Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Expects No Huddle and a Pass First Offense

Ben Expects No Huddle and a Pass First Offense

After meeting with new OC Todd Haley, Ben Roethlisberger is under the impression that the Steelers have no intention of reverting to a run-heavy, smashmouth offense.

Rich Eisen Podcast

Sounds like we might see Air Haley coming to the Burg.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I don't think anyone expected a run-heavy, smashmouth offense. This offense should revolve around Ben and his receivers (Haley has a tendency to play to the strengths of his players, and that is our strength on offense), but I do expect us to be able to run more effectively when we need to. What I'm looking for from Haley is a balanced attack that is not nearly as predictable as it has been over the last several seasons.

Legend
    You mean like running the ball on 58% of first downs and 65% of first downs in the red zone?

That is the biggest problem they have on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    You mean like running the ball on 58% of first downs and 65% of first downs in the red zone?

That is the biggest problem they have on offense.
    Have you ever seen breakdowns for these stats when games are close? In other words, do we run so much on first down because we're a pretty good team that's usually up?

I remember when Ben was younger we had a massively lopsided Run/Pass ratio, but it was much more even in the first quarter.

Not trying to be a dick, I don't know the answer.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't think anyone expected a run-heavy, smashmouth offense. This offense should revolve around Ben and his receivers (Haley has a tendency to play to the strengths of his players, and that is our strength on offense), but I do expect us to be able to run more effectively when we need to. What I'm looking for from Haley is a balanced attack that is not nearly as predictable as it has been over the last several seasons.
    Better OL equals more effective situational running. Redman as #1 back doesn't necessarily support this...IMO.

Ben is our best asset. WR/TE is where we have most talent on the offense. Why would anyone expect we run more????
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

In the red zone, creative play calling is certainly important. But, to move the chains, and score 6 instead of 3, our big uglies need to be bigger and uglier than the opposing teams. I believe that. I believe our new look on the OL will greatly improve our RZ efficiency.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Better OL equals more effective situational running. Redman as #1 back doesn't necessarily support this...IMO.

Ben is our best asset. WR/TE is where we have most talent on the offense. Why would anyone expect we run more????

Redman is going to have an awesome year and I mean really awesome. After the first 4 games Redman will be doing a lot of interviews...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Redman is going to have an awesome year and I mean really awesome. After the first 4 games Redman will be doing a lot of interviews...
    Yea for us if he does, but I won't hold my breath. IMO there is a high probability he is injured by mid-season given his running style.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Yea for us if he does, but I won't hold my breath. IMO there is a high probability he is injured by mid-season given his running style.
    Are you saying that Redman shouldn't run as hard as he does?
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Yeah, if he would only learn to run more tenatively (like Mendy), he would probably never get hurt...