Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lets be realistic, 'this draft class sucks''

Totally disagree. But realistically, this thread really sucks.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Totally disagree. But realistically, this thread really sucks.

Isn't "squidkid" the Patriots fan who poses as a Steelers fan on here just to be juvenile and annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    would be our battle cry if they were drafted by the bungals or ratbirds. we would all agree that decastro was a good pick but would make fun of the team that drafted a dope-smoking criminal, an ilb that feloniously stalked a girlfriend and is too small to play inside, a 2 down fat guy, a tiny rb and a handful of 7th rounders that will get cut.

let's try to keep things in perspective people.
    I don't think the big OT that you're referring to (Mike Adams) was ever charged with any criminal offense. The biggest mistake he made was to smoke pot before the combine, which I have to say was incredibly stupid. I'm hoping some of DeCastro's fire and dedication rubs off on him, but Adams is a bit of a risk. I think the team felt that after hitting a home run in round 1, they could afford a bit of a risk in round 2.

It was the "tiny rb" who stalked the girlfriend, not the "small ilb." I'm also concerned about Spence being too small to play inside, but if he can bulk up, and gain some strength without losing speed, who knows? I think Farrior and Foote weren't exactly huge coming out of college. And "Tiny" is not necessarily bad for a RB who is going to be doing what Rainey will be asked to do. If nothing else, both Spence and Rainey ought to be tremendous ST additions.

And, yes, at least some of our 7th rounders may get cut, but what would you have done with those picks?

With all the veteran cuts this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 6 players from this draft class make the final roster, with most of the rest making the practice squad, which would be outstanding. All in all, I think this will probably shake out to be the best draft of the last five years, if not of the last decade (we can't really know that until about three years from now). But IMO, just getting DeCastro is enough to refute your statement that "this draft class sucks."

BTW, I have to give kudos to the Bumgals...I think they also had an outstanding draft. They might just become perennial contenders for the division title, if they keep drafting like they have these past two times.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 05-01-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Hall of Famer
    Perspective. If this was the draft of the Ravens or Pats or a team that handles themselves like the Steelers...We would all say the same thing we are thinking right now. That would be a Good draft...And what "steals" on Adams, Rainey, and Ta'Amu if them perform to expectations. A team like the Bengals...I think you would say the same but you would have that "It figures" in relation to the character players. No matter who you are...This draft for the Steelers...You have to agree that the stars were aligned. For the graded players that fit the Steelers need to fall to them in rounds 1-5 left us all amazed.

G...Best in the draft. Faneca like career. There was a zero % chance the Steelers could land him without trading up.

LT...2nd rated LT that fell to Rd 2 because of character. What makes it appealing is Adams has been a Steelers fan and sought them out specificly. Made promises, met criteria, and sacrifices to get back on the board. A franchise caliber LT in the 2nd who has become self motivated to succeed and change his life around. Risk-Reward uncharted in this scenario in my opinion.

ILB...College production can't be questioned. If Spence is 6'1" 240+ he is a late 1st-mid 2nd. His ceiling & floor at ILB is far apart. Ceiling...Maybe Zach Thomas? Floor...Career back-up ST star (K Fox). For a 3rd? Even the floor is worth it.

NT...2nd best pure NT in this draft. Some would argue the 1st. 4th rounder for someone who was ranked preseason as a 1st. 3-4 NT in DL defense is a special animal that is hard to find. I had 3 of them in this draft that I thought would be starters. Poe, Ta'Amu, and Chapman.

Change of pace RB...The Steelers made it clear that Redman & Dwyer can handle the work load in Mendy's absence by selecting Rainey. So the "thunder" is in place and the "lightning" comes via Rainey. Haley gets his more explosive version of "McCluster". Falls because of character and size but was productive in SEC. Steelers have more information and security through Pouncey being a brother to him growing up and Pouncey's parents, whom the Steelers have talked with alot with over the last three drafts, to pull the trigger.

Toney Clemons...To put a cherry on top they get a "big WR" who is very athletic in the 7th. 86-1162-11TDS over the past two season in Col. Very good chance of making the roster because he is something the Steelers don't have.

David Paulson didn't run that good at the combine but that isn't what shows up on tape. He showed up better at his proday and that is what you see when he plays. Paulson might have the best set of hands of any TE in this draft. Fleener may be the only one close. I actually think he makes the final cut while Saunders serves his suspension. Depending how much production he has...He may be difficult to hide on the PS when Saunders returns. He could use the time on the PS to gain some strength. Watch for him to make a name in the PS because he will be the 2nd-6th QB's best friend in PS games.

Terrance Frederick is a faster version of Townsend. I remember him against OSU and he did a very good job against Blackmon. He was all over the field. Very good instincts. Loves to mix it up and not afraid to support the run. Blitzes from the edge and reads the sweep and supports. Very good change or direction. I actually think he can make this roster as the 5th corner.

Kelvin Beachum is a very interesting prospect. He may give the Steelers some gameday flexibility down the road if he can show he can handle the LS duties and take that job from Warren. It may not be this year...But I think he will stick around on the PS. He could develop into a quality gameday back-up OL. If he takes on LS duties down the road...HE could give the Steelers a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Will Ferrell.jpg

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Perspective. If this was the draft of the Ravens or Pats or a team that handles themselves like the Steelers...We would all say the same thing we are thinking right now. That would be a Good draft...And what "steals" on Adams, Rainey, and Ta'Amu if them perform to expectations. A team like the Bengals...I think you would say the same but you would have that "It figures" in relation to the character players. No matter who you are...This draft for the Steelers...You have to agree that the stars were aligned. For the graded players that fit the Steelers need to fall to them in rounds 1-5 left us all amazed.

G...Best in the draft. Faneca like career. There was a zero % chance the Steelers could land him without trading up.

LT...2nd rated LT that fell to Rd 2 because of character. What makes it appealing is Adams has been a Steelers fan and sought them out specificly. Made promises, met criteria, and sacrifices to get back on the board. A franchise caliber LT in the 2nd who has become self motivated to succeed and change his life around. Risk-Reward uncharted in this scenario in my opinion.

ILB...College production can't be questioned. If Spence is 6'1" 240+ he is a late 1st-mid 2nd. His ceiling & floor at ILB is far apart. Ceiling...Maybe Zach Thomas? Floor...Career back-up ST star (K Fox). For a 3rd? Even the floor is worth it.

NT...2nd best pure NT in this draft. Some would argue the 1st. 4th rounder for someone who was ranked preseason as a 1st. 3-4 NT in DL defense is a special animal that is hard to find. I had 3 of them in this draft that I thought would be starters. Poe, Ta'Amu, and Chapman.

Change of pace RB...The Steelers made it clear that Redman & Dwyer can handle the work load in Mendy's absence by selecting Rainey. So the "thunder" is in place and the "lightning" comes via Rainey. Haley gets his more explosive version of "McCluster". Falls because of character and size but was productive in SEC. Steelers have more information and security through Pouncey being a brother to him growing up and Pouncey's parents, whom the Steelers have talked with alot with over the last three drafts, to pull the trigger.

Toney Clemons...To put a cherry on top they get a "big WR" who is very athletic in the 7th. 86-1162-11TDS over the past two season in Col. Very good chance of making the roster because he is something the Steelers don't have.

David Paulson didn't run that good at the combine but that isn't what shows up on tape. He showed up better at his proday and that is what you see when he plays. Paulson might have the best set of hands of any TE in this draft. Fleener may be the only one close. I actually think he makes the final cut while Saunders serves his suspension. Depending how much production he has...He may be difficult to hide on the PS when Saunders returns. He could use the time on the PS to gain some strength. Watch for him to make a name in the PS because he will be the 2nd-6th QB's best friend in PS games.

Terrance Frederick is a faster version of Townsend. I remember him against OSU and he did a very good job against Blackmon. He was all over the field. Very good instincts. Loves to mix it up and not afraid to support the run. Blitzes from the edge and reads the sweep and supports. Very good change or direction. I actually think he can make this roster as the 5th corner.

Kelvin Beachum is a very interesting prospect. He may give the Steelers some gameday flexibility down the road if he can show he can handle the LS duties and take that job from Warren. It may not be this year...But I think he will stick around on the PS. He could develop into a quality gameday back-up OL. If he takes on LS duties down the road...HE could give the Steelers a roster spot.
    Excellent post JPN!! You are speaking the thurth! Nice.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Why let the facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant?

good point!

I like the draft, give it an "A"

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Knowing what we know about Mike Adams puts him back in the good graces and I'd say the same if he were a Bengal. Spence looks great on tape AND the nose is EXACTLY what our 3-4 defense needs. The Bengals had one hell of a draft themselves and the fans I know say the same about our draft. I have plenty of perspective and it's that the front office did one hell of a job. Period.
    i agree. the bungals indeed had an excellent draft (about time after picking at the top for so many years). With some improvement Dalton will be a hell of a QB to contend with twice a year.