Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The REAL Final, Chadman Mock Draft..

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Thing is- you just don't get a lot of opportunities to draft an 'elite' LT when you are the Pittsburgh Steelers, drafting at the tail end of the draft every year. Adams fits so many catagories as a LT, and actually upgrades 3 OL positions as Chadman feels he's a superior LT to Gilbert, Gilbert is a superior RT to Colon & Colon is a superior RG to Foster. The flow-on effect is enormous. Many here want an OG, but that simply fixes 1 position. Chadman isn't convinced the OT's are better than 'ok' if they play the positions we currently have them tagged at.

After Adams, who is the next best LT? The drop-off from Adams to the next LT is huge. If the Steelers draft Adams, you can be sure that the team has done it's 'due diligence' in regard to his character. Has he been dumb?

Yes.

But if the coaches think they can develop him, if they feel he can keep his head on straight- the upside there is huge. Potentially- Adams is the #2 LT on the Draft board behind Kalil.
    Chadman's logic makes perfect sense... and if Matt Kalil, or a Matt Kalil type somehow fell in our lap, I'd be right with you. My issue is with the guy, Mike Adams himself. A guy with his "tools" should flat-out dominate, like Kalil did. Like Jon Ogden. Like Tony Boselli. Adams played in a highly competitive environment. Ohio St always had a BIG game coming up, where your skills would be put to the test. Great players respond, and dominate. He didn't do that.

Being a long-time draft nerd, I'm big on comparing. Comparing prospects to former prospects. In Adams' case, I think of Winston Justice from SC a few years back. Even farther back, I compared him to Trezelle Jenkins from Michigan. Both those guys were "supreme talents" from major programs, who were drafted in the late 1st because others felt the same way Chadman does ("when will we ever get a chance to pick an elite LT"). The problem is/was: These guys are fool's gold. I have much less of a problem drafting a guy like Jamain Stephens from Nowhere, because then you could somehow justify his college production. In a case like Adams, it's hard (to justify).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Slapstick....a Buckeye fan, huh?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    If they want Adams, they need to trade back a few spots.. Maybe pick up an early third (meant second) rounder and a thrid. I would understand taking Adams in the first few picks in the 2nd... then taking a guard with their next second pick.. and then taking Chapman with their first of their third round picks. In my scenario
    trade 1 for a 2 and 3. take adams in the 2 and a guard with their other 2. then chapman in the 3rd. Idk if a team like the Rams would be interested in something like that (they have two second round picks. Maybe they move up to take a guy they really have their eye on (hightower or poe or someone). but no way do I take adams in the 1st. Hell I don't even know if the value for a trade like that is there.
    If he is their guy ( and I'll vomit) then I agree trade back but if we stay in Round 1 you aren't likely to get more than an extra Round 4 pick for the points to add up. I'm also all over trading up in Round 2 to get Zeitler or Silatalo if they are still there. Be a lot cheaper than trying to go up in Round 1.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree that there is a dropoff after Adams. The dropoff comes before Adams. I think he is a 2nd tier talent who puts in 5th tier effort and has a 10th tier brain. The top tier guys are Kalil, DeCastro, Reiff, Glenn, and Martin. The second tier guys are Zeitler, Massie, Silatolu, Brooks, and Osemele. I would take all 10 of those guys before I even considered Adams.

Character is not just staying out of the off-the-field troubles. There is football character and their is legal character. Legal character involves not testing positive for marijuana at the combine or not getting suspended for TattooGate. Football character involves being a guy who is a leader on-the-field who puts in a consistent effort every day to get better and has a love for the game. I don't see Adams as a guy who cuts the mustard on either type of character. I'll pass. He's the one guy I would be legitimately angry about if we drafted him. I don't want Janoris Jenkins either because of his extensive legal character issues, but at least that is a guy who puts in full effort out on the field, which is something that I can't say about Adams. Yuck. If we drafted him, I might start complaining about him like Oviedo complains about David Johnson (okay, maybe not that much, but some).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If he is their guy ( and I'll vomit) then I agree trade back but if we stay in Round 1 you aren't likely to get more than an extra Round 4 pick for the points to add up. I'm also all over trading up in Round 2 to get Zeitler or Silatalo if they are still there. Be a lot cheaper than trying to go up in Round 1.
    I'm not good with the whole points thing. We wouldn't get more than a 4 if we traded our first for the rams second 2nd round pick? our 1 for a 2 & 4? Hell no. either way it seems I'd vomit.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not good with the whole points thing. We wouldn't get more than a 4 if we traded our first for the rams second 2nd round pick? our 1 for a 2 & 4? Hell no. either way it seems I'd vomit.
    Here is a link to the value chart:

[URL]http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php[/URL]

Teams use it as a guide, but it is just that -- a guide. If the Steelers move more than a few spots, I can't imagine them doing so for less than a third round pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you are looking to move back from 24 to the Rams second pick in round 2 (#39 from the Redskins), then you could get their 3rd rounder (#65)...although we might have to kick back, say, our 5th rounder as well to make the numbers work.

The most straightforward deal you could do with the Rams is our 1st and 2nd (24 & 56) for the Rams two 2nd rounders (33 & 39). The numbers work out almost perfectly. With two early second round picks, you could get a red zone weapon with size like Alshon Jeffery and then one of the OL prospects we like but don't think would last until 56 (Zeitler or Massie or Silatolu).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

eh, i'm not looking at the chart. There are always teams that have values of players and needs that totally throw the chart off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Got the Rounds wrong- but that's 2 from Chadman's mock selected...and all the others are still in play..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Got the Rounds wrong- but that's 2 from Chadman's mock selected...and all the others are still in play..
    You're doing pretty well. Do you do mock drafts for fun or does someone pay you to do them?