Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers’ Keith Butler content in wings

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Did you know that Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been a very good playoff quarterback since 2008? He has 5 TDs and 5 INTs in 4 games since then with an average QB rating in the 70s.

He's jumped the shark.
    Then they can trade him and you guys get what you want. 45 runs a game and no rings.

Enjoy!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Timmons doesn't strike me as being the sharpest tool in the shed. Nor does he seem to have leadership qualities ... nor the qualities to be "the guy" calling the plays. "That guy" would have been Hightower if DeCastro wasn't on the board.
    And where would Hightower be if we drafted him? Sitting as a backup for as long as LeBeau is here "learning" the defense.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Looks like Starks isn't coming back since Ben wants him. The kiss of death.
    I think Ben wore 78 last season too. Ben is close to Willie Colon and max Starks.

I think steelers will sign Max Starks if healthy. Instant upgrade over J scott. FO likes Max Starks. I am not sure if Tomlin likes him though.

Offense started to perform when Max Starks became the LT last season. I don't think thats a coincidence.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And where would Hightower be if we drafted him? Sitting as a backup for as long as LeBeau is here "learning" the defense.
    Well, I don't know... My expectations would have been that Hightower would be immediately the starter and potentially calling the plays. If not, I would see Woodley or Clark being the second best option at playcalling... not Timmons.

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I think Ben wore 78 last season too. Ben is close to Willie Colon and max Starks.

I think steelers will sign Max Starks if healthy. Instant upgrade over J scott. FO likes Max Starks. I am not sure if Tomlin likes him though.

Offense started to perform when Max Starks became the LT last season. I don't think thats a coincidence.
    You are right. Can't remember if it was in training camp or when it was, but Ben did wear his jersey at some point.

Completely agree with resigning Starks. He is a much better option that J. Scott and likely cheaper, too.

Butler: Replacing Farrior isn't easy

June 8, 2012
    By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At a brief media session yesterday after the final organized team activity of 2012, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler seemed to talk as much about players who didn't participate as the ones who did.

That stands to reason. With James Farrior gone, James Harrison a scratch for the OTAs, LaMarr Woodley not practicing and Jason Worilds recuperating from wrist surgery, a lot of veteran talent was missing.

But Butler seemed pleased with what he has seen thus far in some junior members of the linebacker corps, with one caveat: "Here's the deal -- they all look good in shorts. Its almost like a beauty contest. But, when the hittin' starts, we'll find out about 'em."

He has found out, however, that third-round pick Sean Spence -- who made an eye-catching interception in drills yesterday -- is a quick study and likely will see game action this season.

"He's coming along well. A very sharp young man. He's picking up our system as good as anybody has at this point," Butler said.

"He's showed me some things ... I wouldn't say he's not going to play. The fact of the matter is, since I've been here, we've never had a rookie start for us -- not Lawrence Timmons, not LaMarr Woodley, not anybody. So we'll see with him. He may not start, but he's probably going to get some playing time."

Butler also singled out second-year man Chris Carter as well as undrafted free agents Adrian Robinson and Brandon Hicks for their good showing in OTAs, but he was most effusive in his praise for the departed James Farrior and said replacing him will be a challenge.

"I won't ever feel good about not having James Farrior. A guy with that leadership type of quality, and knowing the defense the way he knows it, it was easy for him to set the defense. Stuff that comes up -- and it always does -- on the field that you haven't covered as a coach, he can take care of."

Butler added that the experience of 11-year veteran Larry Foote will get them through.

"[Foote] knows what's going to come out of my mouth before I say it ... I think Larry's going to try to fill that void for us in terms of getting the defense set and running the defense. [But] the leadership quality that Potsie brought, I don't know if we can replace that."

Nonetheless, Butler is optimistic: "I hope we'll be as good a defense as we were last year. I do feel good about that."

Harrison has not participated in these OTAs, but Butler said he will join the team next week for minicamp, as will Woodley, who missed practice Thursday.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said that Harrison's recovery from back surgery last year "got better and better as the year went on. He told me earlier in coaching sessions, it's the best he's felt for three years, which was good news."

Butler said that Worilds had surgery to repair a torn ligament in his wrist that he injured last season, but expects to be ready for training camp next month.

"He's going to have full range of mobility, hopefully, when its done. It's just taking some time to heal. We want to be sure about it so when we get to training camp he's ready to go," said Butler.

The absence of Harrison, Woodley and Worilds from the OTAs has not bothered LeBeau.

"The plus of that is some of these younger guys are getting awful lot of snaps," LeBeau said. "I think they'll all be up and ready to go in training camp."

Butler had a chance to leave in the offseason to become the defensive coordinator in Indianapolis, but opted to stay and work under LeBeau. "I love Dick LeBeau. I've learned a tremendous amount from him and I've got too much respect for him to be a guy that tries to push him out the door."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1xFCPDZXo

Keith Butler has some nice things to say about a few of the young LBers like Sean Spence and UDFA Adrian Robinson from Temple.

click on link below to view video:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...0-320ad2c5de62
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 06-11-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Keith Butler says he didn't go to Indy, in part, because they didn't have an established QB. "that's the way coaches lose jobs"

https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:S...alphPaulk_Trib

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Then they can trade him and you guys get what you want. 45 runs a game and no rings.

Enjoy!
    45 runs a game would be nice. Dare to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    45 runs a game would be nice. Dare to dream.
    That would be good...

Especially if most of the 45 runs took place in the second half, to salt away the game...