Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Draft Press Conference

Legend

User Info Menu

Pre-Draft Press Conference

From twitter reports from various beat writers, Colbert and Tomlin addressed the following at their press conference today:

- Draft has best numbers at WR and CB
    - Worst positions are FB, TE, C and S
    - Steelers have narrowed their board to about 150 players
    - No "needs" in the draft, only "wants"
    - Few players who could step in and help immediately
    - Not many sure fire players this year -- lots of uncertainty after top 7 - 10
    - Some visits may have been a smoke screen
    - Not worried about Wallace, will not impact draft preparation/strategy
    - Kirby Wilson will be with the team during the draft

As expected, not much in the way of real information.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm hoping that the team has David DeCastro among those top 7-10 "sure-fire" players, and if he surprisingly falls within reasonable striking distance (since teams don't put a premium on a position like guard), the team does what is necessary to move up to get a "sure-fire" player in a draft without many of them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'm hoping that the team has David DeCastro among those top 7-10 "sure-fire" players, and if he surprisingly falls within reasonable striking distance (since teams don't put a premium on a position like guard), the team does what is necessary to move up to get a "sure-fire" player in a draft without many of them.
    I agree. Kiper has DeCastro going to the Bengals at #21. I'd be more than tempted to move up four spots to grab him.

My nightmare is the team has Hightower in the "sure fire" category. I'm not high on the guy at all but what do I know?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I agree. Kiper has DeCastro going to the Bengals at #21. I'd be more than tempted to move up four spots to grab him.

My nightmare is the team has Hightower in the "sure fire" category. I'm not high on the guy at all but what do I know?
    I totally agree on both DeCastro and Hightower. I really don't think it will be Hightower and would be disappointed if we default to defense yet again.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why only have a draft board of 150 players? We have 4 7th round picks and then need to find some UDFAs. That just seems short sighted.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Why only have a draft board of 150 players? We have 4 7th round picks and then need to find some UDFAs. That just seems short sighted.
    I am positive they have guys who don't fit the system, have questionable character, injuries, positions that are not a need etc. not on their board. There are a lot guys with those issues in the draft. They most likely have guys rated all the way to FA status on their board. I believe that Colbert is more intelligent than only having a board with guys through the 5th round
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I am positive they have guys who don't fit the system, have questionable character, injuries, positions that are not a need etc. not on their board. There are a lot guys with those issues in the draft. They most likely have guys rated all the way to FA status on their board. I believe that Colbert is more intelligent than only having a board with guys through the 5th round
    Exactly. I seem to remember that Colbert makes a similar statement about narrowing the board to 150-200 players almost annually.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    You still have one of the best Mocks this year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like the "no needs, just wants" position. It means to me that they aren't going to be reaching for anything.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You still have one of the best Mocks this year.
    Thank you sir!
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242