Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If Adams doesn't fail the drug test...

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Our culture has taken the kindness of many employers in helping their ailing or addicted employees, and made it into an obligation for the employers to help them. Not once did I enter into the addiction vs. ailment argument. It just isn't the employer's responsibility.
    Its not an obligation to help with treatment. But, you don't punish an employee for needing to get treatment. If an alcoholic goes to an employer and says that he needs help. The employer should allow him/her to get help without it endangering their job. To merely punish addiction is archaic and barbaric. It's dripping with judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Its not an obligation to help with treatment. But, you don't punish an employee for needing to get treatment. If an alcoholic goes to an employer and says that he needs help. The employer should allow him/her to get help without it endangering their job. To merely punish addiction is archaic and barbaric. It's dripping with judgment.
    Shawn, get over this. Not once did I say "Punish" etc. You have to hear what is being said, NOT what your agenda hears.

I'm out.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    So if a player gets hooked on legal narcotics prescribed by a doctor, what then? And while there are many who are ignorant on the science of addiction which leads to bigotry and discrimination...there are indeed laws set up to protect these individuals. The way a person with a genetic predisposition towards addiction reacts to a mind altering substance is much like an allergy. When Chadman drinks a foster, he can choose whether he picks another one up. If I pick one up, I lose all ability to choose...the allergy kicks in...the obsession rules and I lose all ability to control when I stop. As long as I don't pick up, I have a choice. About 10 percent of the population reacts to chemicals in this fashion. Once the addiction switch is flipped, treatment just like with any other disease is needed. I have seen too many good people get caught up in addiction to attribute it to a moral failing.
    Everyone knows Foster's isn't sold in Australia. It's just marketed that way to cater to stupid Americans.

It's against company rules to take a controlled substance prescribed by a doctor? Not in most companies. Or is it that you see all addicts as having a needle in their arm, or alcoholics as living under a bridge? What about myself, who never missed a day of work, but drank too much after work? How does that violate company rules? Why shouldnt an alcoholic be able to seek treatment, and be able to have a job to come home to? Why should they have less rights than the diabetic who ate themselves into insulin resistance?
    Im in a rock band. I see addicts of various stripes all the time. It's not germain to the issue at hand though in dealing with Adams. He's not dealing with legal substances and his response is his responsibility, not the Steelers or the NFL. If they provide avenues to help him to overcome these issues, great. However, let's not confuse kindness with obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Shawn, get over this. Not once did I say "Punish" etc. You have to hear what is being said, NOT what your agenda hears.

I'm out.
    You spoke about "our needs being someone elses responsibility"...and your distain for that mentality. While I tend to be conservative on most issues, I also tend to see the field fairly. And what I was trying to show you is that mentality is not a fair mentality if we discriminate. If that got you upset I apologize, that wasn't my intention. My only intention is to educate in a field I am passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Im in a rock band. I see addicts of various stripes all the time. It's not germain to the issue at hand though in dealing with Adams. He's not dealing with legal substances and his response is his responsibility, not the Steelers or the NFL. If they provide avenues to help him to overcome these issues, great. However, let's not confuse kindness with obligation.
    We can certainly agree to disagree. But, I believe punishing addiction without providing avenues for treatment is discriminatory. You disagree. That is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Everyone knows Foster's isn't sold in Australia. It's just marketed that way to cater to stupid Americans.
    Same thing with Dois Equis. Not a Mexican Beer.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Same thing with Dois Equis. Not a Mexican Beer.
    The next thing you'll tell me is this guy isn't actually the most interesting man in the world!!!