Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focosteeler Mock!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    What do you suggest? In this draft, safety-wise, Alabama's Mark Barron is likely to be off the board before #24. Notre Dame's Harrison Smith is a reach at #24 and is likely to be off the board by #56. Then there is a drop-off. Both of those guys are probably better strong safeties than free safeties anyway. Our front office has shown some interest in Michigan State FS Trent Robinson, who should be a late-Friday or early-Saturday type of pick.

This is not a good draft for safeties. It should be a much better safety draft in 2013 (USC's T.J. McDonald, Alabama's Robert Lester, Georgia's Baccari Rambo, Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong, etc.), so that may be where we look for a future starter at safety (this year looks pretty much like a draft for safety depth after the first pair).

Are you basing this "dire need at FS" on the fact that Ryan Clark will not be able to play at Denver again? Well, we play Denver week 1, so no incoming rookie FS would offer more to us than Ryan Mundy does that soon into his Pro career. One way to break a young guy's spirit would be to start him at safety in prime time during week 1 of his rookie season in Peyton Manning's debut in the thin mountain air.
    No... I'm basing our dire need at FS on the fact that Clark is 32 y/o. We have Mundy backing up FS and SS. Polamalu has had injury / concussion issues. Clark's physical nature in combination w/ his age is very prone to injury. It's not a stretch to think that Clark and Polamalu could be injured at the same time.

What is our strategic plan for the FS position? Who is our "development" prospects for the FS position. We don't have any... thats who. Very, very poor planning from the coaching and FO perspective. It's actually worse than NT. It's one of the holes in this sinking ship.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    1 & 2 is a hefty price but if you can get a guy and lockup a position of need for the next 10 years then you do it. I like the 3rd and 4th picks as well.

However, I see a big gap and that is no one that addresses our dire need at FS.
    I personally didnt see any point at putting a safety in my mock. I think there is a 100% chance we draft one in the first 3 rounds next year. As ruthless said, outside of the top 2 guys this class is bad. Next year is the year for our future NT and Safety
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I personally didnt see any point at putting a safety in my mock. I think there is a 100% chance we draft one in the first 3 rounds next year. As ruthless said, outside of the top 2 guys this class is bad. Next year is the year for our future NT and Safety
    I agree about a weak safety class. I kept looking for one to put in but there really aren't many good ones. I think we need to look at converting a CB to Safety.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea, the Cowboys are interested in him- Barron. So that blows the idea of moving up with the Cowboys. There is no way they will move out of that spot, so this draft is as much fiction as there can be. Also, our biggest need isn't OG. It's in the middle of the defense. I personally beleive like many others that our greatest need is ILB with the loss of Farrior. However, a strong point can be made that another great need is Safety. I would be just as happy with Barron- IF he would fall. I am not at all interested in seeing them move up in the draft this year. There's no 'Troy' out there that's worth it....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Administrator

User Info Menu

I kind of changed my mind a bit on our "greatest" need. I think OG is #1, FS is #2, NT is #3.

Reasoning?

OG - Our starting guards would be backups just about anywhere else.

FS - Mundy is the #1 backup at FS and SS. He is not and never will be a future starter. We have no future plan for this position. As Ovi says, defensives players typically learn for a year... and some positions moreso than others. FS is one of those positions where a rookie won't start. If Polamalu and Clark get injured then what? Mundy starts at SS and who is going to play the other? idk... maybe Tomlin's plan is to have Carnell Lake suit up and play.

NT - A big need... McClendon played well although I'm not sure he's a full-time starter. I'll trust Tomlin's comment that Hood can play NT. I don't know why I'd trust him w/ a comment like that... This is coming from the same person that said Timmons was a 3-4 rightside OLB.

ILB - We have Foote and Sly. Servicable but certainly not recommended.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I kind of changed my mind a bit on our "greatest" need. I think OG is #1, FS is #2, NT is #3.

Reasoning?

OG - Our starting guards would be backups just about anywhere else.

FS - Mundy is the #1 backup at FS and SS. He is not and never will be a future starter. We have no future plan for this position. As Ovi says, defensives players typically learn for a year... and some positions moreso than others. FS is one of those positions where a rookie won't start. If Polamalu and Clark get injured then what? Mundy starts at SS and who is going to play the other? idk... maybe Tomlin's plan is to have Carnell Lake suit up and play.

NT - A big need... McClendon played well although I'm not sure he's a full-time starter. I'll trust Tomlin's comment that Hood can play NT. I don't know why I'd trust him w/ a comment like that... This is coming from the same person that said Timmons was a 3-4 rightside OLB.

ILB - We have Foote and Sly. Servicable but certainly not recommended.
    I agree with your #1 and #2 but I would probably put OT at #3. We have no idea if Colon can stay healthy or whether Gilbert can be successful at LT.

NT is pretty much a two down position nowadays and we can get a decent rotation with players selected later in Round 3-5.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Yea, the Cowboys are interested in him- Barron. So that blows the idea of moving up with the Cowboys. There is no way they will move out of that spot, so this draft is as much fiction as there can be. Also, our biggest need isn't OG. It's in the middle of the defense. I personally beleive like many others that our greatest need is ILB with the loss of Farrior. However, a strong point can be made that another great need is Safety. I would be just as happy with Barron- IF he would fall. I am not at all interested in seeing them move up in the draft this year. There's no 'Troy' out there that's worth it....
    Yes there is a hole where Farrior left, but we have an unknown in Sly, no matter who we draft they wont be playing for the first couple months. Butler has stated multiple times that they sit rookies so they can learn what they need to know when they are out on the field. I don't think it matters who we draft at ILB, they wont play for weeks.

I say our biggest need is OG because we need to keep Ben upright and healthy, especially this year, our offense is Ben. We need to be able to actually open holes in the running game. The guys we have starting would be backups on every other team in the league. You don't think that moving up for a guy who will dominate at his position for the next decade is worth it? I sure do
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes there is a hole where Farrior left, but we have an unknown in Sly, no matter who we draft they wont be playing for the first couple months. Butler has stated multiple times that they sit rookies so they can learn what they need to know when they are out on the field. I don't think it matters who we draft at ILB, they wont play for weeks.
    I think Hightower could start week 1. Unless he is completely lost, playbook wise, how could you start Sly or Foote over Hightower? Or possibly split playing time fro day 1.

Farrior was able to cover up Timmons' flaws for a couple years. I think it's Timmons' time to step up and fill any initial defiencies that Hightower may have initially. Well, let me take that back... 5 years into Timmons' career we're still talking about him reaching his potential

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cool

Yes there is a hole where Farrior left, but we have an unknown in Sly, no matter who we draft they wont be playing for the first couple months. Butler has stated multiple times that they sit rookies so they can learn what they need to know when they are out on the field. I don't think it matters who we draft at ILB, they wont play for weeks......
    Butler was referring to rookies who have never played in their system. Donta Hightower has. Two year defensive captain who called the the plays for Alabama 3-4 zone blitz.

What would Hightower need to learn/know? The different terminology? I would hope that one would understand that wouldn't be an issue for someone like Hightower's.

Yes...I know. I sound like a broken record.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash