Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Tannehill is still on the board

Jaguars claim Dolphins will take Tannehill

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2012

It’s unclear which team wants to trade down more: the Vikings at No. 3 or the Jaguars at No. 7.

For now, we’ll call it a tie.

Minnesota is trying its damnedest to drum up a market for the first pick after the top two picks, which barring the intervention of a bus, a lightning bolt, and/or a Biblical plague will be Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III. The Jaguars, who widely are believed to be hoping to trade down from the seventh spot, are now openly selling the idea that the Dolphins will take quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick in the draft.

Appearing on 930AM with Pete Prisco (via Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union), Jaguars director of player personnel Terry McDonough said that “people know Miami’s going to take [Tannehill," and that "if a team wants a quarterback they're going to have to come in front of Miami."

And who's directly in front of Miami? The Jaguars.

That dynamic could help explain the Dolphins' aggressive and repeated denials of the reports that owner Stephen Ross wants Tannehill. If the Dolphins don't knock that one down, they're bolstering the notion that they'd take Tannehill -- and they're encouraging a team like the Seahawks at No. 12 to trade up five spots.

Conversely, if the Dolphins don't want Tannehill, they have every reason to create the impression that they do. If, after all, someone leapfrogs Miami to take a player the Dolphins don't want, it'll push someone the Dolphins actually want one spot farther down the board.

So if they want him, they should create the impression they don't. If they don't want him, they should create the impression they do.

Unless they're operating on a higher level of misdirection, which would entail creating the impression they don't want him and hoping that someone will interpret that to mean they do want him, when in reality they don't want him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ake-tannehill/

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Unless they're operating on a higher level of misdirection, which would entail creating the impression they don't want him and hoping that someone will interpret that to mean they do want him, when in reality they don't want him.
    But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. You must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ahahahaha, ahahahaha, ahahaha---* thud *

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. You must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong. So, you could have put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard which means you must have studied. And in studying, you must have learned that man is mortal so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ahahahaha, ahahahaha, ahahaha---* thud *
    Truly, you have a dizzying intellect....