Thread: Steelers Agree To Terms With Seventh-Round Pick OG Kelvin Beachum

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Agree To Terms With Seventh-Round Pick OG Kelvin Beachum

Steelers Agree To Terms With Seventh-Round Pick Kelvin Beachum
    Posted 23 hours ago

The Steelers have agreed to terms with the last of their four seventh-round draft picks from the 2012 NFL Draft, guard Kelvin Beachum. Financial terms of the four-year deal were not disclosed.

Beachum (6-3, 303), who was the 248th overall pick, played collegiately at Southern Methodist University. He started all 52 games he played at left tackle during his collegiate career. As a senior, Beachum was selected to the Lombardi Award and Outland Award watch lists and named to the Conference USA All-Academic Team. Beachum earned first-team Conference USA honors after his junior season. In 2011, Beachum blocked for an offense that scored 336 points and racked up 5,052 yards of total offense.

Beachum also had an impact off the field, serving as a student representative to the SMU Board of Trustees and as President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. He was also on SMU President R. Gerald Turner's Commission on Substance Abuse, the Student Affairs Leadership Council and the SMU Athletic Council.
    [URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Agree-To-Terms-With-Seventh-Round-Pick-Kelvin-Beachum/791b3243-89fb-4bdd-af39-a24d7604d27e[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't know much about this guy, but from the lack of posting, I would guess that I shouldn't get too excited?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    I don't know much about this guy, but from the lack of posting, I would guess that I shouldn't get too excited?
    It's tough to get too excited about the last of four 7th round picks (especially when your first two picks were used on the OL as well), but this guy has been on the team's radar for a while (he was one of the 30 pre-draft visitors). From what I heard, he had an excellent junior campaign in 2010 (and at that point may have been higher-touted than teammate Josh LaRibeus, who was drafted by the Redskins in the 3rd round). We do have one of his college teammates Manny Sanders on the team to vouch for the kid, and judging by this last paragraph, it seems like the kid could be a tremendous potential leader:

Beachum also had an impact off the field, serving as a student representative to the SMU Board of Trustees and as President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. He was also on SMU President R. Gerald Turner's Commission on Substance Abuse, the Student Affairs Leadership Council and the SMU Athletic Council.

Here is what National Football Post writes about him, which sounds pretty good to me:

A thick, wide bodied player with a lot of girth and muscle through his lower half. Possesses a thick set of legs/base and possesses natural anchor strength on contact. Plays left tackle for SMU, but is a bit short for tackle by NFL standards and looks a bit short in the arms as well. However, exhibits the ability to bend and sit into his stance. Also, as a senior has done a much better job sitting into his base on his kick-slide and maintaining his balance better into contact and when asked to mirror. Showcases good foot quickness and lateral agility with solid range toward the corner as well. Gets a bit overextended into his punch, but settles his feet quickly, exhibits good hand placement and can stick through contact and anchor once he gets his hands on defenders.

Plays from a two point stance consistently and has a tendency to get a bit upright off the football into contact in the run game. However, displays a "plus" initial burst off the snap. Gets into defenders quickly, displays an explosive power/burst into contact and despite playing a bit high can create a bit of a push. Will need to learn to play from a three-point stance and with better leverage inside in the NFL, but the burst/power are definitely there. Exhibits natural coordination through contact and can get around blocks and seal. However, the most impressive element of his game is for his size is his ability to get out in front of runs into the second level and reach on contact. Showcases impressive range and athleticism for his size as well. Displays natural coordination into contact and settles his feet well and seals at the second level.

Impression: Possesses the size/power to win as an in-line guy and the athleticism to pull in power situations and get out into the second level as well. He's a coordinated pass protector on the edge and has the skill set to make the move to guard at the next level.
    [URL]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=43461[/URL]

He was on Wes Bunting's list of "Five prospects we like a lot more than most talent evaluators" last fall.

Scout’s corner: Top 5 NFP favorites

Wes Bunting
    November 29, 2011

Looking at five prospects who we think could surprise in the NFL…

OT Jeff Allen: Illinois (6-5 315)
    He's not an overpowering run blocker, but is smooth and coordinated in pass protection, can keep his base down and warrants a higher grade because of it.

FS Corey Mosley: Virginia (5-10 200)
    Isn't a big time size/speed guy. However, plays with a passion for the game, has an explosive element as a striker and could be one of the better safety prospects to come out of this class when it's all said and done.

CB Jamell Fleming: Oklahoma (5-11 191)
    He's a balanced, coordinated kid who keeps his feet under him when changing directions and can turn and run. Doesn't give up much separation, knows how to make plays on the football and if he can improve as a tackler looks like a guy who warrants a starting job in the NFL down the line.

OG Kelvin Beachum: Southern Methodist (6-3 306)
    Possesses the size/power to win as an in-line guy and the athleticism to pull in power situations and get out into the second level as well. He's a coordinated pass protector on the edge and has the skill set to mature into a potential starter with some development.

SS Brandon Taylor: Louisiana State (6-0 195)
    He can tackle in the box and in space, despite being a bit inconsistent at times. Displays some natural coverage ability and looks capable of maturing into a potential starting caliber safety in the NFL in my mind.
    [URL]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-corner-Top-5-NFP-favorites.html[/URL]

Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 05-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wes Bunting and the National Football post agree so much that they wrote the exact same thing!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

What a great asset he would make to the team. 4 years of LT in college. Of course he will move inside, but he has position flexability, which can only help his situation.

Could be Colon's replacement.

Legursky covers both G spots and the C spot.
    Essex is supposed to be a 5 position player. Clearly if he was at C we would already be in big trouble.
    Beachum would be a 4 position player in a couple years covering bothe G spots and both T spots in a serious pinch.

The O-line is youthful and talented, with enough veteran experience in guys like Legursky, Colon, Essex, Foster and Pouncey to complete this overhaul and establish themselves as one of the elite units in the NFL. In a year or two.

I feel real good about the upgrades that were done at this position.
    And that includes Beachum.

I would like to see him challenge Foster for the LG position next year.
    Assuming DDC and Adams handle the right side of the line, in a few years there could be 3 O-linemen from this draft starting.

Gilbert/Adams - Beachum - Pouncey - DDC - Adams/Gilbert

The oldest would be 26 years old. Just looks good.

But I do like Beachum. Even if the above scenario doesnt play out(and it probably won't 'cause I know nothing about football compared to the people that do and people get hurt and life happens, so...), I still think he will at least be a valueable backup. His strong character and lack of a serious injury history through all of those starts should carry him through.

*Side note
    Personally, I think each draft pick has a good chance of sticking. Either on the PS or 53 man. And I am including players like B. Lindsey/A. Robinson(LB), Maze(WR), Golden(S), and Butler(P) - all UCFA - as well.
    I mean, we lost a player at nearly every defensive position in the off-season:

DE-Smith
    NT-Hoke
    ILB-Farrior
    OLB- NA
    CB- Big Play Willie Gay
    S- NA

Not to mention the offense. while it didnt get pillaged like the defense, there are openings as well:
    A few will be filled by 2-3 of the draft picks for the O-line.
    Ward creates an opening for a WR with another on the PS.
    While I don't know how Paulson get's a spot, I have liked what I have read. Right now, I will take him over D. Johnson. Beyond that it's Miller, Saunders and Pope. Which, to me, looks quite solid.(at least on paper) Might be the Pract. squad for Paulson.
    At RB I would like to see Redman, Dwyer and Rainey back there rotatin'. Or Clay in for Dwyer. But I really hope Rainey can be the real deal. Looks like a real sick weapon.

But, yeah - Beachum.

SSSOOOOOOOOOOOO0000000000000000000oooooooooooooooo oooo many hours until the Caps game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Wes Bunting and the National Football post agree so much that they wrote the exact same thing!
    Wes Bunting writes for the National Football Post. The scouting report provided does not credit any one person in particular, but it was likely Bunting who wrote it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wes Bunting writes for the National Football Post. The scouting report provided does not credit any one person in particular, but it was likely Bunting who wrote it.
    Yeah, I get it. I was just making a little joke since it looked like two different opinions in your post. Sometimes my sense of humor sucks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Could be Colon's replacement.
    If he replaces anybody, I think it's Trai Essex. The value that Essex brings is as a utility lineman that can play any of the 5 spots. If Beachum can do that, he has a shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Sometimes my sense of humor sucks.
    And sometimes it doesn't (like in your sig).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, we've made some good use of UDFA's, why not this kid? He seems like a solid character guy and the type you could root for.