Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Steelers WR Mike Wallace deserves Larry Fitzgerald money

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I still don't understand why anyone would fault Wallace for wanting to get prime value for his play. As big of a Steeler fan as I am I wouldn't take 3 million per year less to play for them. I just wouldn't. And I suspect that is what the Steelers are trying to pull with Wallace. There are certainly teams willing to pay Wallace 10 million per season. The Steelers will be in the 7 million per season range.
    I don't fault Wallace for wanting what he wants, but I am just not one who supports the team giving it to him. Primarily because I do not think he is our best WR and unless a WR is Larry Fitzgerald-good they don't deserve anywhere near $10M and even then I would question how wise an investment that is.

I agree with the $7M range but if Wallace will balk at that just move on and focus on those players who you can make happy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that I will agree with O. He should want it...the Steelers shouldn't want to give it. I wouldn't give him more than 7 million per. If he didn't want to sign for that then play for 2.4 this season and go elsewhere. That would be my stance.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't fault Wallace for wanting what he wants, but I am just not one who supports the team giving it to him. Primarily because I do not think he is our best WR and unless a WR is Larry Fitzgerald-good they don't deserve anywhere near $10M and even then I would question how wise an investment that is.

I agree with the $7M range but if Wallace will balk at that just move on and focus on those players who you can make happy.
    I say pay your QB, your pass rushers, your CBs, and your tackles. Then allocate money to special players. Use less money on everyone else.

WRs are a dime a dozen.

Larry Fitgerald and Megatron aren't bringing their teams championships.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would agree with that Flippy. I watched Brady dissect D's for several years with questionable talent at WR.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would agree with that Flippy. I watched Brady dissect D's for several years with questionable talent at WR.
    I've seen Ben do it. I've seen Elway do it. I've seen Marino do it.

Great QBs can make do with just about any WR.

At the end of the day, a WR is not going to be the difference between winning and losing a SuperBowl. Granted, you may need a WR to make a play, but they just don't make an impact on the outcome of games like other key positions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that I will agree with O. He should want it...the Steelers shouldn't want to give it. I wouldn't give him more than 7 million per. If he didn't want to sign for that then play for 2.4 this season and go elsewhere. That would be my stance.
    Your stance, my stance and most importantly close to the stance of the Steelers FO.

Flippy hit the nail on the head. There are positions you pay premium dollars to and WR IS NOT one of them. For WRs it is about the group not the individuals. A good group of WRs can trump an outstanding WR in terms of performance and value to the team.

My position is simple with Wallace---$7M on average per year and sweeten it with a little above the average in guaranteed money. However, if he is a no show on July 25th, move on without him and break off all contract negotiations. Trade him at the first opportunity.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I say pay your QB, your pass rushers, your CBs, and your tackles. Then allocate money to special players. Use less money on everyone else.

WRs are a dime a dozen.

Larry Fitgerald and Megatron aren't bringing their teams championships.
    They may not have won championships, but Larry Fitzgerald did carry the Cardinals to the Super Bowl with the greatest post-season a WR has ever had and Megatron has been a key piece in making the Lions relevant again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't Ward hold out for a few days while getting a deal done. I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Frankly, if you are gonna pay him alot of money, shield him from early traffic in camp. But his arse better be in shape.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers still optimistic about signing Wallace long-term
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 17, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT

Monday’s deadline for signing players with a franchise tag to a long-term contract doesn’t apply to players with restricted free agent tenders, so there’s nothing stopping the Steelers from signing wide receiver Mike Wallace.

Nothing except their inability to agree to terms with Wallace, that is. We heard earlier this month that there’s been little progress or negotiation toward a new deal, but the Steelers don’t seem to have given up hope. John Clayton of ESPN reports that people inside the organization have told him that they remain optimistic about getting a deal done in the next couple of weeks.

“So even though nothing is close at the moment, there is still time before the start of camp and people in the Steelers organization are confident they can get something done, that there will be no holdout, and Wallace will be signed to a long-term deal,” Clayton said.

If a deal does get done now, it will be on the Steelers’ terms. Wallace can hold out or he can sign the tender, but there’s no risk of losing him and, therefore, no reason for the Steelers to budge much from their preferred deal.

Avoiding a holdout would be good in terms of Wallace learning the offense being installed by new coordinator Todd Haley, but there’s not actually any deadline looming. The two sides can work out a deal through Week 10 without Wallace signing his $2.77 million tender or at any point in the year if he does sign the tender.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/17/report-steelers-still-optimistic-about-signing-wallace-long-term/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't understand the "would he be as good with another QB" line...

Would Brady be successful if he was on the Browns? Would Ben or Eli be elite if they were drafted by the Bucs and Miami.

A WR who is fortunate to have an elite QB has a chance to make money if he produces...why should Wallace negotiate based on the other 50 WR's who aren't in his position?

he should try but the steelers should realize he can easily be replaced by those other 50 guys for far less.