Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2012 ol

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Agreed......to start the season anyways.

By the end of the season put Smith-Adams at RT and Colon on IR.

Funny but im not so sure. From what ive read, Colon suffered freakish injuries two years in a row and was a model of health before that. If he can survive the season, i think the team might try to move to the following by the end of this or beginning of next year

Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

Now that is an NFL OL!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Foster-Colon

Adams needs get stronger. The NFL is not college. He has a ton of potential but as we see by his combine bench press it is going to take him a while to get up to NFL strength.
    Yes, I agree with this O-line. I'd like to see Adams in place of Colon and that may happen midway thru the year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hard to believe that Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Colon, and Adams wouldn't be the best five coming out of camp. Foster would be the top backup.

Best line-up to keep continuity to minimize utilization of 1 rookie would be: (Coaches choice IMO)
    LT-Gilbert
    LG-Foster
    C-Pouncey
    RG-DeCastro
    RT-Colon

Gilbert very familiar & comfortable with left side of OL. Foster has played there many times for Kemo. Colon's home is RT and although everyone wants to put him at G...I just don't know if he has the feet to play there. Might just be less than Foster pulling and trapping. DeCastro will not waste anytime claiming his spot for the next 10+ years. Pouncey...Nothing needs to be said.

Best 5 at Best possible positions:
    LT-Adams
    LG-Gilbert
    C-Pouncey
    RG-DeCastro
    RT-Colon

Colon, DeCastro, & Pouncey...same as above. Gilbert played some G in Florida and was going to battle at G before Colon's injury. Like I said above, Gilbert very comfortable on left side of OL. Gilbert has mobility and showed good skill on the move and on the 2nd level at Florida. May be the best pulling and trapping G behind DeCastro & Legursky. Gilbert's pass pro gives him the nod over Legursky & Foster. Adams best spot IMO early would be LT. There he could use his skills against the smaller quicker defenders. Adams at RT would be a mistake early in his career. He needs to get stronger in the upper body to hold his own on every play strong side in the run game. The problem with this line-up is this has to be put on the field eary to develop chemistry. Three new position starters with 2 rookies will take alot of time to develop. This may be something we don't see early but it wouldn't surprise me to see it at some point in the season if Adams develops and picks up his reads. Hopefully we don't see it because of injury or performance. It is always better to start a guy because he pushed his way up the depth chart..Not because he was pushed into the line-up. If the OL stays healthy...I believe this will be the case for Adams at some point in the season. He will push his way into the Top 5. We will see early if this is the Steelers thoughts. If Gilbert runs 1st team LT with Foster at 1st team LG....We should see Gilbert slide inside to LG 2nd team with Adams working 2nd team LT next to him. If Pouncey stays on the field, for some reps...That will be the sign that the line-up above is the goal.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the best five are: Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams. Not sure they start two rookies and I have very little faith in Colon's ability to stay healthy. He seems to have the bug that hit Aaron Smith but years earlier.

I really think that Beachum may be the surprise of this rookie class, especially if he can save a gameday slot by being able to longsnap.

The important thing is that we seem to have the makings of a very good OL going forward.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

It's Mike Smith-Adams.....maybe..
    Adam Smith wrote the book "Wealth Of The Nations." Very influencial book for our founding fathers. Gives feet to free-market capitalsim.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the best five are: Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams. Not sure they start two rookies and I have very little faith in Colon's ability to stay healthy. He seems to have the bug that hit Aaron Smith but years earlier.

I really think that Beachum may be the surprise of this rookie class, especially if he can save a gameday slot by being able to longsnap.

The important thing is that we seem to have the makings of a very good OL going forward.
    In some combination, those five will likely be the best from a talent perspective. However, given that Adams still needs to improve his technique, I'll be shocked if he starts this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    In some combination, those five will likely be the best from a talent perspective. However, given that Adams still needs to improve his technique, I'll be shocked if he starts this season.
    $$$
    If he can stay off the weed, and work hard to improve, this season will be a success for him, even if he doesn't start.