Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Adams doesn't fail the drug test...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I see substance abuse issues a bit differently than most. Why his drug test was positive before a combine is obviously the question. If Adams was truly smoking pot before the combine, he is either very very dumb or he is an addict. There is no good scenario here. In the first case, usually after the fear or the novelty of the new situation wears off, they go back to doing dumb things and causing team drama...ie Holmes. If he is an addict, he needs treatment...and he isn't getting it.
    Reportedly, he is undergoing counseling as part of his "deal" with the Steelers to convince them to draft him. Exactly what kind of counseling, I don't know.

Now, there is a third scenario and I have my fingers crossed. Hair testing. I have heard of these popping positive up to 3 years after initially smoking pot. I have no idea what kind of drug test he failed, and in my mind that is important info in this situation.
    I find it hard to believe he would fall off the draft boards of so many teams if they thought his pot use was from 2 or 3 years ago...I would think the kind of test he failed may have covered a few months, but not years. Anybody here know for sure?

I see substance abuse issues a bit differently than most. Why his drug test was positive before a combine is obviously the question. If Adams was truly smoking pot before the combine, he is either very very dumb or he is an addict. There is no good scenario here. In the first case, usually after the fear or the novelty of the new situation wears off, they go back to doing dumb things and causing team drama...ie Holmes. If he is an addict, he needs treatment...and he isn't getting it.

Now, there is a third scenario and I have my fingers crossed. Hair testing. I have heard of these popping positive up to 3 years after initially smoking pot. I have no idea what kind of drug test he failed, and in my mind that is important info in this situation.
    If I am not mistaken I believe they do hair testing. And as you know that could have results from 10 years past.

But regardless, whatever he did, he showed great character by doing what he did after the fact. How many players is age have done that? Call the Steelers, admit his mistake, drive to meet them, and adhere to everything they asked him to do? I really admire that. He was going to get picked before the end of round 2 by someone. He really didnt have to do what he did. The kid was willing to do what ever it took to become a Pittsburgh Steeler. I think we may be seeing someone who is now driven. And Shawn you know if this kid is driven he has the potential to be great.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

10 years? I do addiction medicine for a living and never heard of any reports more than 3 years. And most of the time 6-9 months is the max. I mean hair grows, and it's cut. If it's a urine drug screen, a week unless there is heavy use which can extend that to as much as 45 days. So, if someone comes in for an assessment and their UDS isn't dirty but their hair is, odds are that they have smoked in the last year sometime.

So, lets assume his UDS was clean and he popped positive on the hair. Odds are that he has smoked in the last year but not right before the draft. For me, that is reassuring. Not everyone who smokes pot is an addict. And you are not dealing with someone who was smoking before the combine. That would be reassuring to me, and counseling would be sufficient in most instances.

Now if it's a positive in a urine drug screen, that smells like addiction to me unless proven otherwise. Someone trying to squeeze in another J before one of the biggest days of his life is likely an addict. In that case, counseling is usually not enough. He is going to need at minimum a outpatient treatment, and if he tests positive again...inpatient. The NFL does a terrible job at getting help for some of these young men who suffer from addiction issues.

The NFL does a terrible job at getting help for some of these young men who suffer from addiction issues.
    Why is it the NFL's responsibility? That's crazy.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Yea he's a steeler fan, but the reality is, he KNEW the Steelers needed depth at OL and his only shot of going early-ish in the draft was through Pittsburgh.
    None of the other 31 teams had a need at tackle? Tackles are always in high demand and short supply. Even the teams who already employ the best tackles in the business (Joe Thomas and Jake Long), felt they needed to use a high pick on another tackle in the early 2nd round with Mike Adams still on the board (Mitchell Schwartz to Cleveland at 2.37, Jonathan Martin to Miami at 2.42, Mike Adams to Pittsburgh at 2.56).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    None of the other 31 teams had a need at tackle? Tackles are always in high demand and short supply. Even the teams who already employ the best tackles in the business (Joe Thomas and Jake Long), felt they needed to use a high pick on another tackle in the early 2nd round with Mike Adams still on the board (Mitchell Schwartz to Cleveland at 2.37, Jonathan Martin to Miami at 2.42, Mike Adams to Pittsburgh at 2.56).
    We used 25 different line combos. Our Starting LT suffered a torn ACL. Our RT hasn't played in 2 years. He failed a drug test. That caused him to fall. Everyone Knows how bad our o-line is. If he doesn't fail that drug test he doesn't fall to the second round. His LONE shot of making it in the first was the steelers because of all our issues. A lot of teams took him off their board because he failed a drug test and then LIED about it. He was in panic mode at that point.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    We used 25 different line combos. Our Starting LT suffered a torn ACL. Our RT hasn't played in 2 years. He failed a drug test. That caused him to fall. Everyone Knows how bad our o-line is. If he doesn't fail that drug test he doesn't fall to the second round. His LONE shot of making it in the first was the steelers because of all our issues. A lot of teams took him off their board because he failed a drug test and then LIED about it. He was in panic mode at that point.
    If Riley Reiff hadn't fallen into Detroit's lap one spot ahead of us, they could have possibly taken Adams as the heir apparent to Jeff Backus there (their F.O. won't eliminate players for marijuana use...their first two picks in the previous draft were Nick Fairley and Mikel Leshoure).

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Why is it the NFL's responsibility? That's crazy.
    Most employers will work to help employees get help with addiction issues. If someone has eaten themselves into type II diabetes an employer will help that person due to medical consequences of that disease. How is drug or alcohol addiction any different? There should be consequences to drug use, but those consequences should involve treatment.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If Riley Reiff hadn't fallen into Detroit's lap one spot ahead of us, they could have possibly taken Adams as the heir apparent to Jeff Backus there (their F.O. won't eliminate players for marijuana use...their first two picks in the previous draft were Nick Fairley and Mikel Leshoure).
    Absolutely, Adams had fallen. hard. We were one of the few teams that couldn't pass on Adams because of the need for a quality player at tackle. I warned y'all. I"m cynical.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Most employers will work to help employees get help with addiction issues. If someone has eaten themselves into type II diabetes an employer will help that person due to medical consequences of that disease. How is drug or alcohol addiction any different? There should be consequences to drug use, but those consequences should involve treatment.
    While I agree that it's a cool thing for employers to help their people with various issues, it isn't their responsibility to do so. Either way, I hope that Adams gets the counseling or treatment that he needs. Addicts will say and do anything to get what they want, so I hope that it hasn't come to that in his life.