Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foundational Draft?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Foundational Draft?

Just curious for everyone's opinion. Is this going to be a foundational draft for the Steelers for years to come?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, if you believe that the foundations are built along the LOS than this probably would be.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes, because I think the top 5 picks have an opportunity to make the team and 4 of the 5 could be full-timestarters. All of them may not start this year but possibly by their second year. Rainey is the only guy I don't see as a full-time starter. However, I see him as guy that could get significant playing time this year because he's so dynamic - PR/KR, kick/punt coverage, WR packages, RB
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I am intrigued by Toney Clemons...he has prototypical size (6' 2") and speed (4.4 or thereabout...some reports say a sub 4.4)...

He does not have the college production to match...but, he also had the misfortune of playing for four different college head coaches and four different offensive coordinators (Lloyd Carr and Rich Rod at Michigan, Dan Hawkins and Jon Embree at Colorado)...

He did come on strong at the end of last year, recording 25 catches for 476 yards and 5 TDs in Colorado's last five games...that gives me hope that, as a 7th round pick, he can spend time learning the offense and how to be a pro this year and possibly contribute next year...he has size and speed...let's hope things can click for him in the pro game like they did his last five games at Colorado...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Just curious for everyone's opinion. Is this going to be a foundational draft for the Steelers for years to come?
    See my Prediction Thread.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With the departure of some of our existing foundation and the holes these picks address, they will at least get a good opportunity to beome part of the Black-n-Gold bedrock. There's been a lot of optimism and an equal amount of caution expressed by our community over this draft. I think we'd all agree both are warranted, but I'm feeling a lot of the former and very little of the latter.

I don't care too much that I've been burned by the likes of Limas Sweed, Kraig Urbik, Willie Reid, or even Daniel Sepulveda...this is a time of re-birth and optimism. Unless of course you are a Browns fan. Or really - a fan of half the teams in the league, which seemingly use the draft as annual insurance policy that they will forever suck.

But we are Steeler fans. While we understand there will be players who inevitably don't live up to our expectations or their college tape, we also are comforted by the knowledge that our organization reigns supreme on draft weekend. We know there is a pretty decent chance that we just took at least 2 or 3 guys that will make this great team even better.

When I look at the talent we just drafted and the opportunities they have in front of them, I can't help but to imagine greatness for them as players. It's my right as a Steeler fan to feel this way each year, but this year in particular I am feeling it more than usual. Maybe it's hype, but nobody needs to go pissing in my cornflakes either.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    With the departure of some of our existing foundation and the holes these picks address, they will at least get a good opportunity to beome part of the Black-n-Gold bedrock. There's been a lot of optimism and an equal amount of caution expressed by our community over this draft. I think we'd all agree both are warranted, but I'm feeling a lot of the former and very little of the latter.

I don't care too much that I've been burned by the likes of Limas Sweed, Kraig Urbik, Willie Reid, or even Daniel Sepulveda...this is a time of re-birth and optimism. Unless of course you are a Browns fan. Or really - a fan of half the teams in the league, which seemingly use the draft as annual insurance policy that they will forever suck.

But we are Steeler fans. While we understand there will be players who inevitably don't live up to our expectations or their college tape, we also are comforted by the knowledge that our organization reigns supreme on draft weekend. We know there is a pretty decent chance that we just took at least 2 or 3 guys that will make this great team even better.

When I look at the talent we just drafted and the opportunities they have in front of them, I can't help but to imagine greatness for them as players. It's my right as a Steeler fan to feel this way each year, but this year in particular I am feeling it more than usual. Maybe it's hype, but nobody needs to go pissing in my cornflakes either.
    I couldn't have said it any better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yes, because I think the top 5 picks have an opportunity to make the team and 4 of the 5 could be full-timestarters. All of them may not start this year but possibly by their second year. Rainey is the only guy I don't see as a full-time starter. However, I see him as guy that could get significant playing time this year because he's so dynamic - PR/KR, kick/punt coverage, WR packages, RB
    Ranking NFL teams' 2012 drafts 1-32

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY

First impression: Loved it

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: What a job by GM Kevin Colbert and his staff, who seemed to get impact players in the first five rounds. After years of relying on a patchwork offensive line, G David DeCastro (Round 1) and T Mike Adams (Round 2) join C Maurkice Pouncey and LT Marcus Gilbert on what may be an elite group this season. LB Sean Spence (Round 3) and 348-pound NT Alameda Ta'amu (Round 4) look like starters no later than 2013. And RB Chris Rainey (Round 5) is a home-run threat the team didn't have in its backfield or return game.

[URL]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-04-29/ratings-2012-NFL-draft/54629536/1[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers laid the foundation in the obvious ways over the past three years, Hood, Heyward, Woodley, DeCastro, Adams, Timmons, but there are also some other intangible benefits. They have spread the talent selected over a period of years, thus not having to replace them all at once when their careers come to a close and not having to pay them all simultaneously if they all work out.

Another foundation being laid is that, hopefully, it will extend careers of players that are big contributors, mostly Ben, but Mendy, Antonio (relieving him of KR/PR duties) and probably a few others that are slipping my mind.

The past three drafts, if players continue to develop should set the Steelers up for a long time.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

If the three lineman that the Steelers drafted pan out, then yes, this draft will absolutely set the foundation going forward. With both lines will be stocked with premium picks, the Steelers will be in a position to add skill position players on both sides of the ball in the next few drafts without really worrying about the lines. Again, assuming that the lineman pan out, the Steelers would have a lot of flexibility and little in the way of need for a few years.