Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future RFA Antonio Brown Plans On Taking Different Path Than Mike Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Amongst all this anti-Wallace sentiment that is seemingly en vogue with Steeler fans these days, I'll stick to my guns in proclaiming that Wallace is still more valuable than Brown. I like Brown, and certainly want to keep him, but there are numerous guys around the league that can do what Brown does. We let Nate Washington walk once upon a time, and he had an Antonio Brown like season with significantly inferior quarterbacking (74-1023-7 for Nate, 69-1108-2 for Brown...I prefer Nate's stat line, since our 21st scoring offense could have used 5 more receiving TD's). On the other hand, no one else can offer the unique dimension that Wallace gives us. There are other fast guys in the league, but not to the tune of 171-3206-24 in their first 3 seasons in the league. Wallace is the one who is opening up things for Brown. Brown is solid...Wallace is spectacular.
    I don't agree that Wallace opened it up for Brown, because it seems that Wallace was covered by the defenses in basically the same fashion all year. After game 8 he disappeared and Brown finished strong. Defensive coordinators are smart guys and if they see someone lighting it up they are going to try and cover him (Brown) and make someone else beat them. I'm not sure why the drop off in production for Wallace in games 9 thru 16 and the playoff game, but guys like Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, etc deal with this all the time and they are perennial pro-bowlers and all-pros. In an era where 5 or 6 receiving options are available on many plays you don't need a superstar receiver, just a lot of good ones.

Colleges are turning out more polished receivers every year due to the paradigm change in the way NFL offenses are constructed and being run. It won't be hard to stock your receiver pool with an adequate number of good receivers in the draft, because of the development of receivers in college. I don't hate Wallace, but I'd rather have Brown, Sanders and Cotchery together for a longer period of time than Wallace, Brown and Sanders for a year or two because the Steelers open the vault to Wallace and they can't sign the others.

Of course, over the next 2-3 years, injuries, retirements, etc could change the Steeler cap situation, there is a great unknown about the future.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't agree that Wallace opened it up for Brown, because it seems that Wallace was covered by the defenses in basically the same fashion all year. After game 8 he disappeared and Brown finished strong. Defensive coordinators are smart guys and if they see someone lighting it up they are going to try and cover him (Brown) and make someone else beat them. I'm not sure why the drop off in production for Wallace in games 9 thru 16 and the playoff game, but guys like Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, etc deal with this all the time and they are perennial pro-bowlers and all-pros. In an era where 5 or 6 receiving options are available on many plays you don't need a superstar receiver, just a lot of good ones.

Colleges are turning out more polished receivers every year due to the paradigm change in the way NFL offenses are constructed and being run. It won't be hard to stock your receiver pool with an adequate number of good receivers in the draft, because of the development of receivers in college. I don't hate Wallace, but I'd rather have Brown, Sanders and Cotchery together for a longer period of time than Wallace, Brown and Sanders for a year or two because the Steelers open the vault to Wallace and they can't sign the others.

Of course, over the next 2-3 years, injuries, retirements, etc could change the Steeler cap situation, there is a great unknown about the future.

Pappy
    Excellent post.

Hall of Famer
    AB is no sure thing though, in terms of his value as a player. He has a lot still to prove. He had a very good year this year, for sure. But it is only one year. If he comes back and say, gets like 800 yards (which may be likely, considering a new offense), then what?

You do also have to consider Wallace's role in his success. I happen to think AB is a player in his own right, but only the coaches know how much Wallace's presence helped him. It (Wallace) did help Hines extend his career a year or two.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If Wallace is so much better, why didn't he get the nod of team MVP?
    Because Brown got 1000+ receiving yards and 1000+ return yards to set the team record for most total yards in a season. This year, Brown will be focusing on being a WR only, giving up return duties to the likes of Sanders or Rainey, so he won't be team MVP again.

In terms of Brown, you mentioned that he's similar to Steve Smith...you could also mention a few others like Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Percy Harvin, etc. Antonio is working his way up into that class of receiver. Brown is trying to catch up to those guys.

In terms of Wallace, there are several guys who are trying to be like Wallace, but Wallace is still the gold standard. Desean Jackson, Torrey Smith, and Darius Heyward-Bey have similar skill sets to Wallace, but haven't been nearly as productive as Wallace up to this point. Those guys are trying to catch up to Wallace.

Neither Wallace nor Brown is in the "complete package" level of receiver like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, or Andre Johnson. Those man-beasts are in a league of their own. Wallace is smart to use those types of contracts as his starting point in an effort to maximize his ultimate deal, but we all know that the finished product will not resemble the insane $100+ million deals of Fitz or Megatron. It will ultimately look more like the Vincent Jackson/Stevie Johnson/Desean Jackson contracts signed this offseason (but structured as such to help out our current cap situation until the cap is expected to rise when the new TV contracts kick in).
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 06-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.

No pressure on Brown

June 4, 2012
    Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Wide receiver Antonio Brown was voted the Steelers MVP last season, but said winning that honor hasn’t put any more pressure on him this year.

“I wouldn’t say pressure,” said Brown, who has been at the team’s practice facility since voluntary workouts began on April 16. “Every year you want to study tape, study yourself and get better from it. All I want to do is get better from last year and do more than I did last year.

“I just have to work within myself to be better. I just have to take care of my game.”

Brown, who finished the 2011 season with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and two touchdowns, knows that this offseason is pivotal with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley and that OTAs are more valuable than ever this year.

“It’s going to be key for us guys to get in and start studying so we can get on the same page and talk the same language,” said Brown. “It’s going to be special. Guys are here now working out to get the ball rolling. We have to build off it as we head to training camp.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...b-d02ce3a86dc7

Legend
    Brown will have a better season than Wallace this year because the type of offense that haley runs will be better suited to Brown's abilities than the go vertical approach that Arians had. IMO there will be more focus on short to mid-range patterns that Brown is very good at. Haley clearly wants to protect Ben by getting the ball out of his hand quickly. That works against the longer to develop deep routes that Wallace typically is assigned.

Plus Brown is actually at OTAs learning the offense and getting hands on reps.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Brown will have a better season than Wallace this year because the type of offense that haley runs will be better suited to Brown's abilities than the go vertical approach that Arians had. IMO there will be more focus on short to mid-range patterns that Brown is very good at. Haley clearly wants to protect Ben by getting the ball out of his hand quickly. That works against the longer to develop deep routes that Wallace typically is assigned.

Plus Brown is actually at OTAs learning the offense and getting hands on reps.
    Players also noted a greater focus on the play action passing game, which should buy time for Ben to hit Wallace deep.

Steelers, Ravens have 'matchup-busters'

June, 5, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

When it comes to the wide receivers who play their best against the best, the Pittsburgh Steelers are at the top of the class in the division and perhaps the league. However, ESPN Insider K.C. Joyner adds the Ravens' wide receivers into that mix as well.

The starters for both the Steelers and the Ravens rank in the top 12 of Joyner's "matchup-busting" wide receivers, which is based on the best yards-per-attempt average against the defensive backs he rates as the best in the league.

You'll need a subscription to view the entire Insider piece , but here's a portion of what Joyner had to say about the receivers in the division:

Mike Wallace, Steelers (10.2 yards per attempt against top cornerbacks): If you're wondering whether Wallace is worth a huge contract, look no further than this metric.

Antonio Brown, Steelers (9.5 YPA): It will be difficult for the Steelers to keep both Brown and Wallace, but they would retain possibly the best matchup-buster wide receiver tandem in the NFL.

Anquan Boldin, Ravens (9.1 YPA): Boldin has struggled in this metric in past years, so his showing here indicates he stepped up his game last season.

Torrey Smith, Ravens (8.7 YPA): The AFC North has a reputation for being a run-first division but the combination of Smith, Boldin, Wallace and Brown gives this division a compelling argument for having the best group of matchup-buster wide receivers of any division in the NFL.

The Bengals' A.J. Green surprisingly didn't make the cut. His 7.7 YPA put him in the honorable mention category.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...atchup-busters

Steelers can put the screws to Mike Wallace in eight days

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2012

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who reportedly won’t sign his $2.7 million restricted free agency tender until he has to, likely will have to in the next week or so.

If he doesn’t by June 15, the Steelers can replace his current offer with a tender in the amount of 110 percent of Wallace’s base salary in 2011. And since he received a base salary of $525,000 as a third-year pro in 2011, the Steelers will be able to retain his rights for all of 2012 for a mere $577,500.

The authority comes from Article 9, Section 2(f)(i) of the CBA. Though the reduction wouldn’t happen automatically, the Steelers would have the right to do it, if the Steelers so choose. And the window is open for only one day, so they can’t hold it over Wallace’s head in the hopes of getting him to sign a long-term deal.

If Wallace is willing to give up more than $2 million by holding out beyond June 15, there’s a good chance Wallace will hold out into the regular season. After losing more than $2 million by not signing before June 15, losing only $33,970 per week would be peanuts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-eight-days/

Legend
    Unless Colbert's a liar he supposedly has stated they won't do that to Wallace as a show of "good faith".