Thread: Steelers steal Chris Rainey

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers steal Chris Rainey

Steelers steal Chris Rainey

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 28, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
    Getty ImagesFlorida’s [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7507/chris-rainey"]Chris Rainey[/URL] is one of the best athletes in the 2012 NFL draft, and the only player who won three different events at the Scouting Combine. As the 159th overall pick to the Steelers late in the fifth round, he could prove to be a steal.
    Rainey was the overall leader at the Combine in the 60-yard shuttle (11.06 seconds), 20-yard shuttle (3.93 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.50 seconds), and although there are questions about his size (5-foot-8 and 180 pounds) and off-field issues ([URL="http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20100914/ARTICLES/100919719"]he was arrested in 2010 for stalking an ex-girlfriend[/URL]), there’s no question that Rainey is an elite athlete who can make plays with the ball in his hands, as a runner, receiver or returner.
    At the Combine Rainey compared himself to [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3221/darren-sproles"]Darren Sproles[/URL] as an athlete and said he’d like to have that kind of impact in the league. He also vowed to be a hard worker on special teams, not just as a return man but running down the field covering kicks, and trying to block kicks.
    The Steelers’ offense got better early in the draft with offensive linemen [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7412/david-decastro"]David DeCastro[/URL] and Mike Adams, and now both the offense and the special teams have gotten better on Day Three with Rainey.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hope Haley proves more imaginative then Arians at mixing this kid in. I see him being like a Kevin Faulk & our offense being much more of a Pats style offense. Last season in the two games we ran this style (Titans & Pats games) we were unstoppable. Ben needs to wake up & embrace this type of offense as it will extend his career another 4 years!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Hope Haley proves more imaginative then Arians at mixing this kid in. I see him being like a Kevin Faulk & our offense being much more of a Pats style offense. Last season in the two games we ran this style (Titans & Pats games) we were unstoppable. Ben needs to wake up & embrace this type of offense as it will extend his career another 4 years!
    If Ben doesnt embrace it, I think the story will have a very unhappy ending. The game is turning into pitch-n-catch, with the best teams having the fastest players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Then keep the wides on the field and David Johnson off.

The Steelers need to embrace the player that Ben is, and stop worrying about 1975.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah guys I totally agree. I mean ultimately what is the goal, win Superbowls as a fine oiled machine, or cater to one player that likes backyard football & gets to look like a hero when he pulls a deep pass out of his butt.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 04-29-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben and backyard football isn't even accurate.

Watch the games.

If anything, the Arians offense and the desire to play 1975 football HAMPERS Ben and the offense.

Play to this teams strength, and they'd never lose.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Ben and backyard football isn't even accurate.

Watch the games.

If anything, the Arians offense and the desire to play 1975 football HAMPERS Ben and the offense.

Play to this teams strength, and they'd never lose.
    Haven't missed a game since 2001 when I moved to Pittsburgh again after a stint in the south. I watch very intently. When I say backyard football I sm referring to a large sum of the big plays being after the called play has ended & the play is extended. Maybe this is Arians doing, maybe not. One thing I do know is Arians is no longer here to pin our offensive issues on.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree, however I must admit that I also thought the same thing when we got Jonathan Dwyer in the 6th round.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha