Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLB vs ILB

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Interesting interview on "The site that won't be named" the other day with David-Te Thomas about the Steelers- he shares an agent with Jason Worilds & suggested that Worilds is practicing with Tom Shaw & talk is he could be learning the ILB position. If that is the case, OLB becomes a definate 'future need' & someone like Perry, McLellin or Ingram become very real possibilities at #24...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    I like McLellin's size & speed. He's tall but solid at 260 but his 40 wasn't slow. Would be great news if Worilds & Timmons could man the middle.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The Steelers took a huge project OLB much higher then 24 in Timmons when everyone & their brother had him much lower.
    Dude, you're making some huge leaps of judgement. First of all, Timmons was highly rated coming out of college. If he was overdrafted, it wasn't by much (He was certainly a first-rounder).

Second, you made the statement of Harrison's ability to play ILB. What gives you that idea? AFAIK, he's never played the position, at least not as a professional in an actual game. And for the record, projecting Harrison to play at his "usual" production IMO is more of a long shot than it is a certainty. The guy is undersized, 33+ years old, and had back surgery last year. It's the favorite to say that he will never be the same player ever again.

On that end, I think that Chris Carter can fill that role as either a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 OLB. I really have no basis for that mind you, just a hunch.

I like McLellin's size & speed. He's tall but solid at 260 but his 40 wasn't slow. Would be great news if Worilds & Timmons could man the middle.
    it would be great, but i just don't see Worilds being able to hold up against the run in the middle.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Interesting interview on "The site that won't be named" the other day with David-Te Thomas about the Steelers- he shares an agent with Jason Worilds & suggested that Worilds is practicing with Tom Shaw & talk is he could be learning the ILB position. If that is the case, OLB becomes a definate 'future need' & someone like Perry, McLellin or Ingram become very real possibilities at #24...
    Perry or McClellin, maybe...but Melvin Ingram??? He should be looooooong gone by the time we pick at #24. I've heard scuttlebutt about his stock possibly dropping a bit, but I think that means instead of going in the top 10, he might go in the early teens now.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Perry or McClellin, maybe...but Melvin Ingram??? He should be looooooong gone by the time we pick at #24. I've heard scuttlebutt about his stock possibly dropping a bit, but I think that means instead of going in the top 10, he might go in the early teens now.
    Let Chadman rephrase that one...Courtney Upshaw...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

no offense,
    None taken.
    there is no way in hell woodley is the best pass rusher in the NFL.
    IIRC, Woodley had 8 or 9 sacks early in the season last year before the hamstring injury. Talent-wise he is at least one of the best pass-rushers, just injury prone.
    And taking a project OLB in round 1 would be a terrible move.
    He did play some OLB at Illinois so he's not as much of a project as the usual DE's. IMO he would be a huge improvement over our current back-ups, and our backups tend to see a lot of action.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Harrison was an ILB. Do some research before running your mouth. He was an ILB and the primary backup at both ILB & OLB. But yeah, I'm sure he has no clue. His back has been what ails him. You think him being a 6' tall LB going up against 6'5"+ has anything to do with that?
    http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=...%2f175170.html

Timmons was a young, 1 year starter that was projected lower than 15 & near the back end in these mocks.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2007.php

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2007/mockdraft.shtml

Which all I was trying to point out was the Steelers aren't afraid to reach for a player they want. But yes, I would say a young, 1 yr starting DE that is to convert to 3-4 OLB in DL's system is a big project.

Second, you made the statement of Harrison's ability to play ILB. What gives you that idea? AFAIK, he's never played the position, at least not as a professional in an actual game.
    He played ILB in two consecutive preseasons and was a beast before he became a starter.
    BnB Mock 2014
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
    3. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
    4. Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
    5. Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
    5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB, Notre Dame
    6. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
    7. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (went to BnB's Los Alamitos High School)

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend
    The Steelers took a huge project OLB much higher then 24 in Timmons when everyone & their brother had him much lower.
    Are you referring to Mercilus, McLellin or Andre Branch as this years example?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00