Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers WR Mike Wallace deserves Larry Fitzgerald money

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's right. Plaxico leaves and we win a Super Bowl. Holmes leaves and we make it to the Super Bowl. Add in names like Yancey Thigpen and others but the bottomline is that you can't dump all your money into one WR. In today's NFL you need three very good WRs. It's nice if one is great but not necessary to win.

We saw last season that we can still win games with Wallace doing very little except being a decoy
    Agree... I think the Steelers have the same mindset. They won't pay Wallace that type of money. His game is driven on speed.. he stretches the field. That's great but the Steelers won't value that 1 attribute to the tune of 10-15 million a year.

If you trade a player on which you have applied the first round tender, does the tender get traded with the player? Meaning, does the team you traded with only have to pay him the tender salary for the one year and then negotiate a new contract? Or, are the Steelers the only team that can retain Wallace's services for the 2.7 million for this year?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

l

I honestly don't know...

It may be that, since the player isn't under contract, he can't be traded...or, perhaps only the rights to negotiate with the player can be traded...

I'll have to look it up...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Agree... I think the Steelers have the same mindset. They won't pay Wallace that type of money. His game is driven on speed.. he stretches the field. That's great but the Steelers won't value that 1 attribute to the tune of 10-15 million a year.
    I think Antonio Brown could also stretch the field if assigned to run those routes. No way is he as fast as Wallace but when he has gone deep he gets open more often than not.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Ed: Steelers Brown Won't Hold Out as RFA

THURSDAY, 31 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Wide receiver Antonio Brown, who could be in the same boat as Mike Wallace this time next year, said no matter what, he does not plan to stay away from OTAs.

“Whatever the case may be, I plan on being here.”

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then and Brown did not state he definitely would not stay away, just that his plans are to be here. He and Emmanuel Sanders both could be restricted free agents one year from now. If the Steelers do not sign Wallace and he goes elsewhere as a free agent next year, a twin holdout by Brown and Sanders would leave the cupboard at wide receiver pretty bare.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...old-out-as-rfa

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ed: Steelers Brown Won't Hold Out as RFA

THURSDAY, 31 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Wide receiver Antonio Brown, who could be in the same boat as Mike Wallace this time next year, said no matter what, he does not plan to stay away from OTAs.

“Whatever the case may be, I plan on being here.”

Of course, a lot can happen between now and then and Brown did not state he definitely would not stay away, just that his plans are to be here. He and Emmanuel Sanders both could be restricted free agents one year from now. If the Steelers do not sign Wallace and he goes elsewhere as a free agent next year, a twin holdout by Brown and Sanders would leave the cupboard at wide receiver pretty bare.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...old-out-as-rfa
    The attitude that a team guy should have. We'll see if it lasts.

If you add up what we have read recently: Need to sign three WRs starting next year, more use of TE Heath Miller, more use of RBs in passing game, running more, etc. Why then would you even consider paying Wallace $9-10M per year because other teams over paid other WRs?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    The attitude that a team guy should have.
    Is Troy Polamalu not a team guy because he had not been attending the voluntary OTA's for the last several seasons?

Pro Bowler
    The attitude that a team guy should have. We'll see if it lasts.

If you add up what we have read recently: Need to sign three WRs starting next year, more use of TE Heath Miller, more use of RBs in passing game, running more, etc. Why then would you even consider paying Wallace $9-10M per year because other teams over paid other WRs?
    Because Wallace is the teams best and most explosive offensive weapon.

I keep reading people suggesting that players get X amount of dollars per year. That's not fact in regard to NFL contracts. The NFL is not the NBA or MLB where contracts are guaranteed. Many NFL contracts are back loaded with money that many players will never see. The money that matters most is the signing bonus/guaranteed money. Guaranteed money is probably going to be the biggest obstacle in contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Guaranteed money is probably going to be the biggest obstacle in contract negotiations.
    here is Larry Fitzgerald's contract:

8 years / $120,000,000 - Guaranteed Money $50,000,000

since Wallace wants Larry Fitzgerald $, this is the neighborhood that Wallace is asking for. I fully realize the Steelers are not going to give him this kind of $, but for those who think that we can lowball Wallace and he will accept I think you are mistaken.

Legend
    Not going to be cheap.