Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Add Poe to list of 1st rounders visiting.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    There are several guys that I would get excited about if we were somehow able to get (if they happened to fall to us, or if we were able to trade up). Guys like DeCastro, Kuechly, Martin, Glenn, Barron.

There are several guys that I do not want to take at #24. Guys with red flags like Mike Adams or Janoris Jenkins, or 2nd round guys we'd reach for like Kevin Zeitler.

Poe is in the middle (along with Dont'a Hightower, for that matter). I like the idea of those picks, but don't love the idea. Both fill needs for us...Poe has a higher ceiling but Hightower has a higher floor...both could be solid picks...I wouldn't disagree with either of them at #24 (would greatly prefer either of them to the guys on that second list), but I'm still hoping for someone from that first list instead. We'll see.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Poe is in-between Big Daddy Wilkinson and Ziggy Hood. If you recall, Big Daddy also was considered a physical marvel. And like Poe, still didn't exactly set the world on fire with his play. Big Daddy ended being drafted on his so-called potential.

Hood was much the same way too. If I recall, he posted positional bests, or near positional bests at the Combine. That, combined with his solid yet unspectacular college career, pushed him into the first round. (In college, with "superior" physical skills, you should be owning folks.)

Poe is like that. Us drafting him will ensure a solid but wholly unspectacular D-line. We'd might not get pushed around (with a line like Poe, Heyward, and Hood), but they will do very little to change games IMO.
    That will be the case. Might as well take the names off the back of the jerseys for anyone who plays DL in this 3-4 because only the football minds know how well and what their roles are. Their production is measured by the success of the LBs in the film room. Poe, Ta’amu, and Chapman may do enough in time to standout at the NT position much like Hampton....But their success will never be measured in the stat book. It will be the LBs and the defense as a whole who will benefit from their production.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    There are several guys that I would get excited about if we were somehow able to get (if they happened to fall to us, or if we were able to trade up). Guys like DeCastro, Kuechly, Martin, Glenn, Barron.

There are several guys that I do not want to take at #24. Guys with red flags like Mike Adams or Janoris Jenkins, or 2nd round guys we'd reach for like Kevin Zeitler.
    Poe is in the middle (along with Dont'a Hightower, for that matter). I like the idea of those picks, but don't love the idea. Both fill needs for us...Poe has a higher ceiling but Hightower has a higher floor...both could be solid picks...I wouldn't disagree with either of them at #24 (would greatly prefer either of them to the guys on that second list), but I'm still hoping for someone from that first list instead. We'll see.
    Well said and you pretty much nailed my list.

From Don Banks of CNNSI who he now thinks will go to the Steelers at 24....

"The plummeting but freakishly gifted Poe"

Hilarious. Most of you should recall I said that Poe should have never climbed up the first round because of his combine work outs. That on film he didnt show much. So now he is supposedly falling? How does that happen? Very simple, experts scrambling for his game tapes.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    That will be the case. Might as well take the names off the back of the jerseys for anyone who plays DL in this 3-4 because only the football minds know how well and what their roles are. Their production is measured by the success of the LBs in the film room. Poe, Ta’amu, and Chapman may do enough in time to standout at the NT position much like Hampton....But their success will never be measured in the stat book. It will be the LBs and the defense as a whole who will benefit from their production.
    While you are correct, there still is opportunity to distinguish one's self.

I don't see Poe becoming Hampton or Smith. I think we've seen the best of Hood already, and it's not Hampton/Smith level. Cam Heyward may turn into a serviceable starter (e.g. Nolan Harrison), but I don't see him becoming anything much more than that.

Adding Poe would give us a decent front, but would probably prevent us from fieding a defense that's short of "great" (like that '08 team with Hampton & Smith for example).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    While you are correct, there still is opportunity to distinguish one's self.

I don't see Poe becoming Hampton or Smith. I think we've seen the best of Hood already, and it's not Hampton/Smith level. Cam Heyward may turn into a serviceable starter (e.g. Nolan Harrison), but I don't see him becoming anything much more than that.

Adding Poe would give us a decent front, but would probably prevent us from fieding a defense that's short of "great" (like that '08 team with Hampton & Smith for example).
    That is a high bar for anyone. I wouldn't say Hood-Heyward and whomever couldn't achieve that level. I actually think Heyward has more upside than Smith or Keisel. Hood has leveled off but that doesn't mean there isn't another rise on the horizon. As far as the NT...I actually like Ta'amu, Martin, and Chapman's value in more scenarios than Poe.

Legend

Would it really be a reach to take a guy like Zeitler at #24, especially if you believe he could be a Day 1 starter and start at OG for the next 10 years? Isn't the point to get a person who can help your team the most? If you know there is no chance you can get Zeitler in Round 2 why not get him in Round 1 versus a player who may sit and not contribute for a year or two.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Would it really be a reach to take a guy like Zeitler at #24, especially if you believe he could be a Day 1 starter and start at OG for the next 10 years? Isn't the point to get a person who can help your team the most? If you know there is no chance you can get Zeitler in Round 2 why not get him in Round 1 versus a player who may sit and not contribute for a year or two.
    Zeitler might be a day 1 starter, but I just don't see Pro Bowl potential there (which is what I'm looking for in a 1st round pick). Perhaps a Kendall Simmons like career (if it weren't ended prematurely by diabetic complications and an Achilles tendon tear). To me, Zeitler has a high floor (not a huge likelihood of being an outright bust), but also has a low ceiling. Other day two guards like Amini Silatolu and Brandon Brooks appear to have a higher ceiling to me, but of course carry greater risk, since they come from smaller programs and did not face the talent week-after-week that Zeitler did playing in the Big Ten.

Even though I see OL as our biggest need like you do, if the choice at #24 came down to Zeitler or Hightower, I'd take Hightower and then target Silatolu or Brooks in round 2 (I see a bigger dropoff from Hightower to the next tier of ILB's than I do from Zeitler to the next tier of OG's). Even though I would be taking a risk that Silatolu or Brooks could be a bust, I think those guys have some intriguing upside if they are able to develop into legit NFL starters.

Hall of Famer
    Zeitler might be a day 1 starter, but I just don't see Pro Bowl potential there (which is what I'm looking for in a 1st round pick). Perhaps a Kendall Simmons like career (if it weren't ended prematurely by diabetic complications and an Achilles tendon tear). To me, Zeitler has a high floor (not a huge likelihood of being an outright bust), but also has a low ceiling. Other day two guards like Amini Silatolu and Brandon Brooks appear to have a higher ceiling to me, but of course carry greater risk, since they come from smaller programs and did not face the talent week-after-week that Zeitler did playing in the Big Ten.

Even though I see OL as our biggest need like you do, if the choice at #24 came down to Zeitler or Hightower, I'd take Hightower and then target Silatolu or Brooks in round 2 (I see a bigger dropoff from Hightower to the next tier of ILB's than I do from Zeitler to the next tier of OG's). Even though I would be taking a risk that Silatolu or Brooks could be a bust, I think those guys have some intriguing upside if they are able to develop into legit NFL starters.
    I agree. After Decastro there is a crop of Gs with little drop off in the 2-3 range. Zeitler is the prize of that crop but you still may get a day 1 starter in the 2nd and 3rd with the same return on investment. If you are asking me to pick between Hightower & Zeitler... I'm easily taking Hightower at #24. I would like to know my other options though.

Hall of Famer

To me, Zeitler's value (or best quality) is the glue he provides to our O-line. That is--we need an injection of intelligence, leadership, and toughness in the middle of that line. So to me, it's not about him blowing people off the ball like Mike Munchak or something. It's about him just being a rock in there, solidifying the line. I'm not so sure I want him at 24 though.