Thread: Wednesday camp report

Starter

User Info Menu

Wednesday camp report

Made the trip out to Latrobe on Wednesday for practice. Started an hour earlier today to avoid some afternoon T-storms.

I've been there a number of times over the years, but this is the first time since the Chuck Noll stadium seats were built. It's a beautiful setting and I can't recommend it highly enough to those who haven't been. Training camp at St. Vincent's is a must-see event for Steeler fans.

Great crowd out there, especially for a Wednesday! Was super hot and humid all practice. Players had to be hating it but Tomlin was in rare form. Moving btwn the different groups of players, motivating them and even talking a little trash. "C'mon Big Mike! No linebackers in the backfield today! Choke their a$$es out!" -Tomlin to Mike Adams.

Lots of offense vs defense drills today. Not fully live tackling, but hitting without wrapping up. Tough to gauge RB's based on that. Dwyer was with the first team.

Antonio Brown was the most impressive "vet" out there today. Caught everything thrown his way, including a deep out and a long TD from #7.

I was super impressed with #11 rookie WR Markus Wheaton. Did NOT look like a rookie at all. Super crisp routes, great hands, really impressive.

No one, however, caught my eye more than #95, Jarvis Jones. He was EVERYWHERE today. He tipped/knocked down at least 3 passes in the offense vs. defense drills. One where he correctly read a screen pass and drifted back enough to jump up and tip the ball away. Once dropping into coverage and coming back on the ball to bat it down, and once covering a TE step for step.

He also had at least one sack in the drills (but didn't hit the QB, obviously).

If there is an IT, Jones has got it. Seems to have really, really good LB instincts. For a rookie LB to be reading the offense like he is at this stage is super impressive. Worilds might be the starter at this stage, but it's not gonna be long before #95 gets his chance.

Always love going out to Latrobe, and today was no exception.

if anyone has any questions about players or coaches today, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to reply if I can recall specifics.
    Last edited by steelsnis; 08-07-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great stuff - thanks for the report!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post

No one, however, caught my eye more than #95, Jarvis Jones. He was EVERYWHERE today. He tipped/knocked down at least 3 passes in the offense vs. defense drills. One where he correctly read a screen pass and drifted back enough to jump up and tip the ball away. Once dropping into coverage and coming back on the ball to bat it down, and once covering a TE step for step.

He also had at least one sack in the drills (but didn't hit the QB, obviously).

If there is an IT, Jones has got it. Seems to have really, really good LB instincts. For a rookie LB to be reading the offense like he is at this stage is super impressive.
    Wow! Great to hear! Maybe he'll get some playing time by next season, and a starting nod in about 3 years...

Legend

User Info Menu

Inside the Ropes: Rookie LB Jones has impressive series

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin talks to his team during practice Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013, at St. Vincent.

By Mark Kaboly
    Published: Wednesday, August 7, 2013

• First-round pick Jarvis Jones has taken snaps mostly with the third team at right outside linebacker. After the show the rookie put on against the third-team offense at the end of practice Wednesday, it might be time for the Steelers to reward Jones with a promotion. Within a span of five plays, Jones plowed over would-be blocker David Gilreath; recognized a screen pass while rushing the quarterback, peeled off into the flat and knocked the ball away from Baron Batch; knocked the ball away from tight end Peter Tuitopou coming across the middle; and knocked down another pass in the middle of the field while playing zone.

• Mike Tomlin pulled back on the live hitting period recently, and that continued Wednesday for the first team. The Steelers didn't go full-out hitting during 11-on-11 until the first team was finished.

• Receiver Antonio Brown continues to have an under-the-radar camp but still shows he can stretch the field. Ben Roethlisberger connected with Brown, who beat Ike Taylor, on a long touchdown pass down the left sideline.

• The Steelers continue to find out what positions their offensive linemen can play. Second-team guard Justin Cheadle swapped places at center with John Malecki to take a few snaps during team drills.

• The Steelers introduced a live drill with a one-on-one linemen run-blocking session. Typically, the session is devoted to linemen pass blocking. Looking good were Mike Adams and Guy Whimper against Cam Heyward, Al Woods against Marcus Gilbert , and David DeCastro against Brian Arnfelt.

• The Steelers have worked rookie third-round pick Markus Wheaton into the first team at slot but moved him outside Wednesday to the “Z” position, replacing Emmanuel Sanders. Jerricho Cotchery played slot when Wheaton was on the outside.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4494375-74/team-steelers-pass#ixzz2bLKjHNLV[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

A few other random player notes:

Vince Williams: Stood out on one specific series where he blew up a running play and then proceeded to look completely lost on the next play (play-action). Typical rookie confusion.

Shamarko: Didn't stand out one way or another. Only noticed him when I specifically watched for him.

Leveon Bell: BIG. Didn't get a ton of action as it was his first practice back after being held out for a few (banged knees last week).

I saw three John Malecki jerseys. Had to be family members.

Troy seemed quiet and deliberate during the warm up session. Walking through the drills, but then he exploded through some cones that were set up. Back to slow and deliberate. I'm sure Training Camp is tiresome for a vet like #43.

Timmons looked great in individual drills and in the 11 on 11. Always around the ball, and busted through the line at least twice to get to the QB.

John Parker Wilson and Landry Jones: JPW has a super strong arm. Looked great in warm ups. Looked TERRIBLE in game situation. Threw at least 1 pick and fumbled the ball while running from pressure. Bad. Landry Jones didn't do a ton to stand out yesterday either way.

Ta'amu was back in practice and was getting worked pretty hard by Mitchell in the head to head drills vs. O-line. Looks to be in good shape however.

Justin Brown is a big dude. Was catching punts yesterday. If he can contribute on ST's, he can make this roster.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thank you for the report! I always check on here specifically for some camp news. I'll be honest, I have no "feel" for this team, whatsoever. I guess I'll know more after their preseason game on Saturday. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for the camp update good stuff

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.