Thread: Steelers weighing quarterback options

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers weighing quarterback options

Steelers weighing quarterback options

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Tribune-Review

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

The top QBs for this week’s NFL Draft after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III:

Player, school Ht. Wt.

1. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M 6-4 221

2. Brandon Weeden, Okla. St. 6-4 220

3. Brock Osweiler, Arizona St. 6-7 242

4. Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. 6-3 214

5. Nick Foles, Arizona 6-5 240

6. Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 5-11 204

7. Case Keenum, Houston 6-1 210

8. Austin Davis, Southern Miss 6-2 220

9. Kellen Moore, Boise State 6-0 197

10. Dominique Davis, E. Carolina 6-3 215

The Steelers aren't likely to opt for a quarterback with either of their early-round picks, as there are greater needs, particularly on the offensive line.

Yet general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin face an inevitable reality about the team's quarterback situation — that two-time Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger has become increasingly vulnerable to injuries, in part, because an often-injured, sometimes unreliable offensive line has left his blind side exposed far too often.

Roethlisberger limped through part of last season with ankle and foot injuries that limited his effectiveness, especially in a key regular-season loss to San Francisco and a playoff defeat in Denver.

"Ben Roethlisberger has been getting hit and getting hit a lot," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "This is a team that needs a strong draft. They're a team you would argue is on the decline. If Ben is going to keep getting hit ... they've got to get better, especially on the offensive line."

More troublesome, however, is the uncertainty surrounding Roethlisberger's backups.

Byron Leftwich, the expected No. 2 when training camp begins, missed last season with a broken arm. Charlie Batch enters his 15th season, his 12th with the Steelers. And former third-stringer Dennis Dixon is pursuing the free-agent market.

Tomlin indicated during last month's owners meetings that the Steelers were interested in either drafting or acquiring a young quarterback. Two weeks later, the Steelers and Batch, 37, agreed to a one-year deal.

"We could add to that, be it the draft or free agency," Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed free agents Jerrod Johnson and Troy Smith earlier this year. Smith, a former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, spent three seasons with the Ravens.

Kiper projects that eight quarterbacks — including expected No. 1 Andrew Luck (Indianapolis) and No. 2 Robert Griffin III (Washington) — could be taken in the first two rounds. There's a chance a few first-round prospects could slip to the second round, including Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M, Brandon Weeden of Oklahoma State, Nick Foles of Arizona, Russell Wilson of Wisconsin and Kirk Cousins of Michigan State.

"We aren't going to take a quarterback in the first round," Colbert said. "But beyond that I would never close the door."

The Steelers, like most teams, will probably carry three quarterbacks on their roster next season. But Batch was Roethlisberger's only backup for much of last season with Leftwich on injured reserve and Dixon on the inactive list.

Even if the Steelers find a potential successor to Roethlisberger during the draft, they must address the more pressing issue of a thin offensive line.

"The offensive line right now is a problematic area," Kiper said. "The bottom line is there's only two set positions on that offensive line."

The Steelers have the 24th overall pick. Unless they negotiate a draft-day deal, they will have 10 picks, including three compensatory selections in the seventh round.

[URL="http://triblive.com/sports/1070591-85/steelers-roethlisberger-draft-offensive-season-quarterback-round-ben-state-team#ixzz1su1evwsE"]http://triblive.com/sports/1070591-8...#ixzz1su1evwsE[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BJ Coleman would be a nice developmental pick in the 5-6th round, IMO.

big kid with a strong arm, transferred out of tennessee.

Legend

User Info Menu

brilliant tomlin. lets draft a qb for when ben gets injured instead of drafting an oline to protect him

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Lindley would be a nice pick up from SD State in Round 4 or 5.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    brilliant tomlin. lets draft a qb for when ben gets injured instead of drafting an oline to protect him
    Where did Tomlin say he doesn't want to improve the OL? That's only from some on this board who can never get enough defense even when this team will only be as successful as Ben.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Aaron Corp.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Where was this said in the story, I must of missed it

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Where was this said in the story, I must of missed it
    "We plan to play Ben Roethlisberger behind a craptastic o-line until his wheels fall off" - Mike Tomlin

(I'd love to hear Tomlin say the word "craptastic").
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Where did Tomlin say he doesn't want to improve the OL? That's only from some on this board who can never get enough defense even when this team will only be as successful as Ben.
    Hands up who thinks Ovi will be the first to complain if Hampton goes down for the season & teams run all over our defense.....

Last Chadman checked, there are 7 rounds to find players to help in every position...if they don't select an OL in Round 1, but get 1 in Round 3- is that neglecting the line? Add to this 3 of the off-season re-signings have been OL....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    "We plan to play Ben Roethlisberger behind a craptastic o-line until his wheels fall off" - Mike Tomlin (I'd love to hear Tomlin say the word "craptastic").
    I gotta get glasses I guess folks keep gettin things out of these story's that I just don't see

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.