Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Spence, Chris Rainey and Marquis Maze "phenoms" of OTAs

Sean Spence, Chris Rainey and Marquis Maze "phenoms" of OTAs

Friday, 08 June 2012

Written by Ed Bouchette

Good morning,

Some stuff as we close the books until training camp:

--- There have been a few “phenoms” during these OTAs, players such as rookies Sean Spence, Chris Rainey and Marquis Maze. Let’s remember what these spring practices are, however. There have been such spring hits in the past – Mr. May, I would call them – only to disappear in August. However, that does not take away from what they have done and they may well continue doing it in August and beyond.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...e-for-steelers

Legend
    I think Spence is really going to push to get into the line...if allowed.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Alabama WR faces maze of obstacles

June 9, 2012
    By Brandon Boyd / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Marquis Maze had a shot.

Maze, then playing for the Alabama Crimson Tide in the BCS national championship, fielded a punt from LSU's Brad Wing and raced toward the end zone.

One defender missed, then two. With two blockers and two LSU players left, Maze made his move at the LSU 40 -- not toward the end zone, but instead hobbling to the LSU sideline.

The whistle blew as he ran out of bounds. He headed toward the Alabama sideline, limping, limping, then pulling up lame, falling to the turf.

He dragged himself across the field and got back up, limping once more until cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick -- drafted in the first round by the Cincinnati Bengals -- ran out to help Maze off the field.

"I have a pride in not laying on the field when I'm hurt," Maze, a Birmingham, Ala., native said. "I was wanting to get off to the side on my own and kind of let the doctor see what's wrong with me once I get to the side.

"Really, it was like, 'It's my last game, I ain't coming out.' That's what was going through my mind at the time."

The prognosis was a pulled hamstring, and it meant the gliding-to-gimpy, 49-yard punt return would be the final play of Maze's college career. Cameras caught Maze crying on the sideline after learning that he would not be able to re-enter the game.

"It was tough. People that seen the game seen the reaction from me on the sideline, so people know I'm a competitor and saw that was a game that I didn't want to come out in," he said, referring to Alabama's 21-0 victory against LSU.

Undrafted and signed as a free agent by the Steelers, Maze has absorbed all he can from the veteran receivers on the team.

"They keep telling me to work hard and, you know, they tell me certain things I can do on certain routes to get open," Maze said. "I really appreciate the things those guys say to me to help me out."

At 5 feet 8, 186 pounds, Maze is the shortest player on the team. He makes up for it with plays that go for long yardage.

"He's a very smart football player. Talented," said Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich. "You can tell he's a playmaker and has always been a playmaker."

And whether it was the punt return in the national championship game, his 80-yard touchdown reception against Arkansas in 2009 or even his touchdown pass against Florida in '10, Maze was the guy who provided Alabama with a frequent spark.

"Big plays. Key plays. That's what I've been known for," Maze said. "Just big plays and key plays in game situations."

Maze will have to come up big in practice and scrimmage situations to make the Steelers. He is competing with Emmanuel Sanders and fellow rookie Chris Rainey to be a returner, and faces a slew of receivers fighting for jobs.

"I'm not focusing on beating nobody out. I'm just focusing on myself and getting myself better," Maze said.

"Really, my goal is just make the team right now. I don't know what my goals or what the plans of the coaches are, but I'm just working."

Then, humility gave way to confidence.

"I'm working my tail off, really, to be a starter. I mean, if I only work to be a fifth guy, then I don't think I'm working or I don't think I have confidence in myself. And I do have a lot of confidence in myself."

"Heart of a lion," he added the next day. "Heart of a lion."

When Maze walked off the field after the final day of organized team activities, there was no hiccup in his step, no limping, no hobbling.

No tears, either. Just passion.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1xInqRnHj

LeBeau: Steelers defense will be fine

June 8, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LeBeau's defense took some hits after the season when the Steelers cut linebacker James Farrior, defensive end Aaron Smith, cornerback Bryant McFadden -- all 2011 opening-day starters -- longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke retired, and cornerback Willliam Gay signed with Arizona.

Yet there isn't much competition for starting jobs.

Ziggy Hood replaced Smith at left end and stayed there last season, although he will be pushed by Cameron Heyward. Larry Foote takes over at the buck linebacker spot for Farrior, yet he has another big talent behind him as was the case when Lawrence Timmons pushed Foote all the way to sign with Detroit in 2010.

LeBeau raved about rookie Sean Spence, a third-round draft choice from Miami.

"I don't have any concerns about Larry playing the buck, but we're going to have to replace numbers there. Somebody is going to have to step up in there. We have some guys who are experienced and some who are not. But I do like our draft choice. He's done everything any first-year player could do in coaching sessions without pads. I think we're in the right direction there."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...e-fine-639449/

LeBeau raved about rookie Sean Spence, a third-round draft choice from Miami.

"I don't have any concerns about Larry playing the buck, but we're going to have to replace numbers there. Somebody is going to have to step up in there. We have some guys who are experienced and some who are not. But I do like our draft choice. He's done everything any first-year player could do in coaching sessions without pads. I think we're in the right direction there."
    Translation: "Maybe in three or four years, he'll have the chance to be a starter."

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Translation: "Maybe in three or four years, he'll have the chance to be a starter."
    Which is fine. He's a 3rd round pick...

Sean Spence has been immersed in football and saturated with it from his earliest years. His read and react is phenomenal, as is he speed. IMO, He will pick up the Steelers defensive schemes very quickly, and become a contributor on 3rd downs early this year, and will be starting by the beginning of the 2013 season.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Not fine if he's as talented and as smart as many are saying. If reports are true, he's already ahead of Larry Slow-a-Foote in terms of ability...all he has to do is pick up the D. With his smarts, I can't believe that would take him more than a season. Of course, there will be an actual on-field learning curve, but why should we hold back a potential star-in-the-making in favor of a linebacker who is serviceable, but who couldn't even hold a starting job in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy
    Sean Spence has been immersed in football and saturated with it from his earliest years. His read and react is phenomenal, as is he speed. IMO, He will pick up the Steelers defensive schemes very quickly, and become a contributor on 3rd downs early this year, and will be starting by the beginning of the 2013 season.
    Hope you're right, but it doesn't exactly fit with the LeBeau M.O..
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 06-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah waste his whole rookie contract as a backup player. That's real bright.

LeBeau would play a bad veteran over a promising young player.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Yeah waste his whole rookie contract as a backup player. That's real bright.

LeBeau would play a bad veteran over a promising young player.

One issue is who will take charge to call the defensive signals. Foote knows the defense and the calls to make. Can Timmons fulfill this responsibility?
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL