Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks according to Sirius today

Legend
    Max Talbot plays hockey.

Please refrain from going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The team could open up a couple million bucks by cutting Jon Scott...

If healthy, I'd rather have Max Starks starting at LT instead of Adams this year. Let Adams man the backup swing tackle spot as a rookie before taking over full time next year.

Starters: Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert
    Backups: Adams-Legursky-Foster-Essex (Beachum on the P.S.)
    That's a solid line. Starks is still young... only 30 w/ a ton of T experience. I wouldn't push the Adams starting at LT too far. If he can do it.. and do it well then fine. I just don't want him winning by 'default' especially when he'll be facing the best pass rushers in the league on the left side. I would have no problem having Starks back for 1 year especially as a security blanket.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The team could open up a couple million bucks by cutting Jon Scott...

If healthy, I'd rather have Max Starks starting at LT instead of Adams this year. Let Adams man the backup swing tackle spot as a rookie before taking over full time next year.

Starters: Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert
    Backups: Adams-Legursky-Foster-Essex (Beachum on the P.S.)
    100% agree. Starks is far better than he has ever been given credit for. No reason to push Adams and then react to the crisis that he isn't ready. I really think Beachum may displace someone and be on the Final 53.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Leave Jon Scott alone. He's a Steeler and he tries his best.

Max Starks Almost Back To 100%?

Friday, June 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

If you have been reading the site all off-season you know that I have been keeping close tabs on the ACL rehab of free agent tackle Max Starks. It has been a few weeks now, but Starks has made sure to give updates every few weeks of his progress after tearing the ACL in his right knee in the Steelers AFC Wild Card game.

Friday Starks tweeted that he generated peak force during his squat workout today and that he is feeling close to normal again. He also posted that he is back on the practice field doing his first true pass sets and that it feels good to almost be back at 100%. I asked Starks this past Wednesday via Twitter how the knee was coming along and if he thought that he would be ready by the time training camp started and he replied, "I believe so, but it takes more than just me to believe it."

This is certainly good news and Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert let it be known two weeks ago that he is open to bringing back the Steelers 2004 third round pick during an interview on 105 The X. "He knows that it's a possibility that we could bring him back, and first and foremost for Max and his career, he has to make sure that he's healthy," said Colbert. And that was our message to him is 'Max, there's no hurry for you to come back and to do this right away. We can start and see where things go.' We'll continue to be in touch with him throughout the spring."

Starks has said in previous interviews this off-season that he has every intention of playing in 2012 and that he hopes it is back in Pittsburgh. Several of his teammates are hoping for that as well, most notably of which is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who stays in close communication with Starks still.

The next few weeks will likely give us a better idea of where Starks is at in his rehab in relation to the start of training camp and hopefully he will continue to update his progress. The Steelers report to Latrobe four weeks from this past Wednesday and currently have one open spot on their 90 man roster. Are they saving it for Starks? Time will tell.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...o_100/11121851

That's good news. Adams needs a couple seasons to develop. I anticipate a nightmare on the left side if Starks isn't healthy.

Hall of Famer
    It would be nice to know Adams Wunderlic score but alas, that is not to be the case.

http://www.footballnation.com/conten...y-wrath/14236/

Roger Goodell: Leak Wonderlic Results; Feel my Wrath

Roger Goodell has warned all 32 teams around the league that if Wonderlic test results are leaked, they will face significant discipline.

The Wonderlic test, is a timed test that is used to determine the "IQ" of an indivdual player, or measure their overall cognitive ability. The individual taking the test has 12 minutes to answer 50 questions of various subjects. The Wonderlic test itself is generally associated with the NFL since the 1970s, but it is also a common test for employers around the country for screening job applicants during the pre-interview process.

Some argue that the Wonderlic test is an unnecessary and outdated test for college players who are entering the Draft or are invited to participate at the NFL Combine. Most players likely score low on their first attempt and usually take it a second time. There is no such thing as a pass or fail on a Wonderlic test, but the closest score to 50 means that particular person is theoretically smart. An average Wonderlic score usually measures around 22.

Interestingly enough, the highest Wonderlic scores are among players who are tied with mediocrity and have only had average NFL careers if not below average. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a near perfect 48, while players such as Drew Brees and Peyton Manning both scored a 28. Even Dan Marino scored only a 16 on his first try, while still going on to be an NFL Hall of Famer.

Based on the Wonderlic, does that mean that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better football mind than Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and even Dan Marino? Some teams and scouts value Wonderlic scores highly, but what if Peyton Manning would have scored a 10 or lower? Does that mean he should go in the 5th round of the NFL Draft?

If Roger Goodell wants to fine teams for leaking such information to the public, then fine. The public has the right to know Wonderlic scores associated with their favorite players just as they have the right to know how fast a certain player runs the 40-yard dash. This is just another wave of uneccesary threats that the commissoner uses to throw his weight and authority around the league.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Max Starks is Healthly, Could Again Add Stability to Offensive Line

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 4, 2012

For Pittsburgh Steelers fans, these past few weeks have been crawling along at a snail's pace as the team prepares for training camp. While there has been some tidbits dropped on the Mike Wallace situation and there have been a couple of small transactions, no sweeping news has truly become known. Although, if fans can read between some lines and look closely at social media outlets such as twitter, they may expect to see a roster move shortly. At the end of last week on twitter, veteran offensive tackle (and Ben Roethlisberger favorite) Max Starks announced he was working on pass protection and felt he was near 100 percent. Something that should ring as music to the ears of Steelers fans across Steeler Nation.

Last season, Starks was instrumental in stabilizing the offensive line once he returned to the team. In fact, one can argue that without him, the Steelers would not have made it to the playoffs in 2011. Unfortunately, his season (like the Steelers) came to a painful end in Denver during the playoffs when he tore his ACL. Yes, Starks is not the greatest offensive tackle, but honestly, he is potentially a better option than veteran Trai Essex or rookie Mike Adams in the starting line up, especially if he can transition back to right tackle where he started his career after being a third round selection from Florida.

For us at Steelers 101, we have been talking about the team signing Starks and releasing veteran Jonathan Scott since early May when we did our offensive line preview and with the news of Starks returning to the practice field, it seems like that is a possibility. In addition, according to our calculations, the Steelers currently have one open roster spot after releasing quarterback Troy Smith and linebacker Brandon Lindsey.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._line/11154146

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Former Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Max Starks is Healthly, Could Again Add Stability to Offensive Line

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 4, 2012

For Pittsburgh Steelers fans, these past few weeks have been crawling along at a snail's pace as the team prepares for training camp. While there has been some tidbits dropped on the Mike Wallace situation and there have been a couple of small transactions, no sweeping news has truly become known. Although, if fans can read between some lines and look closely at social media outlets such as twitter, they may expect to see a roster move shortly. At the end of last week on twitter, veteran offensive tackle (and Ben Roethlisberger favorite) Max Starks announced he was working on pass protection and felt he was near 100 percent. Something that should ring as music to the ears of Steelers fans across Steeler Nation.

Last season, Starks was instrumental in stabilizing the offensive line once he returned to the team. In fact, one can argue that without him, the Steelers would not have made it to the playoffs in 2011. Unfortunately, his season (like the Steelers) came to a painful end in Denver during the playoffs when he tore his ACL. Yes, Starks is not the greatest offensive tackle, but honestly, he is potentially a better option than veteran Trai Essex or rookie Mike Adams in the starting line up, especially if he can transition back to right tackle where he started his career after being a third round selection from Florida.

For us at Steelers 101, we have been talking about the team signing Starks and releasing veteran Jonathan Scott since early May when we did our offensive line preview and with the news of Starks returning to the practice field, it seems like that is a possibility. In addition, according to our calculations, the Steelers currently have one open roster spot after releasing quarterback Troy Smith and linebacker Brandon Lindsey.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._line/11154146

I hope that they do sign him. He would be a great mentor for Adams both on the field and how to be a class act as a member of the team.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I hope that they do sign him. He would be a great mentor for Adams both on the field and how to be a class act as a member of the team.
    Completely agree. Starks would also do a lot more to push Adams than Scott/Essex, and I'd rather not have to reshuffle Colon and Gilbert and insert Foster if Adams isn't ready.