Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steelers Throwback Uniforms

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    This has got to be the only reason we are dusting off the original look. I'm not sure that even celebrating 80 years justifies bringing back this atrocity of a uniform. Good God it is absolutely hideous.
    As was the play back then
    I guess that make it appropriate for the anniversary.
    I only hope our PLAY does not deteriorate to a throwback level of ineptnesss.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Steelers To Wear 1934 Throwback Uniforms in Week 5
    Posted 4 hours ago

For the fifth straight season, the Steelers will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms.

The Steelers will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms for the team’s October 9 contest vs. the New York Jets at Heinz Field. This will mark the fifth straight season Pittsburgh will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms.

The team first wore these in 2012 during the team’s 80th season in professional football. The Steelers donned their 1934 throwbacks twice that season, once versus the Washington Redskins and once versus the Baltimore Ravens. In 2013, the team wore them against the Detroit Lions, and in 2014, Pittsburgh wore them against the Indianapolis Colts. Last season, the Steelers sported their 1934 throwbacks against the Cincinnati Bengals.

What they’ve said in the past about the throwback jerseys:

Team President Art Rooney II on the jerseys from when they were introduced in 2012, the Steelers 80th season: “We wanted to use a jersey that we wore early in our history as we celebrate our 80th season. We have never used those jerseys since the 1934 season and I think our fans will be excited to see our players wear them in action this year.”

Defensive end Cameron Heyward: “I love representing the tradition and the history. I wish we could wear all of our throwback jerseys. It pays tribute to them and it’s kind of cool to see what we would have looked like back then.”

Tackle Marcus Gilbert: “It’s a change-up. Wearing jerseys like this is meaningful. It represents the past and great history of the Steelers organization. We will wear it with pride. We will wear it with swag.”

Receiver Antonio Brown: “I love it. You have to love it. It’s something special that the 1934 team wore it. You have to appreciate the value of what a Steelers uniform means. It’s not about the look; it’s all about the tradition and the history behind it. It’s something special. It’s unique and I think it’s going to be something great.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-To-Wear-1934-Throwback-Uniforms-in-Week-5/38bed136-1106-48c3-a4fa-2fd6e1f02013[/URL]

The Rams' offense featuring weapons such as Marshall Faulk, Torrey Holt, and Isaac Bruce were known as "The Greatest Show on Turf"

The Steelers' offense featuring weapons such as Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant should be known as "The Greatest Show on Grass"

This has nothing at all to do with respective playing surfaces at the Edward Jones Dome vs. Heinz Field.

2015 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steelers To Wear 1934 Throwback Uniforms in Week 5
    Posted 4 hours ago

For the fifth straight season, the Steelers will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms.

The Steelers will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms for the teams October 9 contest vs. the New York Jets at Heinz Field. This will mark the fifth straight season Pittsburgh will wear their 1934 throwback uniforms.

The team first wore these in 2012 during the teams 80th season in professional football. The Steelers donned their 1934 throwbacks twice that season, once versus the Washington Redskins and once versus the Baltimore Ravens. In 2013, the team wore them against the Detroit Lions, and in 2014, Pittsburgh wore them against the Indianapolis Colts. Last season, the Steelers sported their 1934 throwbacks against the Cincinnati Bengals.

What theyve said in the past about the throwback jerseys:

Team President Art Rooney II on the jerseys from when they were introduced in 2012, the Steelers 80th season: We wanted to use a jersey that we wore early in our history as we celebrate our 80th season. We have never used those jerseys since the 1934 season and I think our fans will be excited to see our players wear them in action this year.

Defensive end Cameron Heyward: I love representing the tradition and the history. I wish we could wear all of our throwback jerseys. It pays tribute to them and its kind of cool to see what we would have looked like back then.

Tackle Marcus Gilbert: Its a change-up. Wearing jerseys like this is meaningful. It represents the past and great history of the Steelers organization. We will wear it with pride. We will wear it with swag.

Receiver Antonio Brown: I love it. You have to love it. Its something special that the 1934 team wore it. You have to appreciate the value of what a Steelers uniform means. Its not about the look; its all about the tradition and the history behind it. Its something special. Its unique and I think its going to be something great.

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-To-Wear-1934-Throwback-Uniforms-in-Week-5/38bed136-1106-48c3-a4fa-2fd6e1f02013[/URL]
    Didn't realize this was the 80th anniversary year. Great reason to win #7.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Didn't realize this was the 80th anniversary year. Great reason to win #7.
    This isn't the 80th anniversary year...the bumblebee throwbacks debuted in the 80th anniversary year (team was founded in 1933).

The Rams' offense featuring weapons such as Marshall Faulk, Torrey Holt, and Isaac Bruce were known as "The Greatest Show on Turf"

The Steelers' offense featuring weapons such as Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant should be known as "The Greatest Show on Grass"

This has nothing at all to do with respective playing surfaces at the Edward Jones Dome vs. Heinz Field.

By Curtis Crabtree
    August 4, 2016, 1:41 AM EDT
    Steelers to shelve “bumble bee” alternate uniforms after 2016

Whether you love them or hate them, the 2016 season will be the last you will see of the Pittsburgh Steelers “bumble bee” alternate uniforms.

According to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Steelers will not wear the uniforms after the 2016 season.

The uniforms were throwbacks to those worn by the 1934 Steelers. As alternates, they debuted in 2012 as a tribute to the team’s history during its 80th Anniversary season.

The uniforms feature black and white stripes with black numbers on a white block background and gold-colored pants.

The Steelers long history has provided for some unique throwback opportunities. But after five seasons, the “bumble bee” unis will be no more.

[QUOTE=RuthlessBurgher;672603]By Curtis Crabtree
    August 4, 2016, 1:41 AM EDT

Steelers to shelve “bumble bee” alternate uniforms after 2016

Amen to that!

That makes me sad...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+# up and wear it.

I'm guessing the next generation of throwbacks we go next season will be the Batman model (black with white block numbers and a gold diamond-shaped yoke on the shoulders) from 1967, since the 2017 season will be the 50 year anniversary of that particular uniform. It's better than the bumblebees...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'm guessing the next generation of throwbacks we go next season will be the Batman model (black with white block numbers and a gold diamond-shaped yoke on the shoulders) from 1967, since the 2017 season will be the 50 year anniversary of that particular uniform. It's better than the bumblebees...
    No way!! those bumblebee unis were awesome... they are so obnoxiously black and gold!! I am looking to buy one, either an Ike Taylor, Heath Miler, or James farrior (even though he never actually played in those unis).

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthlessburgher View Post
    i'm guessing the next generation of throwbacks we go next season will be the batman model (black with white block numbers and a gold diamond-shaped yoke on the shoulders) from 1967, since the 2017 season will be the 50 year anniversary of that particular uniform. It's better than the bumblebees...
    every uniform ever created is better looking than that mess