Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dixon Loses out to Painter for Backup Job

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean like all those great QBs we developed in Noll's later years and under Cowher????? Nice try, but it has nothing to do with Tomlin-era anything. Hell we wouldn't even have Big Ben if Cowher had his way. Thank God Rooney overruled him.

Tomlin still has A LOT to prove to me. I agree about Cowher though. He always had the team but he was content w/ his lackluster QB play. Once he finally got a true QB, we all saw the results.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Tomlin still has A LOT to prove to me. I agree about Cowher though. He always had the team but he was content w/ his lackluster QB play. Once he finally got a true QB, we all saw the results.
    There's a give and take to all this. Some players can be developed and others can't. No team in the league has found the perfect strategy. But in this salary-capped league, you can't have a top-notch everything.

Tomlin has nothing to prove to me. He takes the team that he has and makes as much or more out of it than any other team in the league.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    There's a give and take to all this. Some players can be developed and others can't. No team in the league has found the perfect strategy. But in this salary-capped league, you can't have a top-notch everything.

Tomlin has nothing to prove to me. He takes the team that he has and makes as much or more out of it than any other team in the league.
    It really hasn't been "his" team. In that regard, "his" players. A few here and a few there.... but overall, this team was built. He really didn't need to rebuild anything. At this point, the rebuilding needs to start progressing. He can only stretch Cowher and Colberts players so far.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I thought Hines said Dixon was going to be a star?

So, Hines missed a prediction. You should know how it feels, given that you said we'd go 5-11 in 2004, Cowher was going to coach a year after retirement, Ben was going to be cut for a $60M salary dump this offseason, etc... According to YOU, our front office and coaching staff NEVER do ANYTHING right except drafting Ben and then subsequently placing no value in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    And somehow Crash finds a way to take a very lame attempt at a shot on Hines.
    ...in a Dixon thread
    The man asked a question, and I answered it. That was also the same weekend that Hines Ward basically called his starting QB a p**** on national TV.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the moron who spouted off the message.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    So, Hines missed a prediction. You should know how it feels, given that you said we'd go 5-11 in 2004, Cowher was going to coach a year after retirement, Ben was going to be cut for a $60M salary dump this offseason, etc... According to YOU, our front office and coaching staff NEVER do ANYTHING right except drafting Ben and then subsequently placing no value in him.
    How do they value Ben? I think the facts pretty much show they don't value him at all.

They should have flat out told Goodell in public that WE are handling his suspension, not you.

They also bent over for Goodell because they hardly said anything in public about the way Ben was treated in 2010 by defenses.

Ben needs to tweak his game? NO, you build around him, and VALUE what he does as a player and hold the defense accountable for their 4th quarter garbage.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It really hasn't been "his" team. In that regard, "his" players. A few here and a few there.... but overall, this team was built. He really didn't need to rebuild anything. At this point, the rebuilding needs to start progressing. He can only stretch Cowher and Colberts players so far.
    Um, Colbert is still here and I hardly think that he stopped having input as soon as Tomlin arrived. If anything, he got more control because he wasn't dealing with a veteran SB winning coach. As for Tomlin, this is "his" team as he is the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Players will come and go from any team and he has made as much of what he has had to work with as any coach in the league would have, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cowher had early success with Noll's players too. Works both ways.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Cowher had early success with Noll's players too. Works both ways.
    Which shows the effect that another good coach can have on a group of players...just like Tomlin...

Legend

User Info Menu

The man asked a question, and I answered it. That was also the same weekend that Hines Ward basically called his starting QB a p**** on national TV.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the moron who spouted off the message.
    The point that I originally tried to make (and apparently made quite poorly) was that Dixon was a 5th round pick. I don't think that anybody seriously expected him to be a starter. He had a bit of upside based on his athleticism, but that was about it. If he was viewed as a potential starter in the league by talent evaluators, he would have been taken before the 5th round.

Crash, please tell me that you are not really finding a way to put a negative spin on a statement of support made by a teammate. It stretches any credibility that you may have. Did you expect Ward to say that Dixon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and had no place in the league?