Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Sanders Confirms to Steelers Gab The Offense is Nearly All Brand New

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Why is changing the language considered innovation? I've never understood why a coach comes in and changes the language and 20 some people have to learn it instead of him adapting to the language that the 20 some people already know. He can still draw up his own plays but he has to call them in a way the players understand. That's just pure arrogance to me.

I guess I need to start the first "Fire Haley" thread.

I see it as Haley being able to say 'this is my offense, it is in no way related to the craap you guys ran last year' everything down to the smallest term is changed so no one confuses anything. Who knows maybe his way is simpler and easier for everyone to understand. Im not making my judgments on Haley and the offense until week 8..... At least i'll try

Hey, I'm new here! I've been lurking for a while but wanted to help on this one. See this article.

It seems like Tomlin thought it was time for a change, with specifically the language, because of divisional opponents that may be "comfortable" with how the Steelers were running/calling the plays. Further, it seems like Haley's MO is doing what works, and working to team strengths. I haven't seen where he has said any differently. I think all this stuff about him putting his stamp on the offense and teaching Ben a lesson or reeling Ben in, has mostly been media generated. I also think this why we're seeing a lot about different language on offense but also hearing that Haley wants to utilize no-huddle or our passing attack.

- Just my thoughts.

Legend
    The media didn't say Ben needed to tweak his game, GM/Coach/Owner Art II did.

Quote Originally Posted by Deesee View Post
    Hey, I'm new here! I've been lurking for a while but wanted to help on this one. See this article.

It seems like Tomlin thought it was time for a change, with specifically the language, because of divisional opponents that may be "comfortable" with how the Steelers were running/calling the plays. Further, it seems like Haley's MO is doing what works, and working to team strengths. I haven't seen where he has said any differently. I think all this stuff about him putting his stamp on the offense and teaching Ben a lesson or reeling Ben in, has mostly been media generated. I also think this why we're seeing a lot about different language on offense but also hearing that Haley wants to utilize no-huddle or our passing attack.

- Just my thoughts.
    Welcome to the Planet Deesee

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler
    Let me make my position more clear. I don't think Ben needs a "lesson" but I do think that Arians held him back. He clearly didn't want Arians forced out of town and I 100% believe that with the addition of the two lineman and Haley, Ben is going to enter another level of his game. It's also precisely why I have zero issue with Haley "blowing it up" so to speak. It's going to challenge the players, the offense will be his and the whole team can "buy in" to the new offense. I love the way Ben plays but once again thought Arians was holding him back. I guess we'll find out soon enough because Ben is going to have a vastly improved offensive line and a offensive coordinator that has proven he's going to pound what works.

Legend
    Arians did what he was told in 2010 and 2011.

In 2009 Ben threw 26 TD passes in 15 games, Hines and Holmes had 1000 each, Mendy had 1200 and Heath Miller had a career year.

But because no one wanted to admit that LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme sucks as bad as a Ho in the Hill District, Art wanted more commitment to the running game.

And the offense has been a complete erratic mess [especially in the red zone] since.

Only in freaking Pittsburgh can a defense (with a TON of high priced talent) blow 2009 4th quarter leads at an alarming rate, then get torched in two straight playoff games (one by the worst passer in the ^%&* league) , and the OFFENSE is the unit that gets blamed for it.
    Last edited by Crash; 05-11-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Todd Haley is a proven commodity as an offensive coordinator, and it's telling that he took virtually the entire Bruce Arians playbook and threw it in the trash.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post

In 2009 Ben threw 26 TD passes in 15 games, Hines and Holmes had 1000 each, Mendy had 1200 and Heath Miller had a career year.

But because no one wanted to admit that LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme sucks as bad as a Ho in the Hill District, Art wanted more commitment to the running game.

And the offense has been a complete erratic mess [especially in the red zone] since.

Only in freaking Pittsburgh can a defense (with a TON of high priced talent) blow 2009 4th quarter leads at an alarming rate, then get torched in two straight playoff games (one by the worst passer in the ^%&* league) , and the OFFENSE is the unit that gets blamed for it.
    Please. I'm not going to argue about the 4th quarter collapses, but the offense has had problems since Arians took over in 2007. You can trot out all of the shiny individual stats you want, but the play-calling and adjustments...especially when it came to countering the opposing pass rush have been evident for a long time. Don't obsfucate the problems with Arians by pointing to the issues on defense.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend

It's in the DNA. Defense can do no wrong. There will be more blame on Haley this season for changing the playbook and making all these players learn something new than LeBeau throwing out the same old template defense and failing to make in game adjustments.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I find it quite ironic that you will blame those losses soley on the D. So its ok that the offense fails to score points in the 4th QTR but gawd forbid if the defense slips up at the same time... Why did our offense get so anemic near the end of games? Because Arians is predictable and doesn't have the brain power to adjust at halftime. Good riddance!