Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Future RFA Antonio Brown Plans On Taking Different Path Than Mike Wallace

  1. #51
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    750
    Brown is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I hope he sticks around for a very long time.

  2. #52
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,458
    Steelers adjusting to new offense as camp opens

    By WILL GRAVES - AP Sports Writer
    July 24, 2012



    This May 22 file photo shows Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley on the first day of organized training activities at the NFL football team's facility in Pittsburgh. Five months after Haley replaced the ousted Bruce Arians, the Steelers finally get a chance to see what the former Kansas City coach brings when training camp opens on Wednesday.

    PITTSBURGH (AP) Ben Roethlisberger likens offensive coordinator Todd Haley's versatile playbook to learning a new language.

    Time to see how fluent the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and the rest of his teammates have become.

    Five months after Haley replaced the ousted Bruce Arians, the Steelers finally get a chance to see what the former Kansas City coach brings when training camp opens on Wednesday. They dabbled with the basics during minicamp and organized team activities, putting Roethlisberger a little more at ease.

    A little.

    "I'm not saying I can go out and call a game myself right now," the two-time Super Bowl champion said last month. "When he calls a play, I know what's going on for the most part. So we're getting it down to figuring it out."

    And they may have to begin the process without Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has yet to sign his one-year tender. The speedster, entering his fourth season, would like a long-term deal. The Steelers, never fond of protracted contract negotiations, would like their big-play specialist to be in camp. Though Wallace's teammates insist he'll be at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe sooner rather than later, every day that passes without Wallace's familiar No. 17 is one that Roethlisberger will use to develop a deeper rapport with Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders.

    "You're always going to miss something," Sanders said. "Whether it's camaraderie of the teammates or just the physical aspect of (implementing) the playbook. But Mike is one of those guys that's going to get in here and hit the ground running."

    He'd be wise to hurry. For all the firepower Wallace provides, Brown became Roethlisberger's favorite target toward the end of last season. The sure-handed Brown had more receptions over the last eight weeks of the regular season hauling in 35 to Wallace's 26 and added five more in a wild-card playoff loss to Denver, a game in which Wallace made just three grabs for a mere 26 yards.

    While Brown insists it's just a coincidence that he inherited the locker vacated by the recently retired Hines Ward, there's no mistaking the hardworking Brown is considered the most likely to fill the leadership void. It's a comparison the soft-spoken Brown tries to downplay, though he's well aware of the legacy Ward left behind following a likely Hall of Fame career.

    "Hines, he's irreplaceable," Brown said. "I'm just going to do what coach (Mike) Tomlin talks about and be the next man up."

    http://www.dailyamerican.com/sports/...0,277503.story

  3. #53
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,569
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers adjusting to new offense as camp opens

    By WILL GRAVES - AP Sports Writer
    July 24, 2012



    This May 22 file photo shows Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley on the first day of organized training activities at the NFL football team's facility in Pittsburgh. Five months after Haley replaced the ousted Bruce Arians, the Steelers finally get a chance to see what the former Kansas City coach brings when training camp opens on Wednesday.

    PITTSBURGH (AP) Ben Roethlisberger likens offensive coordinator Todd Haley's versatile playbook to learning a new language.

    Time to see how fluent the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and the rest of his teammates have become.

    Five months after Haley replaced the ousted Bruce Arians, the Steelers finally get a chance to see what the former Kansas City coach brings when training camp opens on Wednesday. They dabbled with the basics during minicamp and organized team activities, putting Roethlisberger a little more at ease.

    A little.

    "I'm not saying I can go out and call a game myself right now," the two-time Super Bowl champion said last month. "When he calls a play, I know what's going on for the most part. So we're getting it down to figuring it out."

    And they may have to begin the process without Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has yet to sign his one-year tender. The speedster, entering his fourth season, would like a long-term deal. The Steelers, never fond of protracted contract negotiations, would like their big-play specialist to be in camp. Though Wallace's teammates insist he'll be at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe sooner rather than later, every day that passes without Wallace's familiar No. 17 is one that Roethlisberger will use to develop a deeper rapport with Antonio Brown, Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders.

    "You're always going to miss something," Sanders said. "Whether it's camaraderie of the teammates or just the physical aspect of (implementing) the playbook. But Mike is one of those guys that's going to get in here and hit the ground running."

    He'd be wise to hurry. For all the firepower Wallace provides, Brown became Roethlisberger's favorite target toward the end of last season. The sure-handed Brown had more receptions over the last eight weeks of the regular season hauling in 35 to Wallace's 26 and added five more in a wild-card playoff loss to Denver, a game in which Wallace made just three grabs for a mere 26 yards.

    While Brown insists it's just a coincidence that he inherited the locker vacated by the recently retired Hines Ward, there's no mistaking the hardworking Brown is considered the most likely to fill the leadership void. It's a comparison the soft-spoken Brown tries to downplay, though he's well aware of the legacy Ward left behind following a likely Hall of Fame career.

    "Hines, he's irreplaceable," Brown said. "I'm just going to do what coach (Mike) Tomlin talks about and be the next man up."

    http://www.dailyamerican.com/sports/...0,277503.story
    Give Brown an extension and healthy raise now and worry about Wallace when he wants to come and play. Until he shows up don't even talk about Wallace let alone to him or his agent.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #54
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,458
    Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

    The Steelers offered Mike Wallace very similar deal to Antonio Brown's deal. Brown accepted, Wallace was offended.


    http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/s...84436350386176
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 07-27-2012 at 07:13 PM.

  5. #55
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

    The Steelers offered Mike Wallace very similar deal to Antonio Brown's deal. Brown accepted, Wallace was offended.


    http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/s...84436350386176

    if that is indeed true, i wonder if there will be any hard feelings towards wallace from brown?
    'hmm, wallace thinks he is so much better than me'

  6. #56
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,458
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    if that is indeed true, i wonder if there will be any hard feelings towards wallace from brown?
    'hmm, wallace thinks he is so much better than me'
    actually, i was thinking there might now be hard feelings the other way around from wallace towards brown since this makes it less likely that wallace gets his big $ long-term contract from the Steelers...

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    actually, i was thinking there might now be hard feelings the other way around from wallace towards brown since this makes it less likely that wallace gets his big $ long-term contract from the Steelers...
    That would pretty much toss out the "businessman" angle in regards to Wallace not signing and reporting...

  8. #58
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Give Brown an extension and healthy raise now and worry about Wallace when he wants to come and play. Until he shows up don't even talk about Wallace let alone to him or his agent.
    good call Ovi, looks like the Steelers' FO listened to your suggestion and have done exactly that...

  9. #59
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

    The Steelers offered Mike Wallace very similar deal to Antonio Brown's deal. Brown accepted, Wallace was offended.


    http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/s...84436350386176
    if wallace was offered that last off season or after his rookie year (closer to browns #s last year) he would have been a fool not to accept. just as antonio did

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •