Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Seau Found Dead at 43 (apparent suicide)

Legend

User Info Menu

Junior Seau Found Dead at 43 (apparent suicide)

After being charged with domestic violence against his 25 year old girlfriend 2 years ago, Seau drove his SUV off a 30 foot cliff in Carlsbad, CA, but survived. He claims he fell asleep at the wheel, but now it looks like that may have not been the case, since this is being reported as a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the chest. R.I.P., Jr.

California mayor: Former NFL star Junior Seau dead at 43
    By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
    May 02, 2012

Former NFL star Junior Seau, 43, died at his Oceanside, Calif., home Wednesday.

"He was a local hero -- he certainly gave back to the community and to the youth through his Junior Seau Foundation," Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood told The North County Times. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Citing a source, the Times reports Seau's body was found by a maid.

Responding to a 911 call, authorities descended on Seau's residence around 12:35 p.m. PT. Hundreds of bystanders have gathered at the site.

"What made him tick was the emotional side of it. He played with a controlled fury, was an awesome thing to watch, him playing linebacker," Seau's former San Diego Chargers teammate, Billy Ray Smith, told KGTV-10 in San Diego. "The Seau Foundation ... all the great things he did for kids.

"It's crushing. Quite frankly, it's just crushing. ... I'm dying to know (what happened). It took one of my best teammates away."

In a tragic coincidence, Seau becomes the eighth member of the 1994 Chargers, who lost Super Bowl XXIX to the 49ers, to die at a young age. The others: Chris Mims, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Lewis Bush, Curtis Whitley, Shawn Lee and Doug Miller.

San Diego native and current Dolphins tailback Reggie Bush tweeted:

"R.I.P Jr. Seau one of the greatest players to play the game! Damn this one hurts San Diego! One of the greatest to to come from the city."

Seau played linebacker for 20 years in the NFL, earning 12 Pro Bowl nods while being named first-team all-pro six times. A USC product, he was drafted fifth overall by the Chargers in 1990 and played for the Bolts during his prime years from 1990 to 2002.

He joined the Miami Dolphins in 2003 for a three-year hitch.

After a four-day retirement following the 2005 season -- Seau deemed it a graduation into the next phase of his life at the time -- he reversed course to spend four final seasons (2006-09) with the New England Patriots. He played sparingly the final two years, joining the club at midseason in both cases, but continued on at the behest of coach Bill Belichick, who valued Seau's legendary work ethic and leadership skills.
    [URL]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/05/mayor-former-nfl-star-junior-seau-dead-at-43/1[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Junior Seau Dead

Apparent suicide....sad.

Mods-you can move this to the appropriate forum if you like.

From ESPN:
    OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Former NFL star Junior Seau was found dead at his home Wednesday, authorities said.

Police Lt. Karen Laser confirmed the death and U-T San Diego reported that a 911 call came from the home at 10 a.m.

A police spokesman said Wednesday afternoon that Seau was discovered by a woman who identified herself as Seau's girlfriend and was suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest. The spokesman said police found a handgun near Seau and the incident is being investigated as a suicide.

Seau was a standout linebacker with the University of Southern California before going to the San Diego Chargers, whom he led to the Super Bowl following the 1994 season.

"Everyone at the Chargers is in complete shock and disbelief right now. We ask everyone to stop what they're doing and send their prayers to Junior and his family," the team said in a statement.

Seau's death sent ripples throughout the sports world.

"Wow shocked right now, I tapped Juniors picture every single day before heading out to practice at USC. R.I.P. to a legend n awesome person," Texans linebacker and fellow USC alumnus Brian Cushing wrote on his Facebook page.

Seau remained with the Chargers until 2003 and went on to play with the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots before retiring after the 2009 season.

In October 2010, Seau survived a 100-foot plunge down a seaside cliff in his SUV, hours after he was arrested for investigation of domestic violence at the Oceanside home he shared with his girlfriend. The woman had told authorities that Seau assaulted her during an argument.

There was no evidence of drugs or alcohol involved in the crash and Seau told authorities he fell asleep while driving. He sustained minor injuries.

Seau spent parts of 20 seasons in the NFL, including 1990-2002 with his hometown Chargers. He led them to their only Super Bowl appearance, was voted to a team-record 12 straight Pro Bowls and was an All-Pro six times.

He amassed 545 tackles, 56.5 sacks and 18 interceptions in his career.

"Twenty years, to be part of this kind of fraternity, to be able to go out and play the game that you love, and all the lessons and the friends and acquaintances which you meet along the way, you can't be in a better arena," Seau said last August after the Chargers announced he would be inducted into the team's Hall of Fame.

Seau was with the Chargers from 1990, when he was the fifth pick overall in the draft out of Southern California, until being traded to the Miami Dolphins after the 2002 season. He came out of retirement a few times to play with the Patriots in search of a Super Bowl ring and was with the team when they lost to the New York Giants in the Super Bowl following the 2007 season, which ended New England's quest for a perfect season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comment on this story

Legend

User Info Menu

I lived in San Diego during his tenure there. He OWNED that city. When his brother was put up for murder one charges, Jr. got the media to ignore it. He gave, donated, showed up, etc.

This will rock that town.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

He could possibly be up for Hall of Fame honors in a few years. It is always sad when a young guy (like Derrick Thomas or Reggie White) gets inducted posthumously.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

His restaurant is closed for at least the day, and tons of flowers are in front of it.

Just found out that Miles MacPhearson (sp?) is doing the funeral. He was a CB for the chargers in the 80s & 90s. He is now a pastor of The Rock Church in San Diego.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Really gut wrenching to watch Junior's mother addressing the media. For whatever hardship Junior suffered personally, that is now transferred to those he leaves behind.

Really feel for that family. Knowing many Samoans, Tongans & Maori's over here- that family, and that family's community will really be doing it tough.

We have a campaign running over here in Australia to help deal with depression called "Are You OK?". Essentially, it's a very basic concept, the idea is when you talk to people, you ask the question- Are you OK? If people are struggling, if they have a real issue they are having trouble dealing with- the idea is to give them a platform to get it out. Maybe you get them on that 1 day they NEED to say- "No I'm not". Maybe it helps- dunno. But maybe it should be incorporated into everyone's lives.

So I ask you- are you ok?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm okay, Chadman. Thanks for asking. Are you okay?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm ok Ruthless- thanks mate.

My wife suffers from post-natal depression, has to take uppers twice a day. I'm constantly asking how she's going. Depression is tough, and it hits anybody.

Nobody should feel afraid or embarrassed asking for help. If only Junior Seau had thought that way, this thread would not have been required. Hearing Marcellus Wiley interviewed- Seau would have recieved all the help he could have asked for.

Such a terrible waste.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Will just add- linking Seau's suicide to head trauma suffered through the NFL is not only unfair- but it masks so many other reasons that must be investigated.

First & foremost- due to hearing that a number of NHL players have gone down similar paths, can only assume this becomes a sport-wide issue- is there a program, or some kind of guidance to help players deal with retirement?

We are talking about "gods" here- guys that are adored, followed, desired, idolised as they play through their careers, and then, when they are too old to play- they have that taken away from them- the lifestyle, the luxuries that come with being 'popular'. Could Seau's suicide, and a lot of other sport-related suicide's, stem from something as simple as not knowing how to not be a 'star' anymore?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I'm ok Ruthless- thanks mate.

My wife suffers from post-natal depression, has to take uppers twice a day. I'm constantly asking how she's going. Depression is tough, and it hits anybody.

Nobody should feel afraid or embarrassed asking for help. If only Junior Seau had thought that way, this thread would not have been required. Hearing Marcellus Wiley interviewed- Seau would have recieved all the help he could have asked for.

Such a terrible waste.
    Make sure you are there for your wife, man...I've had friends that have gone through that after giving birth...it's tough.

From the looks of things, Seau was divorced and out dating 25 year olds, so he may not have felt that he had anyone that he could truly confide in (it seems like he always tried to put up a protective front in front of his NFL teammates so they would not see any weakness in him whatsoever...instead of getting the usual postgame treatments with trainers along with the rest of his team, he would get a private doctor to treat him at home so none of his teammates would be able to see any chinks in his armor...that unwillingness to admit any hardship...physical or psychological...was likely his ultimate downfall).