Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose tackle McLendon has earned Steelers’ trust

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that Casey's salary was guaranteed in exchange for his agreeing to a paycut.

In any event, I don't understand the Casey Hampton hate. He isn't the player that he was when he was younger, but he is still a well above-average nose tackle. On a defense that has lost a lot of veteran leadership, I wouldn't want to rush out a leader who can still play.

McClendon will certainly be somebody who is interesting to watch this year. I'm not quite sure that I see him as the heir apparent to Hampton, but I could easily see him with a Hoke-like career as a super-sub/rotational player. I think McClendon might play more DE than Hoke ever did.
    I agree. Hampton is an asset at his reduced price...for one more year. After 2012 he does need to go away. T-mu will be able to learn and will be a good player teamed with McLendon going forward
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Are you a patient of Nick Riviera?

Mr McCraig [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTz8rKJk-Vw[/URL]
    Hi, everybody!

Why, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg. With a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice writeup on McClendon here:

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1190465.html[/URL]

He gets high praise from Pouncey.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that Casey's salary was guaranteed in exchange for his agreeing to a paycut.

In any event, I don't understand the Casey Hampton hate. He isn't the player that he was when he was younger, but he is still a well above-average nose tackle. On a defense that has lost a lot of veteran leadership, I wouldn't want to rush out a leader who can still play.

McClendon will certainly be somebody who is interesting to watch this year. I'm not quite sure that I see him as the heir apparent to Hampton, but I could easily see him with a Hoke-like career as a super-sub/rotational player. I think McClendon might play more DE than Hoke ever did.
    Some people never grow up...

I could see if Casey was trying to be a model but the guy is a freaking NT. Pointing out his weight is as juvenile as it gets.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I admit that I've been a big harsh on late-career Hampton (I was a big fan of early/mid-career Hampton), and I admit that a lot of it is probably based on perception. Natural inclination is to think of FAT guys as lazy, or complacent, or entitled.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Some people never grow up...

I could see if Casey was trying to be a model but the guy is a freaking NT. Pointing out his weight is as juvenile as it gets.
    Why cant Casey be a model, some one has to be the "before guy"

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers NT Steve McLendon Poised to Start in 2012

by Neal Coolong on May 28, 2012

NFL Around The League writer (and BTSC friend) Brian McIntyre wrote an interesting piece on Steelers NT Steve McLendon, expounding on the work done by Tribune-Review writer Mark Kaboly. The subject of both articles was to show McLendon as a potential starter among the Steelers defensive line.

They both certainly make a good case for it, but they seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Odds are excellent McLendon will be the starter in Week 1.

Kaboly quoted an aggressive-sounding Steelers defensive line coach Johnny Mitchell, who is vouching for McLendon:

"Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over. I'm just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision."

I don't think I need to wait until the season is over. McLendon is reputed to be a workout warrior, and has studied the defense diligently in his three years in the league. He's always had quickness but he's been adding power, reportedly weighing in at 325 pounds.

The drafting of Alameda Ta'amu could, to some, dampen enthusiasm toward McLendon, but the fact is McLendon had been filling in for Hampton much of last season, after NT Chris Hoke's season was ended due to a neck injury.

Coach Mitchell isn't going to give out starting jobs via the media, but the fact he went as far as he did to praise McLendon only suggests the job is his, and the expectations for him are high.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/28/3048145/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-poised-to-start-in-2012#storyjump[/URL][/QUOTE]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought McLendon revealed this offseason that he was now closer to 320 (even though he is still listed on the official roster as 280...much like Casey is still listed as 325 when he has been 350+ for years).

Steelers’ Steve McLendon: I can play nose tackle at 280 pounds
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 11, 2012, 7:05 AM EDT

At 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds, Steve McLendon is not a small man. At least, he would not be a small man if he were something other than an NFL defensive tackle.

But as an NFL defensive tackle, he’s frequently described as “undersized.” And as a nose tackle in Pittsburgh, where they’re accustomed to Casey Hampton showing up to camp at 350 pounds or so, McLendon looks tiny.

McLendon, however, insists that he’s the right size for the job.

“People may say I am not the classic nose tackle, but what is the classic nose tackle? Some nose tackles are big, some small,” McLendon told Steelers.com. “If you look at Jay Ratliff for the Cowboys he is not a big nose tackle, but he plays very well. You look at Casey Hampton and he is a big nose tackle and plays well. I figure I will be in between. If I can move quick at nose and play strong at nose, it’s all going to work itself out for me.”

With Hampton likely to open the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list while he recovers from a torn ACL, McLendon is currently penciled in as the starting nose tackle in Pittsburgh. He says that’s a job he’s ready for.

“I want to be great,” McLendon said. “I have taken my work ethic to the next level. I am pushing myself every day. If the stars are where I want to reach, I need to reach past them. The expectations are really, really high. That should be of everybody in the Steelers organization. The expectation is to win the Super Bowl and be great.”

And McLendon is confident he can be great without being 300 pounds.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/steelers-steve-mclendon-i-can-play-nose-tackle-at-280-pounds/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Will Steelers use Steve Mclendon like jay ratliff or he will be asked to take 2 blockers? I don't think Steve can take 2 blockers consistently like Casey but i think he will be a better player if he goes after the QB.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Will Steelers use Steve Mclendon like jay ratliff or he will be asked to take 2 blockers? I don't think Steve can take 2 blockers consistently like Casey but i think he will be a better player if he goes after the QB.
    In the nickel and dime defenses, he'll be allowed to go after the QB...and since the NFL has evolved into a pass-happy league where you are in nickel or dime defenses for more than half the time, he'll get his chances to rush the passer.