Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben: "We'll Be Running The Ball A Lot More, So Fans Should Be Happy"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben: "We'll Be Running The Ball A Lot More, So Fans Should Be Happy"

Ben Roethlisberger Still Sounds Irritated About Learning a New Offense

May 31, 2012 by Eric Schmoldt

Ben Roethlisberger never sounded all that happy about the fact that his Pittsburgh Steelers were going to switch their offensive scheme under former Arizona Cardinals coach Todd Haley. And Roethlisberger is still sounding a bit irritated about his new offensive coordinator this summer.

Roethlisberger spends the following interview explaining how the Steelers are coming along when it comes to learning the new offense, but also dips into realms where he tells the fans they got their wish in wanting a more run-oriented offense and that he might revert back to his rookie year where he picked out one receiver and then bolted when they weren’t open.

Ben Roethlisberger joined 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh with Joe Starkey to discuss the new offense, not being comfortable with the change, meeting Todd Haley, the relationship with Haley, a run-oriented offense, if he’ll change his style of play to avoid hits and if he’ll still be allowed to make something out of nothing.

On the new offense:

“It’s starting to come together in pieces. When Coach calls a play, it’s not quite, ‘What’s everybody doing?’ It’s starting to come together and people are understanding and now we can start talking about the little nuances of what people are supposed to do.”

It seems clear from public comments that this change wasn’t comfortable to you. Is that accurate?:

“Absolutely. It’s different. It’s change. And I’m not saying that change is bad, but because it’s different and it’s something that you’re not comfortable and used to doing, you’re not going to be comfortable, obviously. But you’ve got to take the bull by the horns, as they say, and try and run with it.”

What was your first meeting with Todd Haley like?:

“You know what, it was so long ago, I don’t even remember anymore. But that got blown way out of proportion. There’s so many rules that we can’t talk and he was moving. There was so much going on that people decided to make a big deal out of, really, nothing.”

What’s your relationship like with him?:

“It’s just like this offense is a work in progress, so is learning the offense and learning each other. He’s learning me and I’m learning him just as much as he’s learning the rest of the players. So, we’re just taking every day one day at a time.”

But clearly you were comfortable with the way things were, right?:

“Well, absolutely. You do it for long enough, you get comfortable with anything.” So you weren’t necessarily in favor of the change, but you just have to jump on board?: “Yeah, absolutely. You have no choice. And we’re coming along and every day is getting a little bit better and we’re learning and we'll be running the ball a lot this year, so fans should be happy.”

Will you be running it a lot?:

“I think so. … That’s the way it seems. We’ve got some good ball carriers. I know [Isaac Redman] is excited for the opportunity and I know the fans want it, so it looks like they’ll be getting their wish.”

Does not taking as many hits require a change in your style of play?:

“No, I’m just going to play the game the way I know how to play. If injuries happen, they happen. I’m not going to go out and be scared and not play the game full tilt and with everything I’ve got.”

You’ve always been able to make something out of nothing. Is that still part of the gameplan?:

“You might see more of it because I don’t know what everybody’s doing on every play. So it may be like my rookie year where I find one guy and if he’s not open, I start scrambling. We’ll see.”

[URL="http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/05/31/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-new-offense-todd-haley/"]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...se-todd-haley/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We'll be winning alot more so the fans should be happy. I'd rather hear that.

I'd like to see Ben mature into the kind of QB such as who he idolized, John Elway, when the Broncos won their two superbowls. Broncos had an effective blend of run/pass, and Elway threw 22 times and 29 times in those two superbowls. The Broncos ran the ball with commitment and ran it well throughout both seasons and in both SB games. Sure, the game has changed since then, but this Steelers team is capable of more effective mix of the run, and it could contribute to a more effective scoring offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    We'll be winning alot more so the fans should be happy. I'd rather hear that.

I'd like to see Ben mature into the kind of QB such as who he idolized, John Elway
    Hahahahaha.....you mean the guy who threatened to retire if Dan Reeves wasn't fired?

Then sat back as Pat Bowlen hired Elway hand picked confidants left and right?

I wish they would run Denver's offense and treat Ben like Bowlen treated Elway too. Ben would dominate.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm a huge Ben Roethlisberger fan, but he continues to irritate me with his snide little comments. The more I hear from him, the more I want him to just shut up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Much to do about nothing when you hear the comments.

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger Says Offense Will Run More In 2012 So Fans Should Be Happy

Thursday, May 31st, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger once again had a microphone in his face on Wednesday after the team wrapped up their second practice of their second off-season OTA session, and once again he made a few comments that will be interpreted by many as a shot at both his new offensive coordinator Todd Haley as well as the fan base.

Roethlisberger was asked by Joe Starkey if it was just a matter of getting on-board now with Haley after he obviously didn't like the change of coordinators this past off-season to which the Steelers quarterback replied, "Yeah, absolutely. You have no choice and like I said we're coming along and everyday it's getting a little bit better and we're learning and we'll be running the ball a lot this year, so fans should be happy." Starkey reconfirmed what he just heard by asking Roethlisberger if indeed the Steelers will be running a lot this season and if that was the plan. "I think so", said Roethlisberger. He also added, "That's the way it seems. So we've got some good ball carriers and I know Red (Isaac Redman) is excited for the opportunity and I know the fans want it, so it looks like they'll be getting their wish."

In the same interview Roethlisberger continued to say what he has in past interviews and that learning the new offense is uncomfortable as it includes change, not that change is bad though. He also said that he and Haley are still learning each other as well as the offense. All of that is to be expected this early on in the process.

Now were some of the remarks that Roethlisberger made warranted? Was this just yet another case of Ben being Ben? It is obvious that Roethlisberger reads the papers and listens to talk radio, but not all of the fan base wants to run 40 times a game. Most realize that the NFL is now a passing league and that you don't need to lead the league in rushing to win or compete for a Super Bowl. The Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals and the Indianapolis Colts are all prime recent examples of that. When a team does run though, they need to be as effective as possible and there also must be some degree of balance of run versus pass as well.

Now obviously the offense will have a few new pieces on it this year, most recognizably on the offensive line, where there is a chance that two rookies could start and veteran Willie Colon makes the transition from right tackle to left guard. With a new offense being implemented, it will not be out of the question to see the Steelers start the season initially as a run first team as everybody gets acclimated to the Haley offense. After the first few games I doubt you will be able to decipher if the offense is run first or pass first offense. At least I believe that is what the goal of Haley is.

Is Roethlisberger still a little frustrated right now? I think so. Did he just purposefully give Starkey a sound bite that he knew would make waves and have bloggers such as myself writing about it? I think so. Is the nature and tone of the Wednesday interview anything that we haven't seen before from Roethlisberger? Absolutely not. This is just another case of Ben being Ben. It is his little defense mechanism of sorts. It is the way that he motivates himself in my opinion. As long as he executes as he has in the past and is only in the papers because of things he says and not things that he does off the field, I am perfectly fine. This is not the first time we have seen a quarterback in Pittsburgh have a "me against the fans" type attitude and it won't be the last one.

We have a long way to go before the start of the 2012 season, so you better prepare yourself for more interviews like the one Roethlisberger gave on Wednesday. It's just Ben being Ben. Accept it and move on.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/roethlisberger_says_offense_will_run_more_in_2012_ so_fans_should_be_happy/10911539[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Much to do about nothing when you hear the comments.
    yeah buddy, keep rowing that boat.

the guy is a freaking meathead, plain and simple.

i love the way he plays the game of football, but thats where my respect ends.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    yeah buddy, keep rowing that boat.

the guy is a freaking meathead, plain and simple.

i love the way he plays the game of football, but thats where my respect ends.
    I'm sure he's heartbroken.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

but he cares about you, right?

you're a trip man, i have to give you that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    but he cares about you, right?

you're a trip man, i have to give you that.
    I don't concern myself with it. It's amazing to me how this fan base wept for 20 years for the next Bradshaw, and then once they get him (and the success that goes with it) ever since he got here anything Ben does on the field or says off of it isn't good enough or gets twisted.

Just once, I'd like Ben to do an entire interview with just yes or no 1 word answers. Then maybe the media will quit trying to fish for angles that aren't even there.