Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopes are high for 3 young CBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers May Have Another Outstanding Louisiana Native at Cornerback

by Neal Coolong on Jun 17, 2012

Steelers CB Ike Taylor, a native of Harvey, La., was a 4th round pick by the Steelers in 2003. Taylor became a starter in 2005, lost the role briefly in 2006, but regained it and has been there ever since.

In the works has been the development of 2009 3rd round pick Keenan Lewis, a native of New Orleans. It looks as if Lewis will take over the starting cornerback role vacated by William Gay.

Even at a position many consider to be a deep strength for the Steelers in 2012, there still may be another Louisiana product moving his way up the ranks.

Undrafted free agent Terry Carter was noted by Dejan Kovacevic as having three interceptions during Wednesday's minicamp session. Steel City Insider's Jim Wexell noted a few plays Carter made that same day, noting defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's excitement over them.

A team can never have too many good cornerbacks, and while Carter may not have been running with the first team defense against the first team offense, making plays is making plays. Coaches have to take notice of a guy who's simply out there making plays.

Carter was undrafted out of Louisiana Tech (alma mater of Terry Bradshaw), and was All-WAC first team his senior season. He earned that position with only one interception on the year - suggesting teams wouldn't throw at him. La. Tech won the WAC championship in 2011.

This isn't to suggest he is easily on the same path as his fellow Louisiana coverage brethren, but again, making plays is making plays.

He may be the Steelers' training camp hero in 2012.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/17/3091293/pittsburgh-steelers-2012-training-camp-terry-carter-cornerbacks-louisiana#storyjump[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I think for the first time in years we have a good talent base at CB. Now it is time to get a real decent playmaker at Free Safety.

The thought we have to play Denver with Manning Game 1 and Ryan Clark won't play is unsettling. Mundy clearly proved in the last Denver game what he can't do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Gonna be a different story this year. The team was really depleted when we went up against the Broncos.

Plus I think that it will be better for Mundy this time around. He'll have the whole summer to prepare for this game.

I expect this to be a lopsided victory for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think for the first time in years we have a good talent base at CB. Now it is time to get a real decent playmaker at Free Safety.

The thought we have to play Denver with Manning Game 1 and Ryan Clark won't play is unsettling. Mundy clearly proved in the last Denver game what he can't do.
    I'd be interested to see if Cortez, Brown, or Lewis could play safety.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Gonna be a different story this year. The team was really depleted when we went up against the Broncos.

Plus I think that it will be better for Mundy this time around. He'll have the whole summer to prepare for this game.

I expect this to be a lopsided victory for the Steelers.
    Steelers will win but I doubt it will be loopsided win for Steelers. Steelers are more often than not involved in close games.

With healthy D-line i expect Steelers D to perform better. Mundy played well in that game except for the big mistake he made. Maybe it was communication gap.

I still think Mundy is good enough backup safety.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I meant what will WE complain about...not what will HE complain about...if you catch my drift.
    We do have a situation at RB that could be scary. If Ike doesn't do what we HOPE he can do, we may be in trouble. Thanks to the salary cap, we will ALWAYS have SOMETHING to complain about!

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis is going to be a good DB. He needed more time than some, but I like what I seen of him as of late.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

The game plan this time around with Manning at the helm will not involve a cover zero scheme with the safeties up to the line to protect against Tebow's running game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd be interested to see if Cortez, Brown, or Lewis could play safety.
    I'm wondering if this Terry Carter kid could play Safety. Seems like the ballhawk we don't have back there in Clark.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Position battles

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

I did a radio spot with Greg Linelli today and he asked me about which position battle for the Steelers I am most looking forward to seeing - or at least something along those lines.

To me, I feel the cornerback position will be the most interesting.

Currently, Keenan Lewis is holding down the starting spot opposite Ike Taylor, with second-year players Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen pushing.

One of those three will also serve as the slot corner as well. Brown seems best suited for that position, but Allen's athleticism is hard to deny.

Lewis, however, played very well last season as the third corner and has much more experience than the other two.

Unless Dick LeBeau can come up with a way to get all three corners young corners on the field at the same time, somebody is going to be disappointed.

What position battle are you looking forward to?

@ Speaking of Linelli, he has long been one of the underrated and underutilized radio hosts in the Pittsburgh market.

Soon, he won't be.

Greg is moving on to greener pastures. Good luck to him.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha