Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ILB Sean Spence Miami 3rd round pick

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Love the Spence pick. It's a progressive pick. This is the new prototype ILB - more of a safety/LB hybrid with athleticism that can be more effective in this new pass happy NFL. Farrior not being able to keep up with anyone in coverage was getting tiring.

I have to admit, I was concerned we'd end up with Hightower who I see as a 2 down LB of a past era.

All in all a good first 2 days.
    I cant wait to see what guys we pick up tomorrow!

Hall of Famer
    Nobody has injected the age-old (at least since Tomlin has been here) 3-4/4-3 debate? Spence isn't a 3-4 ILB, not with a 11 rep bench press. He's also not a Safety. He is fast and talented, and he would seem to fit very well as a 4-3 OLB.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Nobody has injected the age-old (at least since Tomlin has been here) 3-4/4-3 debate? Spence isn't a 3-4 ILB, not with a 11 rep bench press. He's also not a Safety. He is fast and talented, and he would seem to fit very well as a 4-3 OLB.
    Was there a reason his bench was so low? I tend to prefer on field performance over the combine numbers. And on the field, he doesn't look soft. Although with an 11 number, I'd be concerned about him getting off blocks and getting stuck in traffic.

But when you watch his game tapes, he's a beast on the field. So I'd lean toward he'll get stronger and be just fine.

All guys have some weakness by the 3rd round. Spence's weakness is his height and his bench press. On the field, he looks like one of the best college defenders in the game. This could be a really solid pick considering the league is a changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I doubt the pick implies a switch to 4-3, in the least. As far as him only being a 4-3 lineback, that is pre-draft talk, speculative. He clearly needs to get stronger, but I love the highlight reel. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Was there a reason his bench was so low? I tend to prefer on field performance over the combine numbers. And on the field, he doesn't look soft. Although with an 11 number, I'd be concerned about him getting off blocks and getting stuck in traffic.

But when you watch his game tapes, he's a beast on the field. So I'd lean toward he'll get stronger and be just fine.

All guys have some weakness by the 3rd round. Spence's weakness is his height and his bench press. On the field, he looks like one of the best college defenders in the game. This could be a really solid pick considering the league is a changing.
    He was injured. If you take the 3-4 scheme he should in theory be clean most of the time. As far as a mauler type of pulling guard, it seems this kid may be so quick and instinctive that he may be able to get to the RB while the guard whiffs.

I dont know. I thought Bruce Davis was a cant miss prospect so it is in the front office I trust.

I decided to not question this pick. And yes, Dee Dub is right about the 4:71. Note also that he did not improve on it at the pro-day. My original reply is below and like I said give this pick the benefit of the doubt and anyway if anyone has a good memory think back to Chadman's big thread where he covered all the bases. One post had to do with schools the Steelers have picked players from. This aroused my curiousity so I went to profootball-reference and was looking at all the players drafted from various colleges. After a bit I concluded there was no significant leanings and it was really a random thing. Although only a few were from Miami and someone suggested that since the Steelers spent a lot of time down there this year they would take a player from that school. So my only negative then is that I suppose that this pick would make the chances of taking NB less likely.

This was my original post.

Yeah, he's really not very fast. But he is very active. He seems to be all over the field but really not in the right places it looks like. Not sure the Steelers are going to find a place for this one. Not only that but now chances of getting Nigel Bradham seem very slim. A lot of posters like NB and he was ranked just below Spence who was at the tail end of rd 3 and NB is in the top 3rd of the 4th. Big deal. Brooks is also in that top 4th grouping. "Of course they will be long gone before Pit picks again."

"Of course they will be long gone before Pit picks again." I suppose this is really my beef.

In rd 2 at least 20 of the players posters here wanted were gone before 56. In rd3 only maybe a half dozen before 86. Hey okay other teams have scouts too. But, if you look close you will see that many of those players taken before the Steelers picked were ranked lower than either 56 or 86. In other words some teams are having courage and are being bold in acquiring players they think can play. It seems the Steelers are relying on crap luck and frankly getting it but how about showing some guts and go get a player that is valued. In rd2 4teams moved up to get valued players at very little cost. In rd3 5 did the same. I would bet in every case the move was a winner.

Benchwarmer
    Just looked at his game tape, and he looks faster than a 4.71 (40) shows great athleticism, explosive .... looks a great future prospect!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    I In other words some teams are having courage and are being bold in acquiring players they think can play. It seems the Steelers are relying on crap luck and frankly getting it but how about showing some guts and go get a player that is valued. In rd2 4teams moved up to get valued players at very little cost. In rd3 5 did the same. I would bet in every case the move was a winner.
    Other teams are reaching...

If overdrafting is "being bold", I'll stick with being conservative...

Looks like Spence will start as a special teams player and back up Timmons at the Mack, with Sylvester Stevenson backing up Foote at the buck, at least to start:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-5d69eda3e6cc

This isn't my favorite pick, but Butler makes the point that he is about the same size as Farrior.

Hall of Famer
    Love the pick. He's got the quickness we have sorely lacked with Foote and Farrior.

some of you are way too focused on the bench numbers...... like they will never improve.

Trust me, strength is one thing that can be trained into a player, and who better to show the way than James Harrison.