Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Isaac Redman Shoulder The Load For The Steelers' Running Game in 2012?

Legend

User Info Menu

THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Some stuff:

--- There is one play for me that told me Isaac Redman can be a productive player for the Steelers, and that was the third-down, nine-yard TD catch he made in Baltimore on Dec. 5, 2010 that virtually clinched the AFC North Division. It helped the Steelers reach a Super Bowl.

Redman’s style will be more important to this offense as it tries to revive its running game. He also showed with that reception that he can catch a football in a tense spot over the middle.

--- I’ve always been a pretty good catcher . . . I can make guys miss after the catch,’’ Redman said Wednesday. “Hopefully that will open up our passing games.”

--- Redman also said things have changed for him these days back home in New Jersey, where he’s getting more respect.

“It’s a lot different. I’m having a football camp for youth [June 26 at Paulsboro High School]. In my neighborhood, I get a lot different treatment now when I’m home than when I was on the practice squad.”

--- Undrafted rookie receiver Marquis Maze was a playmaker at Alabama, but boy does he look small on that football field with the Steelers, who list him as 5-8, 186 pounds. Don’t know how the quarterbacks find him. Chris Rainey is listed as 5-9, 180. Is there a spot for two smurfs on the Steelers offense?

--- Jason Worilds always seems to have some minor injury holding him back. This should be his year to step up, although not as a starter. However, if an injury occurs, the Steelers need to turn to him to fill in on the outside and not take Lawrence Timmons from the inside.

--- If Trai Essex could make the conversation from tackle, where he played at Northwestern and the position for which the Steelers drafted him, then Willie Colon can do it.

--- James Harrison remains outspoken on a variety of topics and that should come as no surprise because of the position he plays. After all, his predecessors included Joey Porter and Greg Lloyd at right outside linebacker. It’s not been a spot for shrinking violets with the Steelers.

--- YOU: Dan Rooney, if he's coming back for good, will he be more involved with the team? Remember you said this guy attended Steeler practices for seventy years since he was a young kid.

ME: As long as Dan Rooney draws a breath, he will be involved with the Steelers. Being here instead of in Dublin, Ireland, I would say yes he’ll be more involved than he has been the past three years.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116482-ed-essex-believes-adams-can-step-in[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Mendenhall needs to be selfish

May 24th, 2012

Rashard Mendenhall has worked out on his own at a feverish pitch during the first two days of organized team activities.

The way he looks running up and down the sidelines at the Steelers’ facility makes you wonder if he will be back sooner than expected from the torn ACL he suffered in Cleveland during the regular-season finale last year.

Well, he could be ready sooner, but don’t expect him to push to get back early.

Mendenhall’s contract is up after the year, and you really can’t blame him for not wanting to rush back.

Think about it, why would he rush back? So he shows the rest league what a less-than-100 percent Rashard Mendenhall looks like during a contract year if the Steelers decide he’s not in their plans anymore?

Honestly, Mendenhall needs to be selfish with this situation. He needs to make sure he is 100 percent before he gets on the field more to ensure his long-term future in the league. He will be 25 soon, and we all know running backs don’t last past 30 too very often, so it would be smart if Mendenhall takes his time.

“I am not targeting anything,” Mendenhall said after Wednesday’s OTA. “I don’t have a time frame. I just want to get back to 100 percent, and right now, I feel good about it. Everything is going well.”

To quote Mike Tomlin, there might be some short-term misery with the lack of experienced depth the Steelers have at running back, but it just may pay off substantially in November and December.

An ACL injury typically takes 9-10 months to heal following surgery. Mendenhall is close to five months out from his surgery.

A little quick math puts Mendenhall back in the lineup by November. Since it is an unknown if Isaac Redman can carry a load for an entire season, Mendenhall could be ready to step in and help at the perfect time.

A fully rested and totally healed Mendenhall in the lineup for the last month of so of the season to share time with Redman would be something that could really benefit the Steelers’ offense down the stretch.

And it could really benefit Mendenhall’s wallet in the long run as well.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/05/24/mendenhall-needs-to-be-selfish/#.T74388ZUab8.twitter[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Rashard Mendenhall not ruling himself out for Week One

Posted by Josh Alper on May 25, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    When Steelers running back [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4652/rashard-mendenhall"]Rashard Mendenhall[/URL] tore his ACL in the season finale, it created some doubt about whether he’d be able to get back on the field in time to help the team during the 2012 season.

Mendenhall still isn’t sure [URL="http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1849354-85/mendenhall-steelers-season-running-2012-career-didn-doing-final-isaac"]when he’ll be back[/URL], but he’s adamant that he won’t miss the entire season. Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the team is prepared for the possibility that he will have to start the year on the PUP list, but Mendenhall isn’t willing to give up hope that he’ll be on the field for the Sunday night game against the Broncos on September 9th.

“There’s always the possibility,” Mendenhall said. “I’ll be back at some point. It’s just a matter of what point that is.”

Mendenhall said that he has been running and cutting, but that he also still has soreness and swelling in the knee. That makes it difficult to predict what kind of shape Mendenhall will be in when September rolls around. The fact that he’s entering the final year of his contract makes it more likely that Mendenhall will make sure he’s fully ready to play before pushing himself too far too fast.
    [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5544/isaac-redman"]
    Isaac Redman[/URL] will likely take Mendenhall’s place in the starting lineup with [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5709/jonathan-dwyer"]Jonathan Dwyer[/URL], [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6730/baron-batch"]Baron Batch[/URL] and rookie [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7507/chris-rainey"]Chris Rainey[/URL] also in the backfield mix.
    Competition fueling Mendy's recovery?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Definitely Jooser! Mendenhall has watched Redman succeed behind this OL and every RB knows all it takes is a few successful games to lose your starting role.. especially when the new RB is signed on the cheap.

Plus we have a stable of young unproven guys who will get touches with this new and improved OL.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Definitely Jooser! Mendenhall has watched Redman succeed behind this OL and every RB knows all it takes is a few successful games to lose your starting role.. especially when the new RB is signed on the cheap.

Plus we have a stable of young unproven guys who will get touches with this new and improved OL.
    I would add to that the prospect of running behind that line has to make Mendy excited. Last year I felt Mendy didn't trust his line early in the season. He only began to hit holes better when IRed started showing him up a bit. I would think Mendy sees the chance for having some real holes opened for him this year. Couple that with added emphasis to running and screen passess...well, it plays right into putting RB in the spotlight a little bit. If that doesn't motivate a back to rehab and get back then I don't want said back on the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rashard Mendenhall hasn’t ruled out a return for the Steelers’ opener

by The Football Fan Spot:
    March 25, 2012

Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL week 17 last year and the Steelers are handling the situation such that they’ll view anything they can get from Mendenhall in 2012 a bonus.

They’ve talked up new lead back Isaac Redman this offseason and used a 5th round pick on Chris Rainey to go with Redman and Jonathan Dwyer. However, Mendenhall hasn’t ruled out a return for the Steelers’ opener. Any talk of that is overly optimistic at this point. My money would be on him starting the season on the PUP and returning sometime around October or November.

If Isaac Redman impresses in Mendenhall’s absence, he might not find the lead back job available when he returns and instead have to settle for a split in carries between him and Redman in the final year of his rookie deal. He might not be resigned either after the season. Nothing is certain at all for Mendenhall in the future.

Original Story: [URL]http://footballfanspot.com/rashard-me[/URL]...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Paulsboro High School product, current Pittsburgh Steeler Isaac Redman confirms football camp details

Published: Monday, June 04, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Isaac Redman has confirmed the details for his upcoming camp at his alma mater of Paulsboro High School.

He’s also confirmed who will be joining him.

Redman will be bringing a host of teammates and another Paulsboro product — current New England Patriots linebacker Alex Silvestro — with him when he returns to South Jersey for his inaugural Redzone Football Camp at the end of this month.

Fellow Steelers will include center Maurkice Pouncey, cornerback Keenan Lewis, guard Ramon Foster and breakout wide receiver Antonio Brown.

“I’m just happy these guys said they would do it for me,” Redman said. “Everyone I asked was more than willing to come. I know there are kids in the neighborhood that have never gotten a chance to see the guys they watch on TV or play with on Playstation. I hope this is something they remember for the rest of their lives.”

The camp, originally slated to include just athletes in the age bracket of 12-17, will now allow players as young as 8, after Redman received a lot of interest in expanding the camp.

“A lot of younger kids were inquiring about it,” Redman said. “I didn’t want it to feel like I was letting anyone down in the neighborhood. A lot of people I know were asking if younger kids could come and I decided to lower the age limit and let everyone come.

“This is for the youth, that’s why you do it. And when you get that type of feedback and that many people that want to come and be a part of it, it’s exciting.”

Redman has decided to give back to the community after a successful collegiate career that included five program records at Division II Bowie State and two years as the goal-line back for the Steelers. He’s hoping this camp won’t just be an annual event while he’s in the NFL, but long after he’s played his last down.

But that shouldn’t be for a while.

“I’m nervous and excited at the same time,” Redman said. “I hope everything goes smooth and I hope a lot of kids come out and have a good time. I’m looking forward to be able to have this every year, even when I’m done playing.”

[URL]http://www.nj.com/gloucester-sports/index.ssf/2012/06/paulsboro_high_school_product_3.html[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense, his Grasp on the System and his Chance to Start at RB

June 8, 2012 – by Brad Gagnon

The Pittsburgh Steelers offense is going through plenty of changes this offseason. Not only do the Steelers have to learn a whole new offensive under new coordinator Todd Haley, but there’s also uncertainty regarding who’ll be the No. 1 back to start the season with Rashard Mendenhall recovering from a torn ACL.

Steelers running back Isaac Redman joined Jim Colony on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh to talk about his chances of starting in place of Rashard Mendenhall, his goals for preparing for 2012, his grasp on the new offense and how the changes could help the team.

On the opportunity he has to gain a major role with Rashard Mendenhall hurt:

“I’m just gonna take it like I’ve done with every opportunity I’ve got — try to make the best of it. If he comes back, then he comes back. If he’s the guy, then he’s the guy. We’re all in this room trying to win a championship so whatever it takes. Right now, I’m just working hard and trying to prepare myself to be the No. 1 back.”

On what he’s working on to prepare for 2012:

“I think I’m gonna come in a little lighter, try to be a little faster. [He's asked if that's it] That’s it. Everything else I’m pretty much … I’ve been very good on blitz pick-up. I’m a student of the game and coaches told me that’s what kept me around, because I’m a fast learner. I’m one of the few guys that’s picking this offense up pretty fast and I just want to be a little faster, and with the speed will come power.”

On if he feels he’s completely ready to go in the new offense:

“No, not by any means. It’s still early but I’m starting to be able to break the huddle and not do as much thinking as I was when we first started. And that’s a big key, being able to break the huddle and not have to think about what you’re doing and already know what you’re doing that you can go out and play fast.”

On if being forced to learn an offense forces everyone to concentrate harder:

“It does. It’s gonna take everybody to go home, watch film, go home and stay in the play book. As far as — last year a lot of guys probably just took it for granted, ‘I know this, I know that,’ and maybe not as crisp as we could’ve been, especially in the red zone last year. So now every single one of us is gonna have to be in our playbook knowing exactly what we need to do and exactly where we need to be. And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running. Now, they got a whole new offense that they have to prepare for.”

[URL]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/06/08/ike-redman-talks-about-the-advantages-of-pittsburghs-new-offense-his-grasp-on-the-system-and-his-chance-to-start-at-rb/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

In this league today, the way offenses are designed and the rules written, RBs are a commodity. It is not really necessary to have a 1,200 yd back to win consistently anymore.
    A reliable back that can manage 3-4 yds/att is all that a team needs to stay competitive and I think there are plenty of those to find around the league, on practice squads, and in free agency.

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaac Redman has no doubts he’s ready to lead the Steelers

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2012

New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh, and the biggest question is who will do most of the running. After Rashard Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in Week 17, it appears that the carrying the load will fall to Isaac Redman. And Redman says he’s ready for that.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

Redman has every reason to be confident after the way he played when Mendenhall went down: In that Week 17 game when Mendenhall was hurt against the Browns, Redman stepped in and had 19 carries for 92 yards. The next week, in the Steelers’ playoff loss to the Broncos, he had 17 carries for 121 yards. Redman says that’s what gives him confidence in himself, and his teammates confidence in him.

“Ever since I’ve been here, I’ve been doubted by everybody — except the players and coaches,” Redman said. “They understand the type of player I am, and it’s why they’ve kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I’m ready to get out there. Hopefully, I’ll surprise everybody.”

Redman called learning Haley’s offense “difficult,” but he said he’s sure the Steelers will make progress.

“It’s tough right now because everybody’s trying to learn this playbook,” Redman said. “You can’t really play as fast you would like to because we’re doing a lot of thinking right now. It’s been a learning process. By the time we get to training camp, we’ll have this thing down. I want to come into camp mentally ready to play.”

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/09/isaac-redman-has-no-doubts-hes-ready-to-lead-the-steelers/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha