Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Tried to Trade Up for Decastro

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Tried to Trade Up for Decastro

Per Jason LaCanfora, the Steelers were going to trade up to the Jets spot for DeCastro, with the Jets trading back for Coples. Jets backed out after the Seahawks pick.

Very fortunate for the Steelers. That move probably would have cost at least their third round pick, if not an additional pick.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora
    Steelers still got their man, DeCastro, in their original spot. Will be interesting to see how careers of Irvin and Coples pan out.

Jets were gonna take Irvin or Coples in the mid-20s, and Steelers would take DeCastro at 16. Once Seattle took Irvin at 15, Jets pulled out

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora"][/URL]
    Interesting note on Bruce Irvin, the 1st 1st rounder to sign. Jets and Steelers had a draft-deal essentially done for NY to drop back ...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, that is not surprising. It worked out very well for us though. Thanks again, Seattle!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's the original trade partner that I had worked out months ago. I was suggesting we give up our 1st and 2nd in exchange for the Jets 1st and 4th. The numbers worked out almost perfectly according to the trade value chart (1.16 + 4.108 = 1078 pts. while 1.24 + 2.56 = 1080 pts.). However, the Jets traded their 4th away in the Tebow deal, putting the kibosh on that possible deal (and making me scramble to create new mock drafts even though we all knew that DeCastro is who I wanted all along).

I wonder what deal the Steelers and Jets actually had in place? I doubt the team would have been willing to part with its 2nd round pick like I would have. We did make a very similar jump in 2003, moving up to the same #16 slot from even further back than 24 (we were picking 27th that year) and we only had to give up a 3rd and a 6th in the deal. According to the trade value chart, we fleeced the Chiefs in that deal, because 1.16 = 1000 pts. while 1.27 + 3.92 + 6.200 = 824.4 pts.). I'd imagine that the Jets would have wanted more than that.

Perhaps something similar to the Santonio deal in 2006 (1, 3, 4 to move from 32 to 25). In that case, we gave up more according to the trade chart than we received back, although not by a huge amount or anything (1.25 = 720 pts. while 1.32 + 3.96 + 4.129 = 749 pts.).

In any case, it ended up working out absolutely perfectly for us (and it's scary to think how much an awful pick like Irvin to Seattle at #15 had to do with us ending up with this incredible draft haul, and the only trading required was giving up our 6th rounder to move up in the 4th for Ta'Amu).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/37317-Steelers-tried-to-trade-up[/url]

You heard it here first.

Legend

User Info Menu

Making that trade in the first probably means that we don't have the ammo to move up and grab Ta'amu in the fourth - without using a future pick which Colbert has never done.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

KC in his NFL Draft PC had said there were several players they would try to trade up for. David Decastro was one of them. Donta Hightower must be another one. Not sure who else were on Steelers radar. I would love to see Steelers draft board.

I am glad the way draft shaped up. Bruce Irvin at #15 was the key. Steelers got their player without any trade.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Yeah, that is not surprising. It worked out very well for us though. Thanks again, Seattle!
    Great 2033 Mock Draft SteelBlood..!!

I agree Bruce Irvin at #15 was the key.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've read and heard all kinds of things out of local media. One of them was that they wanted to trade up for Poe. Another was that they were gonna be happy to just sit there and take Hightower. In the end, they got a deal with a top 15 talent at 24. So, whatever the truth is/was only Colbert/ Tomlin really know....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

We know that Decastro was above Hightower on the board, but I wonder what they would have done had Reiff also fallen to #24.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    We know that Decastro was above Hightower on the board, but I wonder what they would have done had Reiff also fallen to #24.
    If both DeCastro and Reiff were there, I would have still taken DeCastro.

If the Lions took DeCastro instead of Reiff, and we were choosing between Reiff and Hightower, I would have gone with Reiff.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.