Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plax Back 2 The Burgh?

Legend

User Info Menu

Plax wanted to return. But the Steelers insisted on a multi-year deal and he took a one year $3 mil guaranteed in hopes of having a big season for a bigger pay day in 2012.

You don't stay somewhere for 6 hours if the interest wasn't legit by both parties.

Legend

User Info Menu

PLAXICO BURRESS, RYAN GRANT AMONG BEST REMAINING FREE AGENTS

By: Jason La Canfora | NFL Network
    Published: May 10, 2012

We tend to overblow the significance of the initial rush of free-agent signings. So often, the teams that make the biggest splash don't truly "win." And we certainly overlook the value of the latter stages of the process.

A year ago, the New England Patriots added Andre Carter and Brian Waters later in the process with little fanfare. The Baltimore Ravens did the same with Bryant McKinnie . Without the contributions of those players, I'm not sure New England would have reached the Super Bowl or Baltimore would've made it to the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough. A key, cheap free-agent signing can do much more than just bolster depth -- it can provide an important starter at a vital position of need.

And there are several intriguing players still on the street right now, eager for an opportunity to prove their worth. At this point, most clubs are focused on evaluating youth, holding rookie camps and assessing undrafted free agents. Some older players are left to sit around for a while and wait for a chance to get a job just before -- or even during -- training camp. Most of them are just fine with that at this stage of their career.

Some clubs are restricted by salary-cap issues and some are waiting for the inevitable rush of injuries that'll force them to turn to their emergency lists and begin making calls. I fully expect the phone to ring for most of the veterans in this list at some point. And frankly, given the health concerns with many of them, allowing more time for them to heal isn't a bad idea, anyway.

• QB Dennis Dixon : He is still young at 27, and it wasn't that long ago that he quarterbacked the Pittsburgh Steelers to a Week 1 win over the Atlanta Falcons while Ben Roethlisberger was suspended (then suffered a torn meniscus the following week and ended up on IR). He's had horrible luck, but he was helluva high school and college quarterback. He's plenty big at 6-foot-3 and was a former 20th-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds. He's an athlete -- period. And I think he's a solid depth quarterback in this league at the very least.

I have always been impressed with Dixon's athleticism, calm presence, willingness to learn and perseverance (anyone who saw his college career at Oregon abruptly end due to injury can attest to that). Some think of him as a gimmick guy, but for most of his football life he was a traditional drop-back passer who wasn't asked to run all over the field.

During his four years in Pittsburgh, there were many in the organization who believed he could be a very effective backup and spot starter. But others in the coaching staff were less inclined to think that way. Still, Dixon came in cold -- without getting reps in practice all week -- and nearly beat the Ravens in Baltimore on a Sunday night back in 2009, after a concussion forced Roethlisberger out of the lineup about 36 hours before kickoff. Dixon has strong Wildcat ability as a situational player, and I still see plenty of upside, too.

Dixon has visited other teams as a free agent, but they've opted to go in other directions. Most recently, Dixon worked out for the Ravens, but they went with Curtis Painter as a third quarterback option (given Painter's familiarity with new quarterback coach Jim Caldwell, Painter's head coach in Indianapolis). There are fewer jobs out there with more and more teams keeping just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, but I still can't believe there isn't a spot for Dixon somewhere.

When I ask personnel people about him, they mention an injury risk, but several sources have told me Dixon's medicals are fine. And in reality, we're only talking about a one-year, veteran-minimum contract at this stage of the game anyway. Dixon can be a developmental starter with the ability to fill a spot role.

Best fit: St. Louis Rams . The Rams have kicked the tires on Dixon. They still lack depth behind Sam Bradford and have to worry at least a little about Bradford having to miss time. Brian Schottenheimer had success using Brad Smith in the Wildcat as the Jets' offensive coordinator, and while the Rams won't want Bradford ceding too many snaps, Dixon could provide a very different skill set.

• WR Plaxico Burress : It didn't work out spectacularly with the Jets, but then again, everything imploded there. (Clearly there were deep-seeded locker room and chemistry issues.) Burress wasn't a problem there and getting better quarterback play in a more robust offense could bring out the best in him.

He remains a red-zone weapon, as evidenced by his eight touchdowns in 2011. The jump balls alone can be enough to win you a game or two. He should be better, I believe, having had a good period of time to re-adjust to NFL life after his prison stint. The Eagles are among several teams that could use a tall receiver, and Burress has made it clear he would love to play with Michael Vick . But I think there is a better opportunity at a place that Plaxico is pretty familiar with ...

Best fit: Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, receiver isn't a glaring need right now. But Mike Wallace's contract situation could linger. And regardless, Burress makes perfect sense in certain packages. He knows everyone there -- having spent his first five professional seasons in Pittsburgh -- and the Steelers considered bringing him back a year ago, despite his checkered history. He remains on their radar now. Nothing is imminent, but with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders only a year away from free agency, there might not be money for everyone. Burress could be an affordable stopgap guy for them, even if it's only in a role not much larger than the one Hines Ward served last season.

[URL]http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d828ff6e8/plaxico-burress-ryan-grant-among-best-remaining-free-agents/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Plaxico Burress owes $59,241 in back taxes

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 7, 2012

Plaxico Burress may have 59,000 more reasons to want to get back into the NFL.

Burress, the free agent receiver who has played for the Giants and the Jets, owes New York State $59,241 in back taxes, according to TMZ, via the New York Post.

The bill apparently comes from taxes that Burress failed to pay during the 2007 season with the Giants, which was one of his best NFL seasons. Burress caught 70 passes for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns that year, and the Giants won the Super Bowl after that season.

Receiving NFL paychecks again this year would help Burress pay off that tax bill, but so far Burress has been surprised to find out that no one wants him. Unless the Seahawks decide they want to keep collecting aging receivers, Burress may remain unemployed.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/plaxico-burress-owes-59241-in-back-taxes/related/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If he isn't signed in the next 2 weeks, I imagine it could heat up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Plaxico pricing himself out of a job

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, free agent Plaxico Burress wants "too much money."

It's unclear if the Steelers have reached out to Burress, but it's at least intimated by beat writer Ed Bouchette. We would have guessed Burress was in Terrell Owens territory by now — where he would take the first job offered to him — but that's apparently not the case. Perhaps it has something to do with the $59,241 in back taxes Burress owes the state of New York. If Plax is serious about playing in 2012, he won't be able to hold out for top dollar much longer.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter Aug 7

[URL]http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/237421/wallace-to-eventually-cave-report-to-camp[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Bires: Steelers don't need Burress back

Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012
    Mike Bires [EMAIL="mbires@timesonline.com"]mbires@timesonline.com[/EMAIL]

LATROBE -- Training camp observations as the Steelers’ prepare for Thursday’s preseason game in Philadelphia:

** Aging receiver Plaxico Burress remains a man without a team. And as the Mike Wallace holdout continues, there’s plenty of media speculation that Burress could and/or should rejoin the Steelers, who took him in the first round of the 2000 draft.

Right now, the Steelers do have issues at wide receiver, the most serious being Wallace’s greed. There’s concern about Emmanuel Sanders’ ability to stay healthy after foot and knee injuries last year. Beyond that, a host of other young wide receivers – guys like ex-Penn Stater Derrick Williams and rookie seventh-round pick Toney Clemons – have yet to show they have what it takes to be the No. 5 wide receiver.

But back to Burress. I just can’t see the Steelers signing him. He turned down a chance to return to Pittsburgh last year but signed with the Jets because they offered more money ($3 million for the 2011 season).

Burress did catch 45 passes for 612 yards and eight TDs last year. But that wasn’t enough for the Jets to bring him back.

Burress, who turns 35 on Sunday, will play for someone this year. But the Steelers don’t need the baggage he’ll bring along. His list of legal troubles over the years is nearly as lengthy as his football resume. The Steelers’ don’t need him in their locker room.

** Of course, the Steelers’ situation at wide receiver clears up dramatically once Wallace wises up and reports.

** As I noted on the “Steel Crazy” blog Wallace is still listed as a starter on the Steelers’ depth chart even though he isn’t here.

[URL]http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mike_bires/bires-steelers-don-t-need-burress-back/article_543b0e79-27f7-585b-8cf1-35fd7620925b.html[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There must be a reason none of his past teams want him. I thought he was a new man after prison: mature, serious, better attitude. But the old Plex must have resurfaced. Both NY teams, who could use WR help, have no interest in him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someone will give him a shot.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

So he made $3 million last year and can't come up with $60K? And he played for three years of a 6 yr/$25M contract with the Giants before that and 5 seasons with the Steelers. What the hell did he do with all the money?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Someone will give him a shot.
    A shot in the leg?