Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In defense of Dontari Poe; He's not just a combine warrior with no production

Legend

User Info Menu

In defense of Dontari Poe; He's not just a combine warrior with no production

Dontari Poe is drawing comparisons to Mike Mamula. Like Mamula, he rocketed up draft boards following an incredible combine workout, including many who considered him to be a potential top 10 pick in the draft (again, like Mamula, who was taken 7th overall). But now his stock seems to be falling back down as analysts realize that his production on the field does not match what his measureables show he should be able to do. Now it looks like Fletcher Cox is the consensus top 10 DT, Michael Brockers is also ahead of Poe on most draft boards, and all of those comparisons to Haloti Ngata have been thrown right out the window.

Well, let's just look at how poor Poe's on-field production is compared to those other bohemoths:

Poe:

2009 27 tackles, 7.0 tackles for loss, and 2.0 sacks
    2010 41 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, and 2.0 sacks
    2011 33 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss, and 1.0 sack

Cox:

2009 29 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and 1.0 sack
    2010 29 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks
    2011 49 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, and 4.0 sacks

Brockers:

2010 25 tackles, 1.0 tackle for loss, and no sacks
    2011 54 tackles, 10.0 tackles for loss, and 2.0 sacks

Ngata:

2004 46 tackles and 4.0 sacks
    2005 61 tackles and 3.0 sacks

I was not able to find Ngata's tackles for loss stat for each individual season, but his Wikipedia entry credits him for 17.5 tackles for loss in 04-05 combined (and 6.5 sacks in those 2 seasons instead of 7.0).

What I'm getting at...is he really THAT far off of these other guys in terms of on-field performance? His on-field numbers aren't eye-popping like his combine numbers are (where he was simultaneously the biggest DT, the fastest DT, and the strongest DT), but he at least seems to be in the general neighborhood of some of these other top-rated DT's.

One of the complaints about Poe was that his motor tended to run hot and cold. Well, frankly, his team sucked, so he was on the field ALL THE TIME. The offense couldn't move the ball with regularity, so that lead to a lot of three-and-outs, meaning the defense is forced to go right back out there without any reasonable degree of rest. And the defense wasn't great at stopping anyone either, so he was often out on the field for long, drawn out drives. And since he was the centerpiece of their defense, the one and only guy that opposing offenses had to game plan to stop, he was constantly facing double teams or more. Not to mention that all of this was happening in the brutal Memphis heat (remember how poor our DL looked when we had to play early season games against the Titans in their building a few years ago).

Sure, he may never be a dynamic pass rusher, but that never stopped Casey Hampton from being an excellent nose tackle for us. He will never get big sack numbers, but he will be able to provide a decent push to collapse the pocket in the quarterback's face. He will be stout at the point of attack and able to occupy blockers. He also has the flexibility of being able to play multiple positions (which you know our coaches love). He's got tremendous upside, and is a hard worker with a great attitude and a blue collar work ethic. If he was just big, fat, and lazy, I wouldn't want him, but that seems to be the exact opposite of what he offers.

Remember, before the incredible combine, he was already being talked about as a late-first, early-second round type of guy. If he somehow slips to #24 because teams are scared off by the Mamula comparisons, I'd happily take him. He won't be ready to start from day one (his game will need a little seasoning), but Snack and McLendon (with a little Ziggy sprinkled in if necessary) should be able to handle the majority of the snaps this year while the rook adjusts to the pro game, and he could be an absolute force for us once Hampton hangs 'em up.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 04-25-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be too upset if he is the pick.

get your OG or OT in the 2nd.

if glenn is gone and its poe or hightower, I take poe.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Poe's ceiling is so much higher than Hightower. I would be for the pick. Poe could be a perennial all-pro. There is risk there though and some have questioned his drive and instincts. Those are sometimes deal breakers for defensive linemen.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget- the rest of the Memphis Defense is projected to provide zero other draft prospects, so chances are, teams were focussed on stopping Poe first & foremost as he was their #1 guy.

Is Poe a risk? Yes, to a degree.

But there is tremendous upside there. And if the Steelers DO select him, well...they are pretty good at finding the right sort of character.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I dunno...a guy with the name "Poe"--doesn't it seem like he ought to be playing for the Ravens?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I dunno...a guy with the name "Poe"--doesn't it seem like he ought to be playing for the Ravens?
    Nevermore!

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Poe is a Underwear Olympics Gold Medalist, but I'm actually warming myself to the idea of Poe here (because I don't want to be disappointed, with him or Hightower). At this point, I think Poe is palatable and could become a solid NT.

But how do you justify spending 3 #1 picks in the past four years on one area of your team (D-line)? Especially considering that our D-line's primary role is to not go and make plays. It's very hard to justify, unless you want to already call one/both a bust already.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Poe is a Underwear Olympics Gold Medalist, but I'm actually warming myself to the idea of Poe here (because I don't want to be disappointed, with him or Hightower). At this point, I think Poe is palatable and could become a solid NT.

But how do you justify spending 3 #1 picks in the past four years on one area of your team (D-line)? Especially considering that our D-line's primary role is to not go and make plays. It's very hard to justify, unless you want to already call one/both a bust already.
    You justify it by having the #1 rushing defense year after year. You justify it by the success of the LB's and their ability to nullify an opposition's Offense.

Our DL has been in decline for the last 2 years due to age- you justify it by putting together a formidable defense that is the envy of nearly the entire NFL, year after year.

It ALL starts at the line of scrimmage- you don't win that battle, you don't win the war.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is some thorough analysis RB. (Epic and Beast). Made me change my thinking a bit.... but I still don't know what the Steelers FO thinks about Poe.

Seems to me they may not want him as they usually focus on "sure things" in the first round (as of late).
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    You justify it by having the #1 rushing defense year after year. You justify it by the success of the LB's and their ability to nullify an opposition's Offense.

Our DL has been in decline for the last 2 years due to age- you justify it by putting together a formidable defense that is the envy of nearly the entire NFL, year after year.

It ALL starts at the line of scrimmage- you don't win that battle, you don't win the war.
    I would agree, but do we need to invest that heavily in one position? Before we took Hood, we also had many top-ranked defenses. During the Cowher era, we picked ONE 1st round DL (Hampton). The rest were mid-round guys (Steed, Aaron Smith), castoffs (Ray Seals, Kimo) and just fill-in guys. We did fine. Spending a #1 on each spot, in a position that doesn't do anything but occupy blockers, is excessive IMO.