Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Did Decastro Fall to 24?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why Did Decastro Fall to 24?

Because he's a G and the position isn't so valuable in the grand scheme?

Because other teams drafted for need? reached?

Just curious why you guys/gals think this happened? To me he looks as close to a sure thing as any player that's ever been drafted. I'm still in shock he was there at 24.

Maybe in addition to position, teams felt like there's a deep pool of Gs and they could do just fine with a number of them, so there was no urgency to pull the trigger on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the run on pass rushers made everyone who wanted one reach a little. Some of the guys taken like Couples, Irvin, etc. have bust potential. There just seemd to be a run on defense.

If you notice the OTs fell too.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Because he's a G and the position isn't so valuable in the grand scheme?
    Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

But you know what is valuable in the grand scheme?

Players oozing with Pro Bowl potential no matter what position they play.

We once again take advantage of the stupidity of other teams.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

It is both, Flippy...

Bizarre overdrafting (Bruce Irvin), understandable over drafting (Shea McClellin) and just plain bad ideas (Brandon Weeden) combined with the undervalued nature of the offensive guard combined to make Steeler fans rejoice all over the world...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

But you know what is valuable in the grand scheme?

Players oozing with Pro Bowl potential no matter what position they play.

We once again take advantage of the stupidity of other teams.
    Yup. There is the reason the Steelers are positioned where they are and teams like the Browns remain the Browns.

In 2-3 years, the Steelers will be looking at one of the best guards in the league at best, or a solid starter at worst, while the Browns will be looking for yet another QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

OG is not considered so valuable. Also this year i think there are quite a few good OG in Rd2-Rd 4. So its a case of Supply and Demand.

Also NFL is a copy cat league. They saw what Giants did and everyone wants premium pass-rushers early in the draft.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    OG is not considered so valuable. Also this year i think there are quite a few good OG in Rd2-Rd 4. So its a case of Supply and Demand.

Also NFL is a copy cat league. They saw what Giants did and everyone wants premium pass-rushers early in the draft.
    It really is supply and demand. Keep in mind that you not only have all the top Guard coming out of college every year but you also have a significant number of college OTs who have to move inside for various reasons to make it in the NFL. Unlike many other positions where the supply is less than the demand, Guard is the one position that actually gets a supply boost because of OTs moving inside.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, DeCastro will be a great addition to the team.

I do think it's worth mentioning that the last time we were this fired up about early picks in the draft was when we got another two guys that fell early and were "can't miss" prospects. Mendenhall and Sweed looked great on draft day.

I think DeCastro was the right call by the FO. But every drafted player is a lottery ticket. I also think that the bust potential for OL is generally lower than other positions so I am hopeful. Here's hoping that the kid lives up to the expectations (although that seems hard when he's instantly compared to Faneca and Hutchinson).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Are you serious? You dont know why he fell to #24? here how about this...

Ryan Tannehill
    Mark Barron
    Dontari Poe
    Stephon Gilmore
    Bruce Irvin
    Michael Brockers
    Quinton Coples
    Shea McClellin
    Chandler Jones
    Brandon Weeden

All 10 of these players teams reached for. Not one of them is a higher rated player than DeCastro.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It is both, Flippy...

Bizarre overdrafting (Bruce Irvin), understandable over drafting (Shea McClellin) and just plain bad ideas (Brandon Weeden) combined with the undervalued nature of the offensive guard combined to make Steeler fans rejoice all over the world...
    While Bruce Irvin could be considered a reach, I think he will be a special player at the next level. I don't know if I have ever seen a linebacker that able to get after a QB.
    Trolls are people too.