Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Wallace says he won’t sign “until he has to”

I think people are making way too big a deal about this. He knows that the Steelers have 90% of the leverage in this negotiation. I think he and his agent are just trying to use the 10% they have to get a better long term deal.

Why do I think this will end up as much ado about nothing? The Steelers have gotten Pro Bowl worthy production at a bargain price. Of course the guy is going to want to get paid. He should do everything in his power to get what he wants here.

Steelers 'not worried' about Mike Wallace reports

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
    Published: April 23, 2012

Mike Wallace might not be happy about his current contract situation, but there's not much he can do about it. And the Pittsburgh Steelers know it.

"We're not worried about the reports," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Monday at a pre-draft news conference. "He's still here. We will deal with it day to day."

There is no reason for the Steelers to be worried. They say Wallace's situation won't affect their draft plans. ESPN reported the wide receiver won't attend voluntary work anytime soon, choosing to wait before signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent.

In theory, Wallace is waiting to see if any team will try to trade for him on draft day. We find that extremely unlikely. Eventually, Wallace will have to show up.

"We felt all along the decision would be ours," Colbert said about Wallace's lack of movement on the restricted market. "We want Mike to be here for the long haul. He knows that."

Unless Wallace lowers his contract demands, he might stay on a one-year contract. That arrangement could last two seasons with the franchise tag looming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think "until he has to" means June 15. He'll stay away from minicamps and OTA's in the meantime, hoping that Bus Cook and Omar Khan are able to come up with a long term deal that works out for both sides before then. I predict he signs the $2.7 million tender on June 15, and reports to camp in Latrobe with the team in July. Hopefully something works out before we halt negotiations during the regular season. I don't see Vincent Jackson when I look at Mike Wallace...I don't see him trying to pull "sit out the first 10 weeks" tactic.
    My thoughts exactly. Pulling a Vincent Jackson wouldn't be a bright move on the part of Wallace or his agent.

Will unhappy Wallace leave Steelers in '13?

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
    April 22, 2012

It's clear that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is not happy with the Pittsburgh Steelers right now. He is prepared to sit out offseason drills and at least the start of training camp, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Does this hurt the Steelers' chances of keeping him long term? Not at all. Players get upset about their contract status all the time and skip workouts on a regular basis to show their dissatisfaction with their current situation.

Just remember the recent predicament with guard Logan Mankins, who was unhappy and wanted out of New England because he didn't want to play as a restricted free agent. How did that get resolved? Mankins signed a six-year contract last summer that included a $20 million signing bonus.

It was a similar ugly standoff last year between the Tennessee Titans and running back Chris Johnson. In the end, the sides were shaking hands on four-year, $53.5 million contract extension that included $30 million guaranteed.

Wallace wants a long-term deal instead of a $2.7 million first-round tender. He has outplayed his contract, and the Steelers have repeatedly said they want to sign him to a multiyear deal. This problem probably won't get resolved this year, but Wallace would only be hurting himself by dragging this out beyond June 15 (when the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 if he doesn't sign).

The Steelers don't a have long history of re-signing their wide receivers in free agency -- only Hines Ward has been retained -- but there's also no reason to doubt the team's desire to keep him. Pittsburgh has rewarded Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with extensions.

Plus, Wallace is a key part of the Steelers' deep passing game. His receiving yards (3,206) and touchdowns (24) both rank as the second most by an NFL receiver in his first three seasons. And, even when Wallace isn't catching the ball, the threat of him running deep opens up the underneath for wide receiver Antonio Brown and tight end Heath Miller.

So, Wallace is ticked off by his contract status, and the Steelers aren't going to like him missing workouts in a year with a new offensive coordinator. But NFL history shows that a multiyear contract can turn a temporarily bad situation into a happy long-term one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...steelers-in-13

I get it about Wallace possibly waiting for the last minute to sign. Why be a push over. On the other hand, I wouldn't break the bank for him with a new contract next season. I want players that want to be a Steeler and play here in Pittsburgh. If money is a guys first priority then, let him go for the cash. Paid for what he is worth sure but, the dude doesn't deserve Fiztgerald type dollars. Something of respect he deserves but I don't think Wallace is a game changer and so he shouldn't get that type of coin. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune when the day comes he is gone and maybe Arians wasn't using him to his full capacity but, I won't cry if he doesn't return this season or any season afterwards.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I don't understand how Steeler fans can think that Mike Wallace is not a game changer. Fans of all other teams can see that he is a game changer, and would LOVE to have someone like that on their team. He's the biggest big-play threat in all of football (Roethlisberger-to-Wallace 40+ yard hookups are already at historical levels), and he ranks #2 ALL TIME in terms of catches, receiving yards, and receiving TD's in the first 3 years of a career.

maybe i just have a short memory or expect too much. i would love to see wallace and ben or the entire offense for that matter under our new oc and see how well they could gel. my last memories of wallace have been, him not geting open, not fighting for the ball and actually being a ghost at the end of the season. again, it's probably just me being sore over our quick departure in the playoffs and our last super bowl loss.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't understand how Steeler fans can think that Mike Wallace is not a game changer. Fans of all other teams can see that he is a game changer, and would LOVE to have someone like that on their team. He's the biggest big-play threat in all of football (Roethlisberger-to-Wallace 40+ yard hookups are already at historical levels), and he ranks #2 ALL TIME in terms of catches, receiving yards, and receiving TD's in the first 3 years of a career.
    All fans that I recently talk to (49ers, Giants, Redskins, Packers) all think he's a good player and they would like Wallace on their team. HOWEVER, each one of my friends that are fans of those teams thank it's absolutely laughable that he wants CLOSE to Fitzgerald money. And it is laughable.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    All fans that I recently talk to (49ers, Giants, Redskins, Packers) all think he's a good player and they would like Wallace on their team. HOWEVER, each one of my friends that are fans of those teams thank it's absolutely laughable that he wants CLOSE to Fitzgerald money. And it is laughable.
    Sure, it's laughable, but agents are always going to shoot for the moon in the early portions of negotiation. It's also laughable that Joe Flacco thinks he's the best QB in the NFL, and his agent is probably pushing for him to get paid as such (I have heard of no progress on the Joe Flacco contract extension talks either). That's just the way things have always gone (only in the past, these negotiating tactics were always done behind closed doors and out of the public eye, while now agents are using ProFootballTalk and Twitter and whatever else they can, so we see more of the sordid underbelly of the business side of football now than we used to).