Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do We Have Too Many DLinemen?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    You leave him out there. Starks gets abused by speed rushers also.
    Starks was really only abused by Aldon Smith recently. For the most part he's pretty sound and has played next to an underperformer for years that hasn't helped him much.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Versatile players in versatile schemes makes it cloudy when teams want to tag a player (franchise or transition). I'm sure the Ravens would like to give Terrell Suggs the lower LB tender, but Suggs would want the higher DE tender.
    Woah, slow down there tex. I was talking from a schematic and strategy perspective. Don't dirty it all up with money talks now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know how you can leave Adams out there if he's the weak link. It takes time to master that position. Having Starks would at least give us some options. Well, again, should make for an interesting camp this year! I think I'll go up for a day or 2. Missed it the past few years....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    As long as Casey Hampton remains on our roster, we'll never be accused on being thin at DL.
    good point, but Chris Hoke has certainly gotten thin (this pic taken at recent OTAs)

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    good point, but Chris Hoke has certainly gotten thin (this pic taken at recent OTAs)

Good to see Hokie hanging around. I think he'd potentially make a good DLine coach in the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Good to see Hokie hanging around. I think he'd potentially make a good DLine coach in the future.
    I agree. John Mitchell isn't getting any younger. Hoke and A. Smith both have the knowledge to be an asset.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I remember a 4:00 game against the Giants a couple years ago at home where there was a goal line stand. I think the Giants had 3-4 attempts and ran Jacobs (who runs high) right off center and he got stuffed each time. There was a great camera shot showing both Casey & Hokie down on one knee while the Giants were in the huddle. They were dug in and ready to blow up the interior Oline so the LBs could hit Jacobs head on. There is just nothing like american football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Then again he is next to Casey. Perhaps it is just our minds playing games with us since there is no other frame of reference.

Someone like Heath might look like Twiggy in that photo.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie Undrafted Free Agent Ikponmwosa Igbinosun Could Land a Roster Spot at Defensive End

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 12, 2012

Every year, it seems as though the Pittsburgh Steelers sign an unknown gem as an undrafted rookie free agent, with a player coming from nowhere to make the squad. This year, the team signed a handful of prospects, who hope to be that player.At a quick glance it punter Drew Butler would seem to be the odds on favorite to be that player at this early stage of the offseason. The former All-American from the University of Georgia has NFL bloodlines, and performed well (albeit erratic) in the toughest conference in college football.

Another player, who is more unknown than Butler, also may have a viable shot at a roster spot, defensive end Ikponmwosa Igbinosun from Southern Connecticut. The Steelers will have at least one roster spot open at defensive end behind starters Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood, and top back up, last years number one pick Cameron Heyward. As the team enters camp, competition for this spot should be one of the best battles in Latrobe.

At this point, Steelers 101 believes that one of last year’s undrafted rookie free agents Corbin Bryant, who should have made the team in 2011, has the inside track at the position(defensive line breakdown May 2012). The 6-4, 300 pound defensive end was originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent out f Northwestern in July 2011 and spent time between their active roster and practice squad during the 2011 season, at one-point taking the spot of Aaron Smith when he was placed on injured reserve. However, like last year when he was challenging for a roster spot, he will face stiff competition.

Igbinosun may be from a small school, but he has solid athleticism and is said to be a leader on and off the field. The senior defensive end has good size (6-3, 288 pounds) and was a bull against the small school competition he faced over his career. As a senior, he was named All-Northeast-10 Conference, All-ECAC and Don Hansen's Football Gazette All-Region honors for his play. In all, he recorded 58 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, eight quarterback hurries and seven sacks. He followed that outstanding season with an amazing pro-day workout, where he posted some impressive numbers including a 4.94 40-yard dash at 288 pounds.

If he shows up and flashes that same tenacity and athleticism, he could make it difficult for the Steelers to ignore him and keep him from the opening day roster. Although, they could try to limit his exposure in exchange for a year of development on the practice squad.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_rookie_undrafted_free_agent_ik ponmwosa_igbinosun_could_land_a_roster_spot_at_def ensive_end/11205682[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

We have stockpiled quite a few DL. Just curious as to what may be afoot. I just read another article about the kid they signed as an UDFA from Yale--Jake Stoller. He is another player about 6'3" 285lbs.

I count about 11 or 12 DL on the roster going into camp. Dare I say what could be on the horizon.........
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"