Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Screen or Not?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Smoke Screen or Not?

Smoke screen or not? Tony Pauline is reporting that the Steelers are considering G Amini Silatolu at pick 24. He is a fast riser that has a shot to slip into round one according to Pauline.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be shocked. Right position but wrong guy. If the FO likes him that much he must really have something.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wrote in my If Tannehill falls thread I wouldn't be surprised if he was the choice at 24. He compares very favorably to Mike Iupati coming out of Idaho.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've heard a lot of first round buzz on him. Seems like an interesting prospect, but again, more risk than I generally prefer in round 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Based on what I've (only) read, I'd consider this something of a reach and here's why...

I've said for years, that our O-line's biggest failing is the lack of leaders on our line. What I mean by leaders is to have self-starters, guys who are intelligent and quick-minded. This guy sounds like Kemoeatu (not racially) in that he's supposed as a big talented mauler. I don't think we need that specifically right now.

I'd much prefer a workmanlike (though physically able... I don't consider Legs for example, as physically suited to NFL football) player to a physical speciman. We need an infusion of leadership on our line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope it is.

much prefer brooks in the 2nd.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Based on what I've (only) read, I'd consider this something of a reach and here's why...

I've said for years, that our O-line's biggest failing is the lack of leaders on our line. What I mean by leaders is to have self-starters, guys who are intelligent and quick-minded. This guy sounds like Kemoeatu (not racially) in that he's supposed as a big talented mauler. I don't think we need that specifically right now.

I'd much prefer a workmanlike (though physically able... I don't consider Legs for example, as physically suited to NFL football) player to a physical speciman. We need an infusion of leadership on our line.

Kemo is probably a bad comparison. Silatolu is more athletic and dynamic. Both have a nasty attitude, but Silatolu is better built and less heavy. Silatolu probably has a higher ceiling than Zeitler.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Everything that I have seen about this guy makes me want him.....in the second.

Legend

User Info Menu

Peter Konz will be the best value interior OL at around #24.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Kemo is probably a bad comparison. Silatolu is more athletic and dynamic. Both have a nasty attitude, but Silatolu is better built and less heavy. Silatolu probably has a higher ceiling than Zeitler.
    "ceiling", "potential", etc ... not words that I typically favor in 1st round selections. For Example:

He made 50 tackles last year but he has potential for 100. And what happens if he never reaches that potential? Better yet, why didn't he make the 100 tackles if that is his potential?

I would stay away from that type of 1st round prospect.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.