Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OLB vs ILB

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    That's why I prefaced my comment with "As Far As I Know..."

Take it easy, keyboard warrior.
    Not a keyboard warrior....just didn't see how on one hand you are saying I am taking huge leaps of judgement when I wasn't at all, but then your information was incorrect. Took that the wrong way I suppose. Sorry for that.

Have had bad experiences trying to simply chat about my other two favorite teams from Pittsburgh on MB's lately where any time you say anything it turns into some BS debate where you feel like you need a law degree to even talk without being blasted. Kind of takes the fun out of simply chatting about your favorite team with other fans.

Chadman, was referring to McLellin. Just saw him at 27 to the Pats in Walterfootballs latest Mock and it just got me thinking about this whole OLB-ILB thing. Harrison was originally an ILB, Timmons an OLB, and it is now being discussed that Worilds will attempt to move inside. Kind of makes me think 1) Tomlin is full of crap saying we needed OLB depth instead of ILB when passing over SEan Lee for Worilds....kind of ironic now that they want Worilds to try and move inside and Sean Lee is a totall badass inside already and 2) if it is a huge deal to maybe reach a little for a guy you like like picking Timmons at 15 when most mocks had him ranked in the later portion of the first round. Would that same mentality apply to taking someone like McLellin who most predict early 2nd when at 24 as long as the Steelers feel he is their guy? I have read the Pats are real high on him and see him as a Vrabel type OLB.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify with you Shoe that I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk. Also, being that I am not sold on taking Hightower or really, it seems like anyone that would be sitting there at 24 (in most mocks it seems the quality is way down by our pick), then I wouldn't have an issue if they reached a little for a guy who can come in and stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not being funny- but can you explain why? He's 260lbs, which is bigger than Farrior ever was, and quite agile.

Worilds was inconsistent against the run when he played on the outside where he could use his speed and agility, why would he be better on the inside where he has never played before?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Worilds was inconsistent against the run when he played on the outside where he could use his speed and agility, why would he be better on the inside where he has never played before?
    I think it is all a matter of learning the defense so that your movements are natural and you can attack the play without hesitation. I think Worilds has a ton of ability but coming from college had a pass rush first mentality. It takes a while to get used to a new more complex defense, where your responsibilities involve reading run and possible pass options, as well as pass rush. David Te thinks the third year could be the breakout for Worilds. I side with his thinking. I think Worilds should be more involved with the next years defense than guys like Sylvester, who hasn't shown me much on defense, or Foote, who is a solid vet, but does not possess the size or athletic ability of Worilds.

I was encouraged by Worilds in his limited play last year. No way is he this horrible player as some portray him to be.

Hall of Famer
    No worries Mister Pittsburgh... just a misunderstanding.

In think more about this issue (and from my PoV, LB will be best value/need pick), I want to amplify why I prefer Kendricks to Hightower in the first round.

First of all, to those who say 24 is too high for Kendricks. Please realize that Kendricks is projected as a solid 2nd. That's 33-64. From 24 to 33, it's not that huge a value difference, if you like a player that much. In other words, it's easily worth the loss in "value", picking a guy a bit ahead of where everyone else seems to think--if you can ensure that you will get that guy, AND he turns into the player you think.

Now, as to why I think Kendricks is the better fit. He is scheme-diverse. He can play the 3-4 ILB slot next to Timmons (coincidentally, giving us the fastest set of ILBs in the league by far)... but he can just as easily fit as a 4-3 OLB/MLB. Hightower doesn't bring that level of scheme diversity IMO.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No worries Mister Pittsburgh... just a misunderstanding.

In think more about this issue (and from my PoV, LB will be best value/need pick), I want to amplify why I prefer Kendricks to Hightower in the first round.

First of all, to those who say 24 is too high for Kendricks. Please realize that Kendricks is projected as a solid 2nd. That's 33-64. From 24 to 33, it's not that huge a value difference, if you like a player that much. In other words, it's easily worth the loss in "value", picking a guy a bit ahead of where everyone else seems to think--if you can ensure that you will get that guy, AND he turns into the player you think.

Now, as to why I think Kendricks is the better fit. He is scheme-diverse. He can play the 3-4 ILB slot next to Timmons (coincidentally, giving us the fastest set of ILBs in the league by far)... but he can just as easily fit as a 4-3 OLB/MLB. Hightower doesn't bring that level of scheme diversity IMO.
    You know what? Chadman isn't completely against that idea.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Drafting a LB is imperative for Steelers

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012
    By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com

The lifeblood of the Pittsburgh Steelers failed them last year.

Their group of linebackers, the heart of their 3-4 defense, had one of its worst statistical seasons in decades.

Injuries played a part. So did age. James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley saw double-digit sack streaks stopped when they — hurting and hurt, respectively — finished with 9 sacks apiece.

James Farrior had only 2 sacks and was released. Lawrence Timmons was moved outside and back inside and had only 2 sacks. Backups Jason Worilds and Larry Foote had 3 and 1 sacks.

The defense accounted for only 35 sacks, lowest since the 2003 defense had 35 and the 1990 defense had 34.

Worse was the scant number of “splash plays,” as coach Mike Tomlin likes to call them.

To quantify “splash plays,” add interceptions and forced fumbles, and by that measurement last year’s Steelers linebackers made only 6 “splash plays.”

That measure was the worst in the 13 seasons D!ck LeBeau has spent on the Steelers’ defensive staff.

In defenses LeBeau has coached here (three seasons secondary; 10 seasons coordinator), the top six linebackers have never had less than 12 interceptions and forced fumbles.

The previous 3-4 defenses pale when comparing sacks and/or “splash plays” to the LeBeau-era 3-4s, but only one other time has a group of 3-4 Steelers linebackers made only six “splash plays” — and that was in the strike-shortened 1987 season (Cole, Hinkle, Little, Merriweather).

The Steelers began playing the 3-4 defense in 1982.

Perhaps this all helps us better understand why the Steelers are looking so intently at linebackers this draft season.

Whether they’re looking to replace Farrior, or moving Worilds inside, or searching for the 34-year-old Harrison’s eventual replacement, or whether they’re merely reacting to statistical evidence, the Steelers are making no secret about their interest.

These are the main outside linebacker candidates:

Nick Perry (6-2.6, 271, 4.59) — No one his size at the combine was as fast, but a 4.66 20-yard shuttle does not indicate a smooth transition from DE to OLB. The two best Pac-12 OTs said at the combine that Perry is the real deal.

Whitney Mercilus (6-3.5, 254, 4.69) — Should be nicknamed “Ming” by now. Mercilus was outstanding against Penn State and Ohio State. Similar in size and style to Joey Porter, but the redshirt junior had only one good year.

Courtney Upshaw (6-1.5, 272, 4.79) — Alabama cross between Harrison and Woodley has even more trouble than Woodley cutting weight.

Shea McClellin (6-3.3, 260, 4.66) — Those who subscribe to KEI theory (strength + jump numbers = explosiveness) won’t like this Boise Stater, but the DE can get downfield to cover. Also, wouldn’t shut up about his hero Mike Vrabel at the combine.

Andre Branch (6-4.2, 259, 4.69) — Steelers had him in for a visit, but peg this Clemson DE as a too-late first-rounder/too-early second-rounder.

Bruce Irvin (6-3, 245, 4.44) — Former WVU 3-3 backup DE had the best agility times of every front-seven player at the combine (and all but one safety in each category). The downside is he’s been in jail and was arrested again recently for a minor disturbance. Steelers scouts can dream, though.

Olivier Vernon (6-2.1, 261, 4.77) — True junior DE sat out six games for “impermissible benefits” last season at Miami. Right age and position for the Steelers.

Cam Johnson (6-3.4, 268, 4.81) — Steelers also had this Virginia pass-rusher in for a visit. Reminiscent on the field of Clark Haggans, without the heart.

And here are the inside linebackers:

Luke Kuechly (6-3.2, 242, 4.61) — Don’t know whether he’s the next Jack Lambert or the next Jack Ham. Best instincts I’ve seen from a college linebacker in years.

Donta Hightower (6-2.2, 265, 4.64) — Big, fast, intimidating, intelligent leader would fit right into Farrior’s “buck,” or playcalling, position.

Lavonte David (6-0.5, 233, 4.59) — Nebraska captain should last into early second round, or could be Tomlin curveball in first.

Mychal Kendricks (5-11.1, 239, 4.46) — Cal MLB put up top times and jumps at the combine, but will likely be overdrafted. Reportedly struggled at the combine whiteboard.

James-Michael Johnson (6-1.1, 241, 4.66) — If Hightower’s not there in the first, wait for this MLB from Nevada ...

Demario Davis (6-2, 235, 4.56) - ... or this MLB from Arkansas State in the middle rounds. Followers of aforementioned KEI theory call Davis the second most explosive athlete behind Nick Perry. Stood up Cordy Glenn twice at the Senior Bowl to tackle RBs.

Ronnell Lewis (6-1.6, 253, 4.67) — Like Irvin, Lewis was a backup 3-3 DE for a coach who didn’t know how to use him. A true junior, Lewis is a fearsome special-teams killer. But where to play him?

Nigel Bradham (6-1.7, 241, 4.59) — Was shown around Florida State campus during his recruiting visit by Timmons. Would have to play “mack” and move Timmons to the more cerebral “buck,” but for whatever reason the Steelers are teaching Timmons to play OLB instead of the captain’s position.

Travis Lewis (6-1.3, 246, 4.77) — Overhyped since his freshman year at Oklahoma, this Larry Foote clone could be underrated by now.

Danny Trevathan (6-0.2, 237) — No one else likes this small, slow and ultra-productive Kentucky overachiever. But would not surprise me if he becomes a solid starter in the league.

Pittsburgh Steelers’ Value Board

First Round — Luke Kuechly, Boston College; Dont’a Hightower, Alabama; Nick Perry, USC.

Second Round — Lavonte David, Nebraska.

Third Round — James-Michael Johnson, Nevada; Olivier Vernon, Miami.

Fourth Round — Demario Davis, Arkansas State; Nigel Bradham, Florida State; Bobby Wagner, Utah State.

Fifth Round — Miles Burris, San Diego State; Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest; Travis Lewis, Oklahoma.

Seventh Round — Danny Trevathan, Kentucky; Sammy Brown, Houston; Adrian Robinson, Temple; Jerrell Harris, Alabama.

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports...3c33d9604.html

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Casey and Colon are no guarantees to perform at a high level early this season if at all.
    Guarantee? Vegas is issuing odds as to which pre-season game it will be when we lose Colon for the season.