Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DeCastro Starts Where?

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro Starts Where?

So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to
    BEAST!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Get Essex out of there first of all. Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky are better than Essex.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dangit, that's what I meant, sorry.

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

I think Tomlin will keep it wide open in camp. Do we still have JScott?
    He is an option at RT as well with Colon sliding inside.

JScott - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

Need to find out if Colon can play T anyone. Been years since he hit anyone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post

I don't want Jon Scott anywhere near my starting lineup unless there have been multiple catastrophic injuries. Although he was passable in 2010, he was horrid in 2011.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.
    If Max's rehab goes well, if he doesn't balloon up in weight, if he'll accept another lowball contract, and if no one else signs him first (that's an awful lot of "if's"), then, yeah, I could see that.

Starter

User Info Menu

the-site-which-shall-not-be-named says they are keeping him at RG
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to
    BEAST!
    He has to be the LG...zero question in my mind. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necessarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
    DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull.I could have sworn I heard something about planning to keep him on the right side, but I see no way he doesn't move to LG.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 04-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    He has to be the LG...zero question. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necissarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
    DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull. I see no way he doesn't move to LG.
    The Stanford offense ran primarily left behind LT Jonathan Martin (with DeCastro pulling to the left from his RG spot).

Last year, our offense ran primarily right behind RT Marcus Gilbert (with Kemoeatu pulling to the right from his LG spot).

Well, now Kemo is gone and Gilbert is on the left side. Why would we be stubborn and continue to run (pretty much) only to the right under a new offensive coordinator. Gilbert sealing the edge at LT with DeCastro pulling to the left from RG would be a welcome change (and we'd be running right at the opposing team's best pass rusher...who is usually not also their best run stuffer). Makes sense to me.