Thread: Trading for Steven Jackson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Trading for Steven Jackson

Could lightning strike twice?
    Could we try to snag a Rams RB to change our fortunes again?

Get Jackson and let Mendy walk.
    He's not as cheap as when we acquired Bettis, but he is a HORSE. And he'll play a while longer, especially with the incentive to win that comes with being in Pittsburgh.
    Doesn't sound like we'll need to dump much, but might need to wait and see if they get Trent.

It would eat some needed cap, but really provide a bellcow for about 5 years or so. And it would be funny to punish the Rams for this again.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be stunned but always like Jackson. However, he has a history of getting beat up and missing games. He would definitely be far superior to Redman and would allow Redman to go back to a back up which is where he should be.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He would make our offense better, no doubt. And, he could be had for a mid round pick. Only problem is cap space. Would he rework his contract? I just don't think we could make the cap room.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've always respected the way that SJax ran the ball, but dude is going into his 9th year, at a position where NFL players age in dog years. Look at the best RB of this generation, LaDainian Tomlinson...his production fell off a cliff from his 9th season on. We got Bettis from the Rams when he was going into his 4th NFL season. That was value. Trading for SJax now would be like buying a gallon of milk whose "use by" date is quickly approaching. We are not buying his past production...and the future does not look bright for any RB with that much wear and tear on his body. Sorry...I'll pass. Of all positions in football, NFL running back is the one position where it is imperative to have young legs.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    He would make our offense better, no doubt. And, he could be had for a mid round pick. Only problem is cap space. Would he rework his contract? I just don't think we could make the cap room.
    No, he wouldn't. In fact, quite the opposite. This came out yesterday:

Rams RB Steven Jackson unhappy with contract, wants new deal
    By Michael Lombardi
    Front Office View
    Published: April 23, 2012 at 08:54 p.m.
    Updated: April 23, 2012 at 10:31 p.m.

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson is unhappy with his contract and would like to renegotiate it, a league source said Monday.

Jackson signed a six-year, $44.8 million deal in 2008 and is scheduled to receive $7 million in base salary in 2012 and 2013.

Given Jackson's dissatisfaction, it might make sense for the Rams to try to select a running back, such as Alabama's Trent Richardson, in this week's NFL draft. The Rams currently have the No. 6 overall pick but could try to trade up for Richardson, whom some link to the Cleveland Browns (No. 4) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 5).

Jackson said in a recent interview with KFXX-AM in Portland (via SportsRadioInterviews.com) that while he knows the Rams will draft the "best available" player, he'd like to see the team add a receiver who can stretch the field.

"Me personally, I think that's the way we should go in the first round ... adding some more tools and talent around (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) so he can definitely show his ability to be an elite quarterback," Jackson said.

Jackson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last week that he isn't concerned about the chance the Rams could draft a running back.

"The Rams are going to do what's best for the Rams," Jackson said. "I understand that. It's a business."

Jackson, 28, rushed for 1,145 yards and five touchdowns last season, his eighth in the NFL. The Rams made Jackson the 24th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, and he went on to make the Pro Bowl three times. He has 9,093 rushing yards and 52 touchdowns in his career.
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8288b090/article/rams-rb-steven-jackson-unhappy-with-contract-wants-new-deal[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Rams want a receiver that will stretch the field? Hmmm....Wallace and our second-rounder for Jackson and their two second-rounders (#33 and #39) ... win/win for both teams?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    The Rams want a receiver that will stretch the field? Hmmm....Wallace and our second-rounder for Jackson and their two second-rounders (#33 and #39) ... win/win for both teams?
    I can't think of a way to make it work...

The only way that the Rams would part with Jackson is if they could draft Trent Richardson...the only way to draft Richardson is to trade up to #3 in front of the Browns...the only way to do that is to give up at least one of those 2nd round picks...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I can't think of a way to make it work...

The only way that the Rams would part with Jackson is if they could draft Trent Richardson...the only way to draft Richardson is to trade up to #3 in front of the Browns...the only way to do that is to give up at least one of those 2nd round picks...
    Well, you're right...and I'm not really looking to dump Wallace anyway...and I don't really think we need Jackson...so I'm not even disappointed that you demolished my scenario.

Legend

User Info Menu

Have to agree with Ruthless on this one. Jackson 3-4 years ago is a guy you want. Jackson as you watch and wait for the wheels to fall off....no thanks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Have to agree with Ruthless on this one. Jackson 3-4 years ago is a guy you want. Jackson as you watch and wait for the wheels to fall off....no thanks.
    No doubt. Jackson has been great for them, but he's toast. Anyone who can't anticipate that is a dull as a doorknob. (NOT syaing guys above are... I'm talking football executives.)
    Last edited by Shoe; 04-25-2012 at 08:45 PM.