Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks according to Sirius today

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I hope that they do sign him. He would be a great mentor for Adams both on the field and how to be a class act as a member of the team.
    I agree O. Up until the San Fran game I thought Max was the team MVP. He is a great asset and someone who could push Adams into becoming a player whose play matches his ability. If it takes awhile for Adams to 'get it' I'm very comfortable with Starks starting at LT.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I agree O. Up until the San Fran game I thought Max was the team MVP. He is a great asset and someone who could push Adams into becoming a player whose play matches his ability. If it takes awhile for Adams to 'get it' I'm very comfortable with Starks starting at LT.
    I don't even hold the SF game against him. Everyone sucked against Aldon Smith last year and Ben couldn't help with his injury.

There is another Overrated and Underrated thread. If Starks was on the team he would have been my clear choice for underrated. Much better than he has ever been given credit for.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks

Jul 4th, 2012 by DomSteelers

I was a bit taken aback when I read a post by Josh Alper last week on Pro Football Talk which read: “Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers.” In the post, Alper discussed how Starks’ rehab coming off of his torn ACL has gone quite well, and that Starks said he is nearing 100%. Unfortunately for Starks, the Steelers apparently are not very interested in bringing him back for his 9th season. According to a recent tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked by Alper), the Steelers “won’t consider Starks until/if Adams fails or an injury to Gilbert.”

I was a tad shocked when I read the aforementioned tweet, because I figured that the Steelers would at least consider giving Starks a tryout or at least a chance to prove to the organization that his knee was healthy coming off of his injury which he sustained in the Playoffs. In fact, I believe that if Starks’ health holds up, he would actually be a valuable signing for the Steelers, because he could bring three very important things to the 2012 team: depth, experience, and leadership.

Depth, Experience, and Leadership

Injuries have completely ravaged the Offensive Line over the last few seasons, but most notably at the Tackle position. Starks, as well as Willie Colon, and Jonathan Scott have gone down with injuries, and turned in some less than stellar performances. This has led to mass shuffling along the Offensive Line and guys like Flozell Adams and even Starks have been signed late in the offseason/during the regular season. To their credit, the Steelers have done their due diligence and acquired two fantastic young Tackles in the last two Drafts in the forms of Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, yet there is not a whole heck of a lot of experience behind both the Rookie Adams and Gilbert who is just starting his 2nd season.

Yet on a positional unit that is just beginning to get settled, disaster could strike in the form of injury or poor play and Rookie mistakes at any minute. With those things in mind, depth, especially experienced depth is a valuable asset to have, and Starks has plenty of experience. Plus, do you want to see Jonathan Scott or another backup with limited experience taking snaps and protecting Big Ben’s blind-side on a consistent basis again? Protecting #7 is the most important thing for this franchise to do, and the best way is making sure that he can stand upright, no matter what sorts of injuries happen at the Offensive Tackle position.

Furthermore, what better mentor to have for guys like Gilbert and Adams, along with the rest of the young Offensive Linemen than Starks? The guy has played 8 seasons in the League, started 79 games over 8 seasons, started at Right Tackle for one Super Bowl winning team, and at Left Tackle for another. He has experienced demotion (when he lost his Right Tackle job to Willie Colon), injuries (missed most of 2010 with neck injury), and all sorts of other ups and downs over his eight year career. Starks knows what it takes to be a professional, play well, and carve out a long career in the League. Because of this, he could be a solid influence for the Offensive Linemen as well as the younger players to look up to in the locker room.

Final Thoughts

Look, I am not on the “Starks Right Now!” bandwagon as of yet. He is still rehabbing the injury he sustained last offseason, and there is still time before Training Camp, the Preseason, and even the Regular Season all begin for this situation to be sorted out. Yet if the price is right for the somewhat cash-strapped Steelers to sign Starks (hopefully Wallace can be signed for at least this season), I say there is no harm in at least giving the guy a tryout. If Starks is signed and does not play a snap this season because Gilbert and Adams play well/stay healthy, then so be it. He was there for depth purposes, and I am sure that he was a valuable veteran Lineman to have at the team’s disposal. Yet if in the off-chance Starks is forced to play, the team can at least know that they have a legitimate and reliable option to go to if disaster strikes. Plus, Starks is a far better backup option at the Tackle position than Jonathan Scott has proved to be over the last two years as well.

Adams and Gilbert may be the future of this franchise at the Tackle position, and both could very well develop into the best set of bookends this franchise has had since probably before I was born. However, depth is key is the N.F.L., and teams’ without any, do not accomplish very much over the long haul of a season. Starks can provide depth, leadership, and experience to a young and emerging Offensive Line. Thus, I believe that the Steelers should not hesitate to bring Starks in this season if he is healthy and can be signed at a reasonable price.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/04/why-the-steelers-should-bring-back-max-starks/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Administrator

User Info Menu

Does anyone really think that Adams can outplay Starks right now?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If Max is limited by his ACL, then yes...

That's the big question....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A healthy Starks? Doubtful.

If the Steelers are committed to giving Adams a shot, the question then becomes, who do you want as a backup, Starks or Scott? As long as Starks doesn't have the leg amputated, he is likely the better option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

If the Steelers are committed to giving Adams a shot, the question then becomes, who do you want as a backup, Starks or Scott? As long as Starks doesn't have the leg amputated, he is likely the better option.
    I think we all know the answer to that one...and the Steelers do too. Its about timing at this point. When will Maxx be healthy enough to occupy a roster spot? At that point, we will sign him.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks

I was a bit taken aback when I read a post by Josh Alper last week on Pro Football Talk which read: “Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers.” In the post, Alper discussed how Starks’ rehab coming off of his torn ACL has gone quite well, and that Starks said he is nearing 100%. Unfortunately for Starks, the Steelers apparently are not very interested in bringing him back for his 9th season. According to a recent tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked by Alper), the Steelers “won’t consider Starks until/if Adams fails or an injury to Gilbert.”

I was a tad shocked when I read the aforementioned tweet, because I figured that the Steelers would at least consider giving Starks a tryout or at least a chance to prove to the organization that his knee was healthy coming off of his injury which he sustained in the Playoffs. In fact, I believe that if Starks’ health holds up, he would actually be a valuable signing for the Steelers, because he could bring three very important things to the 2012 team: depth, experience, and leadership.
    Looks like Kaboly is wrong again. He already deleted the tweet where he said that Starks wasn't coming back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget your also have Trai "I can play everywhere" Essex supposedly looking like he is in great shape. You could dump Jon Scott and have Essex back up Starks/Adams at LT and at LG and at C and at RG and at RT.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks like Kaboly is wrong again. He already deleted the tweet where he said that Starks wasn't coming back.
    For every useful nugget that comes from Twitter, there are always ten turds that someone pulls out of thin air.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.