Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Can Isaac Redman Shoulder The Load For The Steelers' Running Game in 2012?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think Redman might be on pace to go over 300 carries at the midpoint of the season, but I expect him to split carries with Mendenhall in the second half of the season, and therefore not reach 300. Probably low-to-mid 200's (Mendenhall had 228 carries last season...I could see Redman having about the same this year).
    I'm sure they would like Redman to have that many carries but with his style and the contact he absorbs and delivers on every run I don't see him staying healthy for all 16 games to get anywhere near that. I agree he will end up in the <240 range.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm sure they would like Redman to have that many carries but with his style and the contact he absorbs and delivers on every run I don't see him staying healthy for all 16 games to get anywhere near that. I agree he will end up in the <240 range.
    Part of the reason that Mendenhall had 228 carries is because Redman himself had 110 last year...

I'm hoping that Batch can be a guy who can take some of that load off of Redman as Redman did for Mendenhall last year...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Part of the reason that Mendenhall had 228 carries is because Redman himself had 110 last year...

I'm hoping that Batch can be a guy who can take some of that load off of Redman as Redman did for Mendenhall last year...
    Mendenhall himself might be able to amass in the neighborhood of 110 carries after returning from PUP in October.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Baloney... Mendenhall is elusive and he was busted up by Ray Ray in his first start. Redman is great at avoiding direct contact but it's football and we can't limit a guys touches because we fear for his well being.

If he is effective keep feeding him. There will be games where he will get limited touches due to the way the game unfolds but we won't stop feeding him out of fear of injury.

Steelers' running game rests on Redman

June, 16, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Isaac Redman spent his first training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers trying to get Mike Tomlin to remember his name. These days, Redman's challenge has far more pressing consequences.

The success of the Steelers' running game and hopes of a well-rounded offense fall on an unproven and undrafted backup who was playing the likes of Elizabeth City State in Division II football four years ago.

As Pittsburgh begins its mandatory minicamp Tuesday, Redman is expected to take snaps with the starting offense as he's done in previous weeks. He's earned the right to fill Rashard Mendenhall's spot after he gained 121 yards against the Broncos in the playoffs.

But Redman has to prove his durability. In 36 career games (including playoffs), he's had double-digit carries in four.

"Ever since I've been here, I've been doubted by everybody except the players and coaches," Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "They understand the type of player I am, and it's why they've kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I'm ready to get out there. Hopefully, I'll surprise everybody."

Confidence has never been a problem for a player who went from Bowie State in 2008 to the Steelers' practice squad in 2009 to becoming the team's specialized backup the past two seasons.

Pittsburgh has shown a great amount of faith in Redman after not signing a veteran backup (like Brandon Jacobs, Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant or Mike Tolbert) and not drafting a running back until the fifth round. The Steelers' actions say they believe Redman can replace Mendenhall, the team's leading rusher for the last three years. Mendenhall is expected to be sidelined at the start the season because of ACL surgery in January.

The pressure is on Redman to produce because Pittsburgh doesn't have a safety net. The other running backs have less experience than Redman. Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and Baron Batch have a combined 35 career carries in the NFL.

So, why are the Steelers trusting Redman so much? Although Mendenhall has the first-round pedigree, Redman's between-the-tackles running style gives the offense a better shot at getting back to Steeler football.

Since the start of 2010, Mendenhall averaged 3.9 yards per carry, the fifth worst among the 28 players with at least 300 rushes in the last two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries.

Redman has shown flashes of being more physical and explosive in his two-year career, averaging 4.5 yards per carry and scoring five touchdowns.

"Coming into the season there's always some type of nerves," Redman said. "But once you step on the field and start performing, all the nerves just go away and you just try to perform at a high level, which I'm sure I'm going to do."

Redman won't be the only change in Pittsburgh's backfield. It was revealed last month that the team is converting tight end David Johnson into a full-time fullback. There's also been speculation that offensive coordinator Todd Haley will put more emphasis on the run than his predecessor, Bruce Arians.

Although Redman wouldn't say how much the Steelers plan to run this season, he knows who will be carrying the ball with Mendenhall out.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman said. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=49500

Legend
    Since the start of 2010, Mendenhall averaged 3.9 yards per carry, the fifth worst among the 28 players with at least 300 rushes in the last two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries.
    This is precisely why Mendenhall has lost some fans the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is precisely why Mendenhall has lost some fans the last few years
    It's the "second fewest yards after contact" that lead me to dislike Mendy's style. I think the reason we have so much trouble in short yardage situations is the line gets no push and Mendy doesn't get any yards after he's been hit. Redman always seems to get positive yards after contact ... many more than Mendy. I think if we use Redman to soften up the D we can bring in Rainey/Mendy/Batch who are more likely to use their quickness to start gouging the opponent with the longer runs.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Steelers Records: QB Ben Roethlisberger Poised to Break Franchise Mark for Passing Yards in 2012

by Neal Coolong on Jun 18, 2012

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger already owns many of the single game team passing records. Much of that is due to the much higher frequency of passes thrown in this era vs., say, Hall of Fame QB Terry Bradshaw.

That doesn't dilute Roethlisberger's accomplishments, though. his 63.1 career completion percentage stands alone all-time (well ahead of Tommy Maddox's 58.2) and Roethlisberger's five touchdown passes in a 2007 game against Baltimore and last year against Tennessee tied him with Mark Malone and Bradshaw. Roethlisberger has thrown four in a game on two other occasions.

Barring a disaster, Roethlisberger will break Bradshaw's career yards mark of 27,989. Roethlisberger will start 2012 at 26,579.

He sits 47 touchdown passes from Bradshaw's 212, and he will have done it in far fewer games, and having thrown nearly exactly half as many interceptions (Bradshaw threw 210, Roethlisberger is at 100 going into this year).

Even without WR Hines Ward, who essentially re-wrote the Steelers' entire receiving record book, Roethlisberger looks to shatter most game, season and career passing records. Some of it may be due to the passing era, but Roethlisberger ranked 11th all time with a career 92.1 passer rating and his 165 touchdown passes ties him with Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman for 59th all time.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...shaw#storyjump

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I didn't realize that Ben was so close to breaking the team passing yardage record. He should be able to surpass that mark by October. The TD pass record will have to wait for next year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I didn't realize that Ben was so close to breaking the team passing yardage record. He should be able to surpass that mark by October. The TD pass record will have to wait for next year, though.
    C'mon, it's only 3 TD passes a game and he's got the record!