Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Isaac Redman Shoulder The Load For The Steelers' Running Game in 2012?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    No, not really. Feel free to list all these examples if you wish.

And then what happens if he starts playing Peyton Manning football and eats it? "Ben's scared", "Ben's gun shy".

[/COLOR]
    The play he was hurt on last year... it was over. Out of the pocket and he tries to cut back against the grain.

Gun shy? Because he isn't taking hits like a RB or LB? Who cares if people say Ben is scared if he is healthy and efficient.. I know you will take it personally but I'll take winning and a healthy Ben over winning and a hobbled Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The play he was hurt on last year... it was over. Out of the pocket and he tries to cut back against the grain
    That's one.

Anything else? You said more than enough times.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The play he was hurt on last year... it was over. Out of the pocket and he tries to cut back against the grain.

Gun shy? Because he isn't taking hits like a RB or LB? Who cares if people say Ben is scared if he is healthy and efficient.. I know you will take it personally but I'll take winning and a healthy Ben over winning and a hobbled Ben.
    I hope Ben continues to make plays on the run. He should not listen to crowd who wants him to be turned into Marsha/Peyton and suck into playoffs. I want my QB to play like a man.

A better O-line and WRs knowing their hot routes will keep Ben healthy. Throwing ball away from pocket is a sure way of getting smacked.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

That's one.

Anything else? You said more than enough times.
    vs. Cleveland in the last game of 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I hope Ben continues to make plays on the run. He should not listen to crowd who wants him to be turned into Marsha/Peyton and suck into playoffs. I want my QB to play like a man.

A better O-line and WRs knowing their hot routes will keep Ben healthy. Throwing ball away from pocket is a sure way of getting smacked.
    It's a shame that people think the only way to play like a man is to take meaningless hits and tons of punishment. No one suggested throwing the ball away in the pocket.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a shame that people think the only way to play like a man is to take meaningless hits and tons of punishment. No one suggested throwing the ball away in the pocket.
    Dizz, I agree with you. I'd like to see Ben relatively intact for the playoffs.

I realize there is a balance, and I don't want him to throw the ball away at the first hint of pressure, but at times (like when he was hurt against the Browns) you need to throw the ball away and live to fight again.

Legend

User Info Menu

vs. Cleveland in the last game of 2008.
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-VWtZt13M"]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-VWtZt13M[/URL]

You are blaming Ben for that one, really?
    Last edited by Crash; 06-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Isaac Redman: 300 Carries Over Or Under?

Jun 15th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

With Rashard Mendenhall recouping from his knee injury and subsequent surgery, Isaac Redman is expected to be the front runner as the #1 RB for the Steelers offense. An interesting article from Yahoo! Sports (I use the term ‘interesting’ loosely whenever speaking about Yahoo! anything) discusses (again loosely) the notion of the days of the 300+ carry running back are fading into the rear view mirror of most NFL offenses.

Only two running backs breached 300+ carries last season. According to Yahoo!, that’s very low from the average of 8.5 between 2000-2010. Also last year, 19 teams had at least two backs register 100 or more attempts each. So it appears that most teams are beginning to try and ‘save’ their work horses in order for them to last more than a handful of seasons. Or, at least that could be the trend taking place across the league.

Head Coach Mike Tomlin tends to ‘run the wheels off of his primary backs.’ Willie Parker had over 300 carries in 2006 and 2007. Then the wheels indeed came off – in the form of a knee injury and turf toe. Parker never fully recovered, even after being on the Redskins for a short stint. Mendenhall ran over 300 times in 2010 – which is a surprising stat considering that Bruce Arians was just about set to throw out any substantial running game. So, in five seasons, the Steelers had three that saw one back with over 300 carries. And although Parker or Mendenhall ever really reached the Curst of 370, they still saw their bodies wrecked pretty good – more than likely leaving them susceptible to injury the following season.

Is this a trend in the NFL? Are teams more inclined to ‘rest’ their feature back by giving them less carries over a season? Are teams fully adopting a two back system?

Will Isaac Redman, assuming he will maintain the starting job for the entire season, breach the 300 plateau? If not, will it be of his own doing or new OC Todd Haley’s and how he constructs the offense?

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/15/steelers-isaac-redman-300-carries-over-or-under/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........Knuckle up. Punk.

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

With formations? Absolutely.

But as far as the emphasis on the running game? He only did what he was told to do.
    No Crash, he only did enough to APPEAR that he was doing what he was told to do.... Let me rehash this for you. Players are on record (OL and RBs) as saying that the running scheme was generic in nature. It was never designed or schemed to work in any particular way against opposing teams. The passing game wasn't much better in terms of predictability (i.e. bubble screens), so the offense in general was a generic disgumbobulation of "Ben playing street ball" in order to be half-way effective. It made Ben feel powerful and in control of things and it catered to his ego, to be sure. But, the offensive scheme was an aberration. We occasionally schemed for teams and it worked when the blockhead would do it (i.e. NE* game), but the trouble was the blockhead wouldn't do it most of the time. It was just a bunch of scripted plays, and Ben calling audibles when ever he felt like it. I think it was far past time to bring in a new scheme with some structure and intelligence in design. The jury is still out, but I hope that Ben is willing to prove the nay-sayers wrong, and not Todd Haley just for the sake of saying "See I told you so."
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers Isaac Redman: 300 Carries Over Or Under?
    I think Redman might be on pace to go over 300 carries at the midpoint of the season, but I expect him to split carries with Mendenhall in the second half of the season, and therefore not reach 300. Probably low-to-mid 200's (Mendenhall had 228 carries last season...I could see Redman having about the same this year).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.