Thread: Steelers draft pick thought Ben Roethlisberger was a team secretary

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers draft pick thought Ben Roethlisberger was a team secretary

Steelers draft pick thought Ben Roethlisberger was a team secretary

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steelers-draft-pick-thought-ben-roethlisberger-team-secretary-145225540.html[/url]

By Chris Chase |

(AP)David DeCastro's phone was ringing. On the other end was a two-time Super Bowl champion and the man DeCasto was drafted to protect. The Stanford guard, selected No. 24 by the Pittsburgh Steelers in Thursday's NFL draft, was getting a congratulatory call from Ben Roethlisberger.

DeCastro answered and Roethlisberger welcomed him to the team. The rookie's response? "Did you get those flight plans?"

DeCastro thought Roethlisberger was the team's traveling coordinator booking his flight to Pittsburgh for his introductory press conference. He apparently didn't realize he was receiving a call from someone a little higher up on the franchise's organizational flowchart.

"He was saying, 'Did you get those flight plans? Did you get those flight plans?''' Roethlisberger told a group at the Blair County Convention Center over the weekend. After a few seconds, DeCastro figured it out.

"I can't wait once we get started to get on him about that,'' Roethlisberger joked, thus ensuring that DeCastro won't go a single day of training camp without hearing his six-word question.

DeCastro is expected to play immediately on Pittsburgh's beleaguered offensive line. The team was surprised he slipped all the way to No. 24.

"We didn't think David would be here, we valued him that high," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said after the first round. "We said earlier there are a few special players in this group. He was one of them. He's a great player with excellent intangibles -- character, tough, leader, smart."

One could say his only flaw is on-phone voice recognition.

Thanks, Larry Brown Sports

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

DAVID DECASTRO MUST HAVE DEALT WITH SOME DUMB SECRETARIES

WRITTEN BY CHRISTMAS APE

Because there was a lengthy span of time after Todd Haley was officially brought on as the new Steelers offensive coordinator before there was a meeting of the meathead minds between Boss Todd and Ben Roethlisberger, people seem to be concerned about when The Ben gets in touch with new members of the Yinzburgh offense. Especially when the team took the occasion of the draft to finally improve upon the sieve-like quality of the Steelers O-line. Not to worry, though. The Ben was on the phone immediately after the draft calling the team’s first-round pick, Stanford guard David DeCastro, in what ended up being a HARF-worthy case of mistaken identity.

Roethlisberger said he phoned DeCastro to welcome him to the team, but DeCastro thought he was talking to a Steelers official who was handling his travel arrangements.

“He was saying, ‘Did you get those flight plans? Did you get those flight plans?”’ Roethlisberger, with his wife, Ashley, at his side, told an audience of 1,100 Saturday night at the 25th anniversary of the Blair County Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony at the Blair County Convention Center. Roethlisberger said after a few seconds, DeCastro realized who he was talking to.

“I can’t wait once we get started to get on him about that,” Roethlisberger joked.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/david_decastro_must_have_dealt_with_some_dumb_secr etaries/10686599?linksrc=home_rg_head_10686599[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

That's hilarious. For a couple of months, every time DeCastro makes a mistake it will be, "Did you get the flight plans?"

But something tells me that there won't be many occasions when he'll have to hear it...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm wondering who will come up with the best flight plan joke... I'm pretty sure the whole team and a few coaches will be in on these...

Legend

User Info Menu

That dude is going to end up in Ancorage AK somehow.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Pretty funny stuff!

It's kind of a weird thing to say in that circumstance, though. I'd think he would be all "Thank you/Please/May I" to who he thought was the Pgh. Steeler's secretary, at least for the first 30 seconds after getting drafted.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!