Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 224

Thread: Steelers WR Mike Wallace deserves Larry Fitzgerald money

  1. #21
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,467
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace already proved himself. What more do you need to see? Wallace would be crazy to settle for 3 years at 15 million. With the Steelers or another team, Wallace needs to get as much money as he can while he can.
    Wallace proved that he can't beat double teams and he struggles when teams plan to take him out of the game. He vanished in the last half of last season and while he is a good receiver he is far from a complete receiver who deserves Top 3 money. It's really a moot point because the Steelers cap situation will not allow them to pay him anything close to that type of money...not this year or next year.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    The answer is not to give Wallace so called Larry Fitzgerald money but he does deserve fair market value. His market was set with Vincent and Desean Jackson!!! He probably deserves somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 years/55 Million. He does make the rest of the WR's look better because he opens up coverages underneath for Brown, Miller, Sanders and Cotch. He knows that he doesn't deserve Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald didn't sign that kind of contract after his rookie deal, he signed that after a second deal. That's the difference to me. He shouldn't expect or deserve anywhere close to what #7 makes. If he does then his tenure in Pittsburgh will be done after 2012.
    You are right that Vincent and DeSean Jackson are better comps for Wallace. Both guys are explosive but inconsistent. Whether Wallace gets that type of money from the Steelers remains to be seen. I still think the best approach is to let him play under the tag this year and franchise him next year. The cost next year will be high, but looking at it as a 2 year, $12 million deal, that really is pretty reasonable.

    The article really shows that stats only tell part of the story.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Remind how well Larry Fitzgerald's team is doing on the field after grossly overpaying for a WR and sucking up that much of their cap space to a single WR?

    Sorry not the model I want to follow. If a team is stupid enough to pay Wallace that kind of money they can be a .500 or less team too. It won't be the Steelers.
    This is a great point. Not only is Wallace CLEARLY inferior to Fitz, NO RECEIVER can eat up that much cap space without being detrimental to the team. Fitz is the very best IMHO but giving HIM that much money is plain stupid.

  4. #24
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is a great point. Not only is Wallace CLEARLY inferior to Fitz, NO RECEIVER can eat up that much cap space without being detrimental to the team. Fitz is the very best IMHO but giving HIM that much money is plain stupid.
    I agree... great point by Ovi but we also need to realize AZ gave Fitz that money because he pretty much walked them into the SB with his presence.

    This is why Ben is making Fitz money...

  5. #25
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,467
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree... great point by Ovi but we also need to realize AZ gave Fitz that money because he pretty much walked them into the SB with his presence.

    This is why Ben is making Fitz money...
    Regardless of the why, the reality is that in a cap driven salary structure where we are up against the limit again this year and next paying Wallace anything close to what the WRs made this off season in their FA signing will be near impossible. We have already restructured quite a lot with the major signings we have made over the past 2-3 years and there really isn't much room until the big TV money hits in 2014.

    The key about successfully managing within the cap is that certain positions become bill payers for others. We pay our defense a large percentage of our cap which means we have to economize at other positions. If Brown repeats the season he had last year and Sanders can stay healthy it wouldn't surprise me one bit that we economize at WR and let Wallace walk
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #26
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,517
    This Wallace talk is frustrating.... Look at the bright side of things, the Steelers won't pay Wallace that type of money. It'll never happen.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Regardless of the why, the reality is that in a cap driven salary structure where we are up against the limit again this year and next paying Wallace anything close to what the WRs made this off season in their FA signing will be near impossible. We have already restructured quite a lot with the major signings we have made over the past 2-3 years and there really isn't much room until the big TV money hits in 2014.

    The key about successfully managing within the cap is that certain positions become bill payers for others. We pay our defense a large percentage of our cap which means we have to economize at other positions. If Brown repeats the season he had last year and Sanders can stay healthy it wouldn't surprise me one bit that we economize at WR and let Wallace walk
    I wouldn't be surprised at all... we let a few WR go who had great talent and we haven't skipped a beat.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all... we let a few WR go who had great talent and we haven't skipped a beat.
    And those guys played well in the postseason...

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Perhaps it's a good problem to have for the Steelers. They are so good at drafting and developing talent that they can't afford to keep it all!

  10. #30
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,467
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all... we let a few WR go who had great talent and we haven't skipped a beat.
    That's right. Plaxico leaves and we win a Super Bowl. Holmes leaves and we make it to the Super Bowl. Add in names like Yancey Thigpen and others but the bottomline is that you can't dump all your money into one WR. In today's NFL you need three very good WRs. It's nice if one is great but not necessary to win.

    We saw last season that we can still win games with Wallace doing very little except being a decoy
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •