Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Pre-Draft Press Conference

  1. #1

    Pre-Draft Press Conference

    From twitter reports from various beat writers, Colbert and Tomlin addressed the following at their press conference today:

    - Draft has best numbers at WR and CB
    - Worst positions are FB, TE, C and S
    - Steelers have narrowed their board to about 150 players
    - No "needs" in the draft, only "wants"
    - Few players who could step in and help immediately
    - Not many sure fire players this year -- lots of uncertainty after top 7 - 10
    - Some visits may have been a smoke screen
    - Not worried about Wallace, will not impact draft preparation/strategy
    - Kirby Wilson will be with the team during the draft

    As expected, not much in the way of real information.

  2. #2
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    I'm hoping that the team has David DeCastro among those top 7-10 "sure-fire" players, and if he surprisingly falls within reasonable striking distance (since teams don't put a premium on a position like guard), the team does what is necessary to move up to get a "sure-fire" player in a draft without many of them.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'm hoping that the team has David DeCastro among those top 7-10 "sure-fire" players, and if he surprisingly falls within reasonable striking distance (since teams don't put a premium on a position like guard), the team does what is necessary to move up to get a "sure-fire" player in a draft without many of them.
    I agree. Kiper has DeCastro going to the Bengals at #21. I'd be more than tempted to move up four spots to grab him.

    My nightmare is the team has Hightower in the "sure fire" category. I'm not high on the guy at all but what do I know?

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,298
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I agree. Kiper has DeCastro going to the Bengals at #21. I'd be more than tempted to move up four spots to grab him.

    My nightmare is the team has Hightower in the "sure fire" category. I'm not high on the guy at all but what do I know?
    I totally agree on both DeCastro and Hightower. I really don't think it will be Hightower and would be disappointed if we default to defense yet again.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,954
    Why only have a draft board of 150 players? We have 4 7th round picks and then need to find some UDFAs. That just seems short sighted.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  6. #6
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Why only have a draft board of 150 players? We have 4 7th round picks and then need to find some UDFAs. That just seems short sighted.
    I am positive they have guys who don't fit the system, have questionable character, injuries, positions that are not a need etc. not on their board. There are a lot guys with those issues in the draft. They most likely have guys rated all the way to FA status on their board. I believe that Colbert is more intelligent than only having a board with guys through the 5th round

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I am positive they have guys who don't fit the system, have questionable character, injuries, positions that are not a need etc. not on their board. There are a lot guys with those issues in the draft. They most likely have guys rated all the way to FA status on their board. I believe that Colbert is more intelligent than only having a board with guys through the 5th round
    Exactly. I seem to remember that Colbert makes a similar statement about narrowing the board to 150-200 players almost annually.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,298
    Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I am positive they have guys who don't fit the system, have questionable character, injuries, positions that are not a need etc. not on their board. There are a lot guys with those issues in the draft. They most likely have guys rated all the way to FA status on their board. I believe that Colbert is more intelligent than only having a board with guys through the 5th round
    You still have one of the best Mocks this year.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,094
    I like the "no needs, just wants" position. It means to me that they aren't going to be reaching for anything.

  10. #10
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You still have one of the best Mocks this year.
    Thank you sir!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •