Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Adams doesn't fail the drug test...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Adams doesn't fail the drug test...

it's pretty certain that he's a first-round draft pick. Do you think the team still takes DeCastro?

In any case, the drug test changed the complexion of our draft. I think we still take DeCastro in a heartbeat... but I also think Adams gets taken where guys like him have tended to get taken (in that 20-30 range). Taking him out of the equation, we may take Lavonte David for example. That would mean we don't take Sean Spence in the 3rd... maybe we take someone like T.Y. Hilton. etc.

All because Adams was such an unmitigated duh mass.

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's no question the drug test helped the Steelers, you can't pass up that pick... especially given the effort Adams gave to make things right. Adams is a first round talent, so the Steelers were able to get two first round offensive lineman. A little pot isn't going to scare me away from a player.

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro>>>>>>>Adams. Yes, the Steelers still take DeCastro.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAddicted View Post
    It's no question the drug test helped the Steelers, you can't pass up that pick... especially given the effort Adams gave to make things right. Adams is a first round talent, so the Steelers were able to get two first round offensive lineman. A little pot isn't going to scare me away from a player.
    The issue for many isn't the pot itself, it's the fact that he failed the test knowing that he was going to get tested. That said, he certainly seemed genuinine in his remorse and efforts to turn things around.

To answer the initial question, I would think and hope that the Steelers still had DeCastro rated higher. He was one of the 8-10 guys that Colbert had identified as a sure fire first round pick. I don't think you can say the same for Adams.

Adams has first round talent but did not always play to that talent. I'm rooting for him, and hope that everything that led up to him being drafted will keep him focused and motivated.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The issue for me is not the pot. It is that Adams was inconsistent and was not a great pass protector despite his skill set. This is the issue. If Kugler fixes this, all will be fine, and he will be a serviceable-to-very-good tackle.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok first off yes I am nuts. But I am wondering if this was a planned set up by Adams and his agent? Adams really wanted to play for the steelers it sounds. Why not puff-puff a little before the combine to drop your stock. Then run to the steelers on bended knee. I just hope he works his azz off and becomes a great player.

I don't buy into conspiracy theories but this just smells to perfect to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

I see substance abuse issues a bit differently than most. Why his drug test was positive before a combine is obviously the question. If Adams was truly smoking pot before the combine, he is either very very dumb or he is an addict. There is no good scenario here. In the first case, usually after the fear or the novelty of the new situation wears off, they go back to doing dumb things and causing team drama...ie Holmes. If he is an addict, he needs treatment...and he isn't getting it.

Now, there is a third scenario and I have my fingers crossed. Hair testing. I have heard of these popping positive up to 3 years after initially smoking pot. I have no idea what kind of drug test he failed, and in my mind that is important info in this situation.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Ok first off yes I am nuts. But I am wondering if this was a planned set up by Adams and his agent? Adams really wanted to play for the steelers it sounds. Why not puff-puff a little before the combine to drop your stock. Then run to the steelers on bended knee. I just hope he works his azz off and becomes a great player.

So he decided to give up millions by smoking pot hoping the Steelers who don't usually draft pot smokers...would draft him?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I see substance abuse issues a bit differently than most. Why his drug test was positive before a combine is obviously the question. If Adams was truly smoking pot before the combine, he is either very very dumb or he is an addict. There is no good scenario here. In the first case, usually after the fear or the novelty of the new situation wears off, they go back to doing dumb things and causing team drama...ie Holmes. If he is an addict, he needs treatment...and he isn't getting it.

Now, there is a third scenario and I have my fingers crossed. Hair testing. I have heard of these popping positive up to 3 years after initially smoking pot. I have no idea what kind of drug test he failed, and in my mind that is important info in this situation.
    No doubt it was a dumb decision. But, I feel that it is indicative of a personality that needs focus and motivation. If Kugler can get through to him, I think he'll be (in the least) moderately successful.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post

Ok, you're nuts.
    but I'm cynical
    I think the only reason Adams came to Pittsburgh was because he KNEW that his only shot of going in the first round was with the Steelers. He knew that he'd fall, he's from Farrell, which isn't too far from the city so it really wasn't a big deal to drive over there anyway. Yea he's a steeler fan, but the reality is, he KNEW the Steelers needed depth at OL and his only shot of going early-ish in the draft was through Pittsburgh.