Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: DeCastro Starts Where?

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,887

    DeCastro Starts Where?

    So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

    You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to
    BEAST!

  2. #2
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Get Essex out of there first of all. Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky are better than Essex.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,887
    Dangit, that's what I meant, sorry.

    Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,427
    Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

    I think Tomlin will keep it wide open in camp. Do we still have JScott?
    He is an option at RT as well with Colon sliding inside.

    JScott - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

    That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

    Need to find out if Colon can play T anyone. Been years since he hit anyone.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

    I think Tomlin will keep it wide open in camp. Do we still have JScott?
    He is an option at RT as well with Colon sliding inside.

    JScott - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

    That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

    Need to find out if Colon can play T anyone. Been years since he hit anyone.
    That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.

  6. #6
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Yea, I think this pick 'could' spell the end for Essex, though he does have flexibility. He sucks equally well at G and T.

    I think Tomlin will keep it wide open in camp. Do we still have JScott?
    He is an option at RT as well with Colon sliding inside.

    JScott - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Gilbert

    That is also a pretty darn good OL. Scott would need some help, but he'd have some with Pouncey and DeCastro cheating. I think it truly is wide open.

    Need to find out if Colon can play T anyone. Been years since he hit anyone.
    I don't want Jon Scott anywhere near my starting lineup unless there have been multiple catastrophic injuries. Although he was passable in 2010, he was horrid in 2011.

  7. #7
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    That's very true. I don't think he gets a pass at all. What if we bring back Big Max at LT with DeCastro (LG), and then moved Colon/Foster the RG with Gilbert at RT? Not bad either.
    If Max's rehab goes well, if he doesn't balloon up in weight, if he'll accept another lowball contract, and if no one else signs him first (that's an awful lot of "if's"), then, yeah, I could see that.

  8. #8
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    761
    the-site-which-shall-not-be-named says they are keeping him at RG

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    So, DeCastro played right guard while at Stanford and it's his home position. So, where do you all think he projects with us? Our biggest need is LG with the release of Kemo. Given his talent and apparent polish, does he transition well right into the LG spot? Just thinking about it, and am curious what yinz think about it. I think he'll be fine at LG. So, does the starting lineup look like this? Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Essex - Colon

    You have a second rounder at LT, and two first rounders at LG and C. An instant improvement. If we somehow made the trade brought up previously by Ruthless and landed Glenn, our OL would go from laughing stock to
    BEAST!
    He has to be the LG...zero question in my mind. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necessarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
    DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull.I could have sworn I heard something about planning to keep him on the right side, but I see no way he doesn't move to LG.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 04-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  10. #10
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    He has to be the LG...zero question. It's not the vacancy created by Kemo necissarily, it's the demands of the position and the skill set that DeCastro brings. The LG is the primary pulling guard when you consider that he's lined-up opposite the strong side most often. Most running plays go right, so it's the LG that has to pull. The LG is also the guy who lines up next to the LT, who generally draws the defense's bet pass rusher. He's got to be able to engage his man and be able to get off the block...especially if the LT gets beat on an inside move.
    DeCastro has a lot of tools in his toolbox, but two of his greatest strengths are his footwork and ability to pull. I see no way he doesn't move to LG.
    The Stanford offense ran primarily left behind LT Jonathan Martin (with DeCastro pulling to the left from his RG spot).

    Last year, our offense ran primarily right behind RT Marcus Gilbert (with Kemoeatu pulling to the right from his LG spot).

    Well, now Kemo is gone and Gilbert is on the left side. Why would we be stubborn and continue to run (pretty much) only to the right under a new offensive coordinator. Gilbert sealing the edge at LT with DeCastro pulling to the left from RG would be a welcome change (and we'd be running right at the opposing team's best pass rusher...who is usually not also their best run stuffer). Makes sense to me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •